League General Discussion Thread

• 2007 AAR League

Is there an introduction to the league guide? How do you get started. How to setup your first TripleA game. What is a common/fair bid ranges for the Allies. This could be stickied.

• '19 '17 '16

@akreider2 said in League General Discussion Thread:

Is there an introduction to the league guide? How do you get started. How to setup your first TripleA game. What is a common/fair bid ranges for the Allies. This could be stickied.

League rules are stickied in this forum.

Triple-A quick start guide: https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/17147/gargantua-s-k-i-s-s-triplea-instructions/26

Not sure if that’s all you’re looking for?

• 2007 AAR League

It’s a good start. 1) It should be stickied on the League forum so people can find it.

1. It should include more information about joining the League. How do I start my first game, what is a typical bid, what do the different ranks mean, what each acronym means, what the heck BM3 is and why everyone is playing it, why nobody is playing Europe 1940 or Pacific 1940 stand alones, why are my posts delayed 90 seconds (what do I need to do to stop this extremely annoying “feature”), etc.
  • '20 '16 '15 '14

Well, league has never included stand-alones as far as I can recall – before Global 1940, we were all playing Anniversary, for what it’s worth.

• '19 '17 '16

League rules are stickied, as are links to Balanced Mod version 3.

I for one have never played Europe or Pacific. Why would you?

Everyone is playing BM because most think it is better. Simple enough. I guess same reason for Global vs Eur/Pac.

Other things can be pretty easily divined.

Posts being delayed 90s is probably because you’re still a new member.

HTH

• @simon33 said in League General Discussion Thread:

Posts being delayed 90s is probably because you’re still a new member.

Think it has something to do with reputation and is a block against potential troll/spam.

• How does one join the league? I’ve been playing TripleA for over a year now, and want to start playing with other people online.

• @AndyCub said in League General Discussion Thread:

How does one join the league? I’ve been playing TripleA for over a year now, and want to start playing with other people online.

Just post a request for opponents here:

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/30809/find-league-opponents-thread/613

• @trulpen Cool, thanks!

• If I’m defending, with a carrier and some planes, can I remove the carrier, and still have the planes survive until my text turn, since I’m not allowed to move them?

• Yes, they just need a landing spot after the battle, or they die.

• 2023 '22

They can move up to one space for a safe landing spot if I’m not mistaken.

• @trulpen How far can they move after the battle?

• '19

@AndyCub one move

• '19

@AndyCub next round they move like normal planes

• @Sovietishcat So they stay in the SZ until the next turn, or they get one move to get to a landing spot?

• '19 '17 '16

Depends on if they are attacking or defending planes. Defending planes move 1 space if their origin is no longer valid, whether they are scramblers or Carrier based planes. If no such space is available, they splash and are lost.

Attackers use their remaining movement to find a landing space, and splash if no one is available.

• @simon33 like in sz97 no landing spots with in 1. lets say UK has a carrier and a fighter and and the axis navy hits 1 time. if you take the carrier the axis navy can retreat and the plan splashes rite? so would it be better to keep the carrier?

• '19 '17 '16

Correct.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Okay I admit I am new playing here. However, that is not going to stop me from throwing in my two cents regarding the rating system. :grin:

I see a discussion back in March that I wholeheartedly agree with @trulpen (His post below). From my perspective the current rating system discourages play from the top tier with the bottom tier. That in my opinion is counterproductive. I would think we would want new players to have the opportunity to play anyone to feel welcome. Not that “I am sorry but until you get a high enough rating I do not want to play you.” In addition why punish Top Tier players for playing against new players or players that are not as good as them? The ONLY way average players are going to get better is by playing better players.

From my perspective I enjoy coaching players, teaching them to become better, so that eventually they can challenge me. It also helps grow the community; when people get better at the game they enjoy it more and bring in even more players. Under the current system that teaching is discouraged.

I want to play in the League Tourny this year. To do that I have to be in the top 8 Players. Which means everytime I play a Tier 2 or Tier 3 player I am decreasing my chances of playing in the League Tournament. Why would we do that? Nothing should discourage any Player from playing another Player if they want to. Now that I will soon be at Tier 1 I do not want to play anyone below me and that is just wrong.

Many years ago I played on the Days of Infamy website that was just Pacific. It had what I would have called a chess rating. Though based on trulpen’s post perhaps it was an ELO system. The higher ranked person received as few as one point for winning against lower tier players and the lower tier players could gain as much as 18-21 points if they won. Sure it was a risk for the higher tier players to play lower tiers, especially since dice are involved, however they didn’t automatically go down in ranking as long as they won.

I would wholeheartedly support a change in the rating system to reflect not an average per win point system but an overall ranking system.

@trulpen said in League General Discussion Thread:

I know change is hard, but I’ve noted some internal and external frustration with the ranking system. It doesn’t really allow for play were opponents have a big gap. Being, say, tier E and playing tier 3 means that the higher ranked player will lose ranking no matter what.
    Even though it’s neat and functional, the present ranking system is actually flawed in this respect.
    I think that implementing something like the chess Elo-rating system could solve this? I believe the algorithm could be incorporated as it is.
    The point of difference is that with Elo a tier 3 could easily play against an E or M player, without the ranking being an issue. The higher player would most likely win, gaining a very small rating increase, but lose a lot if the game was lost. By the same measure the lower ranked player would gain a lot with a win, but lose a little with a loss.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m