Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• @Young:

because i had destroyers and he didn’t my subs can still sneak attack and submerge and his can’t

This is correct

• Official Q&A

To clarify, the rule in question (on page 19 of the Europe Rulebook) says, “However, if the opposing side has a destroyer in the battle, the attacking or defending submarines can’t submerge or make a Surprise Strike.”

“Opposing side” refers to the defender where the attacker concerned and to the attacker where the defender is concerned.  Therefore, attacking subs can’t submerge or make a Surprise Strike when the defender has a destroyer, and defending subs can’t submerge or make a Surprise Strike when the attacker has a destroyer.

Hope this helps.

• Sponsor

Thanks for that guys, I have passed on your comments.

• Sponsor

I’m making some cards as a game aid to remember the turn sequence and other things that happen during a turn. Would this list “technically” be correct?

1. Research & Development (Optional)
    2. Purchase new units
    3. Repair damaged units
        - facilities
        - capital ships
    4. All air units take off
    5. Combat movement phase
    6. Scramble defending air units
    7. Resolve Combat
        - strategic bombing raids
        - amphibious assaults
        - general combat
    8. Non-combat movement
    9. Mobilize new units
    10. All air units land
    11. Collect income
    12. Conduct convoy disruptions

• #2 and #3 Purchase and repair should be together (are simultaneous)
    #4 and #10 are confusing
    If you want to make it clear that defender planes have to be landed before the turn owner’s non-com is done, put it right before #8
    #6 add kamikazes
    #7 YES
    #11 and #12 are simultaneous and should be together

• Sponsor

I find that it helps new players to separate and breakdown actions as long as it doesn’t effect game play. I moved the repair damaged units ahead of purchase new units because an IC likely gets fixed before purchasing new units, but I understand keeping them together if you’re playing with the “can’t go back once a phase is finished or has been skipped” rule. However, getting convoyed before or after collecting your income can’t have too much of an effect, I just think it’s important to help new players remember what can happen throughout a single turn sequence. About #4 & #11… you would be surprised how many new players believe that air units on carriers must move with the carriers, they also forget that planes can land on new carriers, or new planes can land on existing carriers.

1. Research & Development (Optional)
    2. Repair damaged units
        - facilities
        - capital ships
    3. Purchase new units
    4. All air units take off
    5. Combat movement phase
    6. Scramble defending air units
    7. Deploy Kamikaze tokens
    8. Resolve Combat
        - strategic bombing raids
        - amphibious assaults
        - general combat
    9. Non-combat movement
    10. Mobilize new units
    11. All air units land
    12. Collect income
    13. Conduct convoy disruptions

• '19 '17 '16

I don’t think the answer to simplifying the game is to have more phases. Perhaps have a checklist with all those steps if you like, but I hate the part in Triple-A where you have to purchase units before combat movement. Politics and repair are also annoying. These should all be rolled into a single phase which allows going back and changing things. That would make it easier and more fun.

I could, conceivably, understand a scramble/intercept/kamikaze phase between Combat Movement and Combat. That might save a bit of confusion. And perhaps a scramble/intercept planes land phase after combat - it’s pretty obvious but it could be formalised if you wanted too.

And I agree about #4 & #10 being confusing - why are they there at all? Just think that all planes are in the air during your turn, if you like.

• I need a confirmation on this, please.

In the Notes on triple a it says:
    *(PE) USA may not end movement in seazone adjacent to Japanese controlled territories when not at war with Japan
    (Sea Zones 6,17,19,20,22,32,33,34,36, and 37).

Meaning that any US ship may not end ist move in 23, 16,30 and so on.

Example sz 16 is adjacent to sz 6 and 17.
    You can stop your Movement in neither of those sz (6,16,17).
    Correct?

• The rule is simply that when not at war the USA cannot leave any boats in a seazone that is adjacent to Japanese controlled territory.
    So no, no US ship may end it’s move in Zone 17 (Iwo Jima), but yes they can always sit in 16, 23, 30 or any zone that doesn’t have a Japanese controlled island or bordering a Japanese controlled territory (like on US1, Z37 is off limits because the Japanese control Siam)

You can freely pass THROUGH these zones that you can’t end your movement in
    The note is there because Triple A does nothing to stop you from breaking this rule

• Sz 23 on US 1 is ok for US; SS and DD and on US2, the US is free to end it’s movement in sz 16 and is still not at war with Japan?

• Right, since 23 and 16 have no islands, the USA can ALWAYS leave boats there

If I send the Philippines boats east, I almost always split them up so the Japs can’t easily get 'em both with a J2 DOW.  I wouldn’t leave them both in 23

• Oh man, I miss understood this the whole time.
    I had the opinion “adjacent” to the adjacent sz and I took really care of it all the time, so that If I would be Allies that my Ships are really not even touching them at all.

Thanks for clearing that up Gamerman01!
    I apreciate it.

You can now go on and laugh about it, at least I have to :lol: :lol: :lol:

• '19 '17 '16

Further to my last comment, if we must have combat movement as its own phase, I think it should be first, with repair ships happening as the first part of combat movement - or second with repair ships as its own phase happening first.

I find I always have to plan out what attacks I will make before I know what I’ll buy. That’s a bit annoying. Does anyone agree with this?

• '21 '20 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13

ipcs from west india should go to uk while india is captured.

Can somebody confirm that?
    Thanks

• '19 '17

No, West India is part of the Pacific Board in Global, so if India is captured and UK takes back West India, West India is still UK Pacific territory and hence West India does not add anything to UK Euro’s economy.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I have a question

Axis forces perform a heroic amphibious assault against a territory occupied by plutocrat scum.  We move the fleet 1 sea zone and then attack with a carrier, planes, destroyers, and transports unload during combat movement phase.  The undermench have an airbase bordering the sea zone but they decide NOT to scramble so there is NO NAVAL BATTLE.  Afterward, can the fleet (except the transports that unloaded) move out of the sea zone in noncombat movement phase?  Secondly, if there had been a cruiser or battleship in the fleet and there was a shore bombardment, would we be able to move in NCM?  Would the carriers, planes and destroyers move and leave the battleship/cruiser stay with the transports?

thank you

• '22 '21 '20 '17 '15

The fleet can’t move in both combat and non-combat movement phases regardless of anything else happening.  The planes could of course keep moving if you wanted in non-com to land though.

If the fleet started in the sea zone where the amphibious assault, then they could move out if there was no sea battle.  If there was bombardment, then the bombarding ships would be stuck but the rest should be able to move in NCM.

• Great answer by Snigg

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

OK thanks guys

• '21 '18 '16

Rules clarification needed. If UK owns Northwest Persia prior to DOW by Germany against USSR, can USSR move troops into Northwest Persia prior to DOW? Or must they mass on Caucasus and wait to assault Iraq.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m