• @eudemonist:

. I think things will look pretty awful for Russia after G1.

What I’m about to consider assumes Soviets play first than Germany and a Autumn 1941 setup - Barbarossa in progress, Soviets play first before Germans start Operation Typhoon - conquest of Moscow.

R1

• Buy 2 INF
    • Attack West Russia with 4 INF + FTR
    • Non-Combat 1 INF to Karelia. All other units go to Russia.
    • Place 1 INF on Caucasus, 1 INF on Russia

That leaves 11 INF, 2 ARM, 1 FTR to defend against a German attack of 3 INF, 4 ARM, 3 FTRs and 1 BMR on Moscow, or 80% odds for the Soviets.

The risk is that G will try to stack Caucasus on G1 (but will have to abandon Africa). The alternative would be to kill the Ukraine stack but that would cost a lot of Soviet units and German would counterattack.

• TripleA

@Hobbes:

• Non-Combat 1 INF to Karelia. All other units go to Russia.

i think ussr needs to abandon karelia
    i like the rest of your R1

• Does G1 Sub hit the carrier or the defenceless US transport? I too like your opening move.

• '10

Yeah, I don’t think the Ukraine attack is a good one for Russia. Gotta commit everything, and it’s still only slightly better than 50/50.

I agree Karelia is probably a write-off.

• @eudemonist:

Yeah, I don’t think the Ukraine attack is a good one for Russia. Gotta commit everything, and it’s still only slightly better than 50/50.

I agree Karelia is probably a write-off.

The reason why I’d leave 1 INF on Karelia would be to draw away German infantry from Norway or E. Europe.

• Founder TripleA Admin

In the first game, I played Russia attacked W. Russia with more units than described and was captured by G2.

In the second game I played, Russia didn’t attack W. Russia and just moved everything they could into Russia. With that, they lasted until G5, somehow.

Russia is basically screwed. This game needs a bid of about 2-5 IPCs. With 2, Russia gets an extra infantry at the end of the round. With 5 Russia gets on infantry now and one at the end of the round.

A bid of 6 would give 2 infantry at the beginning of the round for Russi but that might be too much for Germany to overcome.

• @djensen:

Russia is basically screwed. This game needs a bid of about 2-5 IPCs. With 2, Russia gets an extra infantry at the end of the round. With 5 Russia gets on infantry now and one at the end of the round.

A bid of 6 would give 2 infantry at the beginning of the round for Russi but that might be too much for Germany to overcome.

You’ve played 2 games of it and you’re already saying that Russia needs a bid?…

• I thought Russia must have attacked to lose in 2 turns. And losing in 2 is not on, so some remedy is necessary. Do you think a defenceless transport is wrong too?

• '10

@djensen:

In the first game, I played Russia attacked W. Russia with more units than described and was captured by G2.

Did Germany bring the two guys from Italy?  How much of the airforce?  And did you pull the Far East guys back?

• already suggesting more than i should, but…
    switch troops from west-russia and ukraine?

• Founder TripleA Admin

Yeah, it’s rough.

@Hobbes:

@djensen:

You’ve played 2 games of it and you’re already saying that Russia needs a bid?…

• Why is unoccupied China divided north / south in A&A 1941 instead of east / west as in A&A 1942 (and Revised, MB, and Nova versions)? And then two infantry in one territory and none in the other? This setup makes China too easy to conqueror and provides the Japanese an easy backdoor to central Russia.

A&A 1941 is marketed as a simpler, shorter playing game, but the China map and setup are just too ahistorical. I know, an A&A map and setup ahistorical, stop the presses.

Just my humble opinion.

• When is the approximate start date for A&A 1941? It looks like the late fall of 1941 just before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Is the play order the same as in A&A 1942? If so, are there any restrictions on the UK attacking the Japanese on turn 1 since they are not at war yet?

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I doubt it, but that’s a very good point.

• @cebrickey:

When is the approximate start date? It looks like the late fall of 1941 just before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Is the play order the same as in A&A 1942? If so, are there any restrictions on the UK attacking the Japanese on turn 1 since they are not at war yet?

September 1941 - the German army has just finished conquering the Ukraine and is ready to restart its march on Moscow.

• @cebrickey:

Why is unoccupied China divided north / south in A&A 1941 instead of east / west as in A&A 1942 (and Revised, MB, and Nova versions)? And then two infantry in one territory and none in the other?

I like this setup because China was divided North and South between the Communists and Nationalists. Not sure why the commies dont get any units, though.

• @Autarch:

I like this setup because China was divided North and South between the Communists and Nationalists. Not sure why the commies dont get any units, though.

During the war, Mao’s Communists only controlled a small part of northern China.  Showing them as controlling half the country’s total land area would have been a huge exaggeration – especially since Chiang’s Nationalists don’t have their own units either, as they did in Anniversary and Pacific 1940.

• Northern China should start with one Infantry, Japan looks snags that, and now touches Stalingrad on J1

Or……on R1
    Attack Manchuria with the Tank from Stalingrad.
    Preemptive strike.

• Or……on R1
    Attack Manchuria with the Tank from Stalingrad.
    Preemptive strike.

Soviets have only two tanks and attacking Manchuria costs the Soviets half their tank force. naw.

• Except then you are knocking japan down a pretty big notch, 2 IPCs is huge.
    You get to use your Far East stack offensively, and use your other stacks (archangel and moscow) and the fighter to knock out the Germans in west Russia.

Collect a cool 10 IPCs, and now put Japan in a position where one of it’s transports has to stay next to Japan, to retake Manchuria.
    You likely save yourself the headache of having Japan AND Germany bordering Stalingrad on R2.

Japan has to make a hard choice of what to do with its other transport, does it take the phillipines? or Borneo? Instead of both.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m