League General Discussion Thread

• @aequitas-et-veritas said in League General Discussion Thread:

It would be nice to add, that Subs parked in a sz containing TT’s and/or BB/CR the opposing Player must decide to either attack the Sub and can’t load and unload Land units or ignore it but must perform an amphib. Assault elsewhere to load and unload units…

Why cannot you load if you attack the sub?

"It is possible that some of your units may stop to attack while others continue moving through the sea zone.

Sea Units Starting in Hostile Sea Zones
    … surface warships (not submarines and/or transports) belonging to a power with which you are at war, …" p. 13f (Europe rulebook)

• '19 '17 '16

You can only load if the transport is doing an amphibious assault, it should be. Otherwise the transport will have been in combat and can’t load on NCM.

• '19 '17 '16

Getting an error with the dice roller. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Contacting https://dice.marti.triplea-game.org
    Connection failure:
    javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.Alert.createSSLException(Alert.java:131)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:350)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:293)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:288)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:1356)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.onConsumeCertificate(CertificateMessage.java:1231)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.consume(CertificateMessage.java:1174)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLHandshake.consume(SSLHandshake.java:392)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:444)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:422)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.dispatch(TransportContext.java:183)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLTransport.decode(SSLTransport.java:171)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.decode(SSLSocketImpl.java:1408)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readHandshakeRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1314)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:440)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:411)
    at org.apache.http.conn.ssl.SSLConnectionSocketFactory.createLayeredSocket(SSLConnectionSocketFactory.java:436)
    at org.apache.http.conn.ssl.SSLConnectionSocketFactory.connectSocket(SSLConnectionSocketFactory.java:384)
    at org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultHttpClientConnectionOperator.connect(DefaultHttpClientConnectionOperator.java:142)
    at org.apache.http.impl.conn.PoolingHttpClientConnectionManager.connect(PoolingHttpClientConnectionManager.java:376)
    at org.apache.http.impl.execchain.MainClientExec.establishRoute(MainClientExec.java:393)
    at org.apache.http.impl.execchain.MainClientExec.execute(MainClientExec.java:236)
    at org.apache.http.impl.execchain.ProtocolExec.execute(ProtocolExec.java:186)
    at org.apache.http.impl.execchain.RetryExec.execute(RetryExec.java:89)
    at org.apache.http.impl.execchain.RedirectExec.execute(RedirectExec.java:110)
    at org.apache.http.impl.client.InternalHttpClient.doExecute(InternalHttpClient.java:185)
    at org.apache.http.impl.client.CloseableHttpClient.execute(CloseableHttpClient.java:118)
    at games.strategy.engine.random.MartiDiceRoller.postRequest(MartiDiceRoller.java:95)
    at games.strategy.engine.random.PbemDiceRoller$HttpDiceRollerDialog.rollInSeparateThread(PbemDiceRoller.java:222)
    at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
    Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
    at java.base/sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:439)
    at java.base/sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:306)
    at java.base/sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:264)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.validate(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:313)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:222)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:129)
    at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:1340)
    … 25 more
    Caused by: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
    at java.base/sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.build(SunCertPathBuilder.java:141)
    at java.base/sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.engineBuild(SunCertPathBuilder.java:126)
    at java.base/java.security.cert.CertPathBuilder.build(CertPathBuilder.java:297)
    at java.base/sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:434)
    … 31 more

Please ensure your Internet connection is working, and try again.Visit https://forums.triplea-game.org/ for extra help

• I had also an Error but reloaded the map and it was gone.

• @gamerman01 said in League General Discussion Thread:

This seems like a good time to share my collection of notes about the Balanced Mod that I don’t think are in the BM notes in Triple A
    (Not a criticism)

1. Japan can’t stop the Zone 5 NO when not at war with Russia
    2. If Allies liberate South France when it’s Vichy, the fleet is destroyed but nothing else happens (unless the Free French liberate South France)
    3. The French boats have to be in Zone 93 to turn Axis neutral (could happen with Vichy in later round than F1)
    4. Victory conditions - the 6 or 8 cities have to be held for an entire turn, for instance, I12 to I13. If a city is taken during a full round, it “resets the clock”
    5. The Russian NO for +3’s in Europe does include Finland and Norway.
    6. The Axis can use the naval base in South France during Vichy
    7. If Japan walks into a friendly Vichy French Indo-China they still lose the +10 NO
    8. “Land units” does include AAA for purposes of stopping Vichy in South France, for gaining the Sardinia/Sicily etc. NO, for getting the North Africa NO (USA AA). But Japanese AA in China doesn’t stop the spawn

And now,
    9) Battleships and cruisers are considered “transports” for marine rules, that is, marines picked up in combat move must be attempting/completing an amphibious assault in the same turn, same rule as regular transports.

There you go.

#7 is in there:
    “Japanese occupation of French Indo China still negates Japan’s “Trade With America” objective.”

• @farmboy said in League General Discussion Thread:

@pacifiersboard as as far as I’m aware, that rule applies to marines on battleships and cruisers as well. So if you load marines on a combat move, they need to be making an amphibious assault that turn. Its why you will often see players leaving the marines on the Battleship and Cruiser rather than landing them on a NCM.

thx for pointing out what I set bold!

• Since we’re on the topic -

If you have one unit on a transport, in CM you can load and drop that unit for an amphibious assault, while keeping the other onboard because it was not loaded in that CM…

• @Adam514 @gamerman01 and all

I have been doing my homework meanwhile and also want to share (and expose) my florilegium

@Adam514 said in G40 Balance Mod - Feedback Thread:

@oysteilo:

this means that marines can’t be loaded to warships if you want the warship to conduct only a naval battle (no amphibious assult)? However, if the warship was loaded in NCM in an earlier round the loaded warship can participate in naval battles without unloading the marine?

Exactly.

@gamerman01 said in G40 Balance Mod - Feedback Thread:

No, it can’t because battleships and cruisers act like transports (as it relates to marines)

A transport can’t be involved in combat and then unload in NCM, so a battleship can’t either

@Adam514 said in G40 Balance Mod - Rules and Download:

After much deliberation, the marine-kami rule will be the following: marines can unload from friendly cruisers/BBs and the cruisers/BBs are not subject to kamikaze attacks, nor do they stop the unloading.

Reason: should be a rare occurrence, so might as well take what TripleA does by default.

[…] Ships can’t conduct combat and then unload in the NCM phase. If the Marine wasn’t already loaded though, you can’t load it on a ship if you aren’t conducting combat with the Marine. That’s the same rule as transports.

@Misterblue Transport or ship can’t do anything else that turn if it did anything during the combat move phase (moving, bombard, battle).

Hopefully nothing outdated included.

• @Adam514 said in G40 Balance Mod - Rules and Download:

After much deliberation, the marine-kami rule will be the following: marines can unload from friendly cruisers/BBs and the cruisers/BBs are not subject to kamikaze attacks, nor do they stop the unloading.

Reason: should be a rare occurrence, so might as well take what TripleA does by default.

I’m not sure about this one. Is this determination regarding non-combat?

• '19 '17 '16

G-Man, if you have an ANZAC marine on a US BB, the BB can’t have been in combat on the Anzac turn so is unaffected by the rule preventing offloading after combat. Or am I not understanding your question?

• No, you got it. What I didn’t understand is why “friendly” was in there. Of course marines are on friendly ships! I didn’t know it was intended to be “Ally’s” Thanks

• '19 '17 '16

More importantly, you can’t use a Kami on the US BB on Anzac’s turn if they are attacking with an Anzac marine.

• 2024 2023 '22 '15 '11 '10 Official Q&A Moderator

Leads to another interesting scenario.

It has been ruled (Krieghund, probably) that a scramble stops an unsupported amphibious assault from an ally’s transport

Similarly, I would think a scramble would stop an unsupported marine from coming off an ally’s cruiser/battleship.

Like Adam said, much deliberation. I suppose I can imagine kamikazes would target a fleet in motion, but marines getting off an ally’s warship (warship was moved on the Ally’s turn - Krieghund gave this very logic in explaining bridging across an ally’s transport - actually depends on which coast it’s on!!) would not be stopped by kamikazes because kamikazes pretty much always targeted a fleet in motion.

:p

• 2023 '20

rules question:
    Vichy has benne enacted. Germany holds Normandy and France.

Can Italy take Southern France with an AA gun on NCM? The BM rules state any axis occupation following armistice…

• You can’t activate a neutral with AAA, per Krieghund (Kevin Chapman, actual rulebook writer)

• Good question
    mainah
    I never thought of that.

• 2023 '20

@gamerman01
    Thank you gamerman.
    Wasn’t sure if southern France was truly considered a friendly neutral as you don’t get the land units or the fleet when “activating” it, and you can land air there without activating it.

• @mainah said in League General Discussion Thread:

ou can land air there without activating it

hu, you can land air there ?

• 2024 2023 '22 '15 '11 '10 Official Q&A Moderator

My internet here has been down for awhile, I was going to double check what their notes in Triple A say but haven’t had a chance.

The balanced mod came with the Vichy rules, so that is all a house-ruled set. In other words, 2nd edition out of the box rules do not include the Vichy rules at all - the Vichy rules were created by a team of players who developed the balanced mod that is immensely popular here in the A&A.org league

Vichy territories are pro-Axis neutrals.

You can’t land air on neutrals. You can’t “activate” neutrals with only an AAA gun

So you can’t land air on South France and you can’t take it over with an AAA

• 2023 '20

@gamerman01
    OK. Asking for a little more clarification.

Moving on from the AA gun, letting it be settled -

How are we activating a friendly neutral? The army there isn’t activated like it would be if Vichy Morrocco had an Italian inf move in. Even in the notes, its not labelled as a Vichy Territory like the others, it is called Libre Zone. The army and navy disappears. It’s more like a occupation of foreign troops, just not contested.

Would that mean we should be doing it on a CM move?

With the exception of Southern France (see discussion of “Zone Libere” below), Vichy French territory operates the same way as other Pro-Axis Neutral territory. An Axis player may capture Vichy French territory and commandeer its forces by moving a land unit into the territory during the non-combat phase of his turn. Fly-over restrictions applicable to other Neutral territories do not apply to Vichy French territory.

Fleet at Toulon: In addition to the change in French territorial control, the Armistice changes control of the the French fleet in sz 93, from French to Pro-Axis neutral. The Vichy French fleet maintains a strictly defensive posture. It may not be moved. It may not be captured by the Axis. The fleet is immediately destroyed if any power, other than the Free French, occupies Southern France

“Zone Libre”: Any Axis occupation of Southern France following the Armistice results in the scuttling of the Vichy French Fleet at Toulon and the disbandment of all remaining Vichy French forces. These forces are removed at the end of the Axis player’s turn in which the occupation of Southern France takes place. Any formerly Vichy French forces that were previously commandeered by the Axis are unaffected by this change.

Armistice’s Effect on National Objectives: Following the armistice, Southern France is considered Axis-controlled for purposes of Italy’s “Roman Empire” objective. Otherwise, the Vichy France arrangement has no impact on National Objectives. Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco must still be directly occupied by Germany or Italy to achieve Italy’s “North Africa” objective. Japanese occupation of French Indo China still negates Japan’s “Trade With America” objective. Liberation of France: The Allied liberation of France effectively terminates the Armistice. Any territory and forces still under Vichy French control (including any surviving fleet in sz 93) revert back to Free French control. The Vichy French forces in the Southern France and sz 93 will also revert back if Southern France is liberated by the Free French.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m