Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• Awesome discussion, indeed.  :-)

Thank you

• YG - for bringing it up

• Gamerman01 - for bringing me back to the correct path concerning that “escape SZ-issue”

• Krieghund - for the confirmation

• I forgot. Hence asking. If Italy declares war upon Russia and invades Eastern Poland and captures it, can Germany move troops into that territory during the NCM phase?

This is what is in the pdf file:
    “If your power isn’t at war, you can’t move your units into territories belonging to another friendly power or a friendly neutral”

Germany is at war with the UK at this point, but not with Russia.

• At the beginning of the game Germany and Italy are already allied and both at war.
    Germany may move units into Italian territories right from the beginning (and vice versa).

When Italy captures a Russian territory this territory becomes Italian.
    So Germany may move units into this Italian territory.

HTH :-)

• @P@nther:

At the beginning of the game Germany and Italy are already allied and both at war.
    Germany may move units into Italian territories right from the beginning (and vice versa).

When Italy captures a Russian territory this territory becomes Italian.
    So Germany may move units into this Italian territory.

Thought as much. Just wanted to be sure :P.

• @simon33:

Great clarification here. I don’t think this has ever happened for me though.

It’s pretty hard to find something not already considered in the rules!

Yeah, I’m with you
    Up vote

I had to insert a comment into my PDF copy of the rules because it’s one of those things I’m pretty sure I’ll forget by the time it ever comes up again

• Sponsor

Yes, thank you to everyone, it was a question from one of my YouTube subscribers that made me think deeper and question the retreat options in that situation.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Can the Flying Tigers (the Chinese plane) overfly the sea zones adjacent to China?

@A&A:

At the beginning of the game, China has a United States fighter unit located on the map. This represents the American volunteer group the Flying Tigers. This fighter is considered part of the Chinese forces for purposes of movement and combat. It cannot leave the territories that Chinese occupation is restricted to, even to attack and return. If it is destroyed, the US player cannot replace this fighter unit for China.

I think they can’t (fly over the sea), but I’m not entirely sure. Does movement that starts in Chinese territory and ends in Chinese territory actually constitute “leaving” Chinese territory when it uses a sea zone? I’m not talking attack-and-return, which is clearly excluded by the rules, and would indeed require a combat move out of Chinese territory - but I wonder about normal movement.
    It’s hardly ever relevant in practical play of course, but it would shorten the distance between Manchuria and Kiangsu or Kwantung.

• Chinese fighter absolutely cannot ever fly over sea - only Chinese land + Hong Kong and Burma

Rule says “It cannot leave the territories that Chinese occupation is restricted to”

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Thank you…. though the rule isn’t 100% clear to me, because the concept of “leaving” isn’t really described in the rules. Anyway, it implies that Manchuria to Kiangsu is a distance of 3 to the Chinese plane, and 2 to all other planes.
    Thanks for the confirmation.

• Any time

Leaving means…… leaving.  At all

• '22 '16

Can a transport that was already loaded with 2 inf from the turn before amphibious assault and only unload one of the inf?  I know if you load them during combat phase and attack they both have to unload, but these were pre-loaded from the turn before.

• @majikforce:

Can a transport that was already loaded with 2 inf from the turn before amphibious assault and only unload one of the inf?  I know if you load them during combat phase and attack they both have to unload, but these were pre-loaded from the turn before.

See

@rulebook:

During an amphibious assault, a transport must either
    offload all units that were loaded during the Combat
    Move phase or retreat during sea combat. It can also
    offload any number of units owned by the transport’s
    power that were already on board at the start of the turn.

• '16

Actual game situation in TripleA lobby:
    Allied navy with shipping of many nations (US and UK carriers with planes and supporting BB, Cruisers and DD; ANZAC Cruiser; French DD; UK and US Transports; Russian Inf on UK transport) in SZ 95.  
    No Russian shipping.  
    No Italian ships.
    Russian turn; Russian inf unloads onto Sicily, no defenders.
    Three Italian fighters in southern Italy.

Can the Italian fighters scramble?   We think not, as the shipping is not involved in the battle (it is the Russian turn).
    TripleA gave the option to do so.  Scramble declined for above reason.

If scramble is allowed who do they attack?  just the UK Transport with the Russian Inf?  Its not the UK turn.

Can we get an OFFICIAL ruling from Gamerman01 or Krieghund or another rules deputy.

Thank you

• @gamergray:

Actual game situation in TripleA lobby:
    Allied navy with shipping of many nations (US and UK carriers with planes and supporting BB, Cruisers and DD; ANZAC Cruiser; French DD; UK and US Transports; Russian Inf on UK transport) in SZ 95.  
    No Russian shipping.  
    No Italian ships.
    Russian turn; Russian inf unloads onto Sicily, no defenders.
    Three Italian fighters in southern Italy.

Can the Italian fighters scramble?   We think not, as the shipping is not involved in the battle (it is the Russian turn).
    TripleA gave the option to do so.  Scramble declined for above reason.

If scramble is allowed who do they attack?  just the UK Transport with the Russian Inf?  Its not the UK turn.

Can we get an OFFICIAL ruling from Gamerman01 or Krieghund or another rules deputy.

Thank you

Please see the Official FAQ:

@Official:

Scrambling
    Q. Say the United Kingdom launches an amphibious assault from a US transport without any
    supporting UK sea or air units in the sea zone, and then the defender scrambles. What
    happens?
    A. In effect, nothing happens. The US transport doesn’t participate in the sea battle because it’s not the
    US’s turn. Since there are no attacking sea or air units, there is no sea battle. However, the sea zone
    can’t be cleared of defending combat units, so the amphibious assault can’t proceed.

So yes, the Italians may scramble. If doing so, the Russians may not unload from the UK Transport.
    That’s all.

(Edit: two typos)

• '16

Clear and concise.
    Makes sense –  now.

Thanks P@nther

• Thanks, P@nther

• Sponsor

Gotta a question from a youtube subscriber and wanted to pass it on here…

I’m confused on the submarine rules of the game regarding sneak attacks had a game where in a sea battle my brother had a bunch of subs and i brought in subs couple destroyers planes battleships and a couple of cruisers. Now i know my destroyers negated his subs ability to submerge or sneak attack and allowed my planes to fire at his subs but the way the rules read because i had destroyers in the fight it also negated my ability to submerge or sneak attack him even though he had no destroyers… Because in the book it says if the opposing side has a destroyer in the battle the attacking or defending subs can’t submerge or sneak attack… So does that mean because i had destroyers and he didn’t my subs can still sneak attack and submerge and his can’t or does that mean because i had destroyers in the battle and he didn’t that neither of us can submerge or sneak attack because the wording of that paragraph makes no sense to me because why would my own destroyers negate my subs abilities but the way its written looks like it would_

• @Young:

because i had destroyers and he didn’t my subs can still sneak attack and submerge and his can’t

This is correct

• Official Q&A

To clarify, the rule in question (on page 19 of the Europe Rulebook) says, “However, if the opposing side has a destroyer in the battle, the attacking or defending submarines can’t submerge or make a Surprise Strike.”

“Opposing side” refers to the defender where the attacker concerned and to the attacker where the defender is concerned.  Therefore, attacking subs can’t submerge or make a Surprise Strike when the defender has a destroyer, and defending subs can’t submerge or make a Surprise Strike when the attacker has a destroyer.

Hope this helps.

• Sponsor

Thanks for that guys, I have passed on your comments.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m