League General Discussion Thread

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

Speaking about different TripleA versions: I think it is a good idea and habit if we would also mention the version number, when we start a new game and post the new topic.

That way it will be easier for followers to load and look at a certain savegame now or later.

Posting not only “good luck and have fun” but also the TripleA version number and ideally the bid spending should be beneficial

• '19 '17

@gamerman01 said in 2024 League Rules:

Bidding - is normally used to ensure that both players are satisfied with the side they will play.

Default settings for bidding:

Limit one bid unit in a territory or sea zone.
    The nation placing a unit in a territory or sea zone must have started with a unit in said territory or sea zone prior to placing the bid.
    China can only add infantry
    The term “unit” includes facilities as described in page 27 of the Europe 2nd edition rulebook, therefore facilities may be added with a bid, and another unit may be added to a territory with only a facility.

According to the bidding rules, they don’t explicitly prevent the bidding of land units in sea zones with transports/cruiser/BB. Is it legal to bid land units in sea zones?

• @Adam514 said in League General Discussion Thread:

@gamerman01 said in 2024 League Rules:

The nation placing a unit in a territory or sea zone must have started with a unit in said territory or sea zone prior to placing the bid.

I would say the default rules say yes it’s legal because of this wording

The term “unit” includes facilities as described in page 27 of the Europe 2nd edition rulebook, therefore facilities may be added with a bid, and another unit may be added to a territory with only a facility.

I would also say it’s in line with the default rules because the default rules even allow placing a unit on a territory that only has a facility (which would also seem unconventional to some)

@Adam514 said:

According to the bidding rules, they don’t explicitly prevent the bidding of land units in sea zones with transports/cruiser/BB. Is it legal to bid land units in sea zones?

Yes it is legal according to the default, which would govern if players don’t agree.

Remember that if both players agree, you can do whatever, including a Chinese bomber (that makes me sound like Cmdr Jennifer).
    But yes, the default rules allow land units to sea zones (would be cargo on transport or marine on cruiser/battleship) on bid

Happy gaming!

• 2024 2023 '22 '15 '11 '10 Official Q&A Moderator

My neighbor bought my house when we moved last fall.
    He likes fringe board games - not sure he plays them much. I could never get him to play Axis and Allies though we were neighbors for 21 years.

He owns 2 copies, 1914 and 1942 2nd ed. He tried to learn how to play them, sort of said something like “maybe you can teach it to me sometime”. Never did. He also saw my G40 boards spread out across my living room on a table, in full glory. Playing in parallel with an online game.

So in his game closet last night, he has 1914 WRAPPED IN PLASTIC. I think he got it a few years ago when it came out.

I don’t even know the rules to it, but I thought I’d offer to buy it from him cheap so that I can play it with no-one for the rest of my life.
    It’s $90!! What?
    So I go and download it with Triple A. It definitely looks very intriguing, definitely a very new experience with some familiar mechanics.

I guess I should look at 1914 discussion on these boards 🤦‍♂️
    Thought I’d share these thoughts to my familiar league buddies first.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

This is the 1914 game. It is quite good, definitely a different experience, though it does need some minor House Rules to make it balanced.

ab2f98d5-8add-46f3-8ee0-9aaf42c5a7a2-image.png

3cd559d5-51ef-4ec7-806d-1fa1deaa0db5-image.png

• @gamerman01 well if you’re still in Iowa you’re glad you don’t have a sidewalk to shovel today :) Hopefully you got a tractor for the driveway lol

Maybe buy and let it remain unopened. An investment :)

The diagonal look is too much for me. Although WWI was a big interest of mine years ago

• You know what, I should text him right now and see if he wants to turn it into cash. Less than $90. Then I can tell you guys what his number is

• @barnee I did delete my comments that were meant to be fun and interesting and round out your mental picture of my neighbor.

That said, I’m very happy somebody else automatically blades my driveway with a pickup truck any time there’s > 2 inches and just sends me a bill, that is for a reasonable amount. Everything’s better after the move…

Let it snow! So thankful I can get work done at home, but not doing much of that right now, I’m talking A&A

• @gamerman01 heh heh still operating the D-1 myself. Also known as a shovel :)

I’ll quit buggin on you guys :)

• 2024 2023

@gamerman01 I have 1914, I actually really like the contested territory mechanic. I think it’d be a better game if it was a little more focused, drawing the scope out to include all of Africa just made the pivotal spaces on the board like Belgium uselessly small for how many stacks of units end up in there…

Should check out the good captains YouTube series on 1914 if you want a deep dive on it!

• It looks wonderful and I hope later this year I have the time to read the rest of the manual
    No $ amount from the neighbor yet but it sounds like he’s going to think about it.

Sadly, I was away for the last 7 weeks because of a real life incident.

@gamerman01
    I just saw that you need to register for the 2023 playoffs.
    I guess it is now too late for that!?

Thanks again @mikawagunichi and @Stucifer for pausing our games during the last weeks!

I see the playoffs are already in full swing. Enjoy!

• Bummer, I definitely wondered about you, Gorshak
    You logged the 3 required games and each were impressive wins.

One can technically sign up for the playoffs any time before Jan 1, but I usually put the call out in the last 2 weeks of December.

I hope things are better in the wake of the incident. And I look forward to seeing what kind of successes you can have this year!

• @gamerman01 Can a Italian tank non com through 2 neutral spaces claiming them in North Africa.

• @dawgoneit

If I may jump in, see Game Notes:

• (PE) You are not allowed to blitz or move any units through Friendly Neutrals, including the same turn they are captured, unless they have been previously attacked.
  • '19 '18

If the Neutrals are pro-Allies, the Italian Tank is blitzing through both of them during combat move (only if the first one does not contain a hostile troop)

If the Neutrals are pro-Axis, the Italian Tank can move through both of them during non-combat move. In fact, a mech could also do it.

• @MrRoboto said in League General Discussion Thread:

If the Neutrals are pro-Axis, the Italian Tank can move through both of them during non-combat move. In fact, a mech could also do it.

what rule are you referring to?

• '19 '18

The same as you.
    As long as the first Pro-Axis-Neutral was previously attacked, you can move through it into another pro-axis-neutral during non-combat.

• @MrRoboto that is key though, a pro axis neutral would have to be previously attacked for it be walked through on an axis NCM. Otherwise a tank or mech would have to end their movement in the first one.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m