WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread

• '19 '17 '16

@regularkid said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

@simon33 you haven’t explained what’s wrong with the change. And others have said that it dramatically improves the Pacific Theater. I welcome further discussion of this and any other aspects of PTV, but a bald assertion that a perceived drop in popularity is due to the split in the Malaya sea zone does not pass scrutiny.

I feel that I already have. I am surprised you suddenly want to talk about it. Bids were already being put in for axis before this division. Japan seemed weak enough already. You have commented that a lot of Axis victories have been as Japan but I am inclined to think a lot of those have been because of inexperience; e.g. your victory over me after claiming Hawaii early on and me having an insane amount of trouble reclaiming it.

Anyway, those are some brief thoughts. I may have felt differently if other changes had been made that helped the axis and reduced the bids at the same time. I have posted previously that I don’t really like the way the China redraw plays.

• @simon33 said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

@regularkid said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

@simon33 you haven’t explained what’s wrong with the change. And others have said that it dramatically improves the Pacific Theater. I welcome further discussion of this and any other aspects of PTV, but a bald assertion that a perceived drop in popularity is due to the split in the Malaya sea zone does not pass scrutiny.

I feel that I already have. I am surprised you suddenly want to talk about it. Bids were already being put in for axis before this division. Japan seemed weak enough already. You have commented that a lot of Axis victories have been as Japan but I am inclined to think a lot of those have been because of inexperience; e.g. your victory over me after claiming Hawaii early on and me having an insane amount of trouble reclaiming it.

Anyway, those are some brief thoughts. I may have felt differently if other changes had been made that helped the axis and reduced the bids at the same time. I have posted previously that I don’t really like the way the China redraw plays.

Bids are not, in and of themselves, a bad thing. A small bid to decide who plays which sides, and to satisfy the players in regard to balance, keeps the game fresh. Further, the division in the Malayan sea zone was not for balance per se, but to improve the dynamics in the South Pacific theater, and for historical interest.

• '19 '17 '16

Ok, that is an interesting viewpoint. I tend to think high bids are a limitation. The change from BM2 to BM3 (+3 to Japan for holding Okinawa and Iwo Jima)I consider to be a mistake.

• '20 '19

@simon33 as a interested observer I’ve noticed before your antipathy to that particular NO. What’s your reasoning if you don’t mind me asking?
    It’s a small amount of ipcs, not too hard for the US to remove so doesn’t seem a game breaker?

• '19 '17 '16

@wizmark said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

@simon33 as a interested observer I’ve noticed before your antipathy to that particular NO. What’s your reasoning if you don’t mind me asking?
    It’s a small amount of ipcs, not too hard for the US to remove so doesn’t seem a game breaker?

Perhaps because it was the last one to be added - it was the change from BM2 to BM3, with the reasoning that Axis were getting bids and needed some help to rebalance the game. Then as game play evolved, allied bids started going up and up. So the entire rationale for it being added is no longer valid.

@simon33 But why complain about any NO that favors the Axis as long as you think the game is currently skewed in favor of the Allies overall? What do you believe is an appropriate bid for P2V under the current rules?

• @mikawagunichi said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

@simon33 But why complain about any NO that favors the Axis as long as you think the game is currently skewed in favor of the Allies overall? What do you believe is an appropriate bid for P2V under the current rules?

Fair call if you are talking about P2V although in the case of BM I think it is a valid complaint.

• @simon33 said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

Fair call if you are talking about P2V although in the case of BM I think it is a valid complaint.

Now that heart was definitely agreement.
    I won’t say any more since I have a balanced mod opinion and it’s the PTV feedback thread, and some of the same guys gave us BM and PTV

• '19 '17

@simon33 said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

@wizmark said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

Perhaps because it was the last one to be added - it was the change from BM2 to BM3, with the reasoning that Axis were getting bids and needed some help to rebalance the game. Then as game play evolved, allied bids started going up and up. So the entire rationale for it being added is no longer valid.

The changes we made are mainly for gameplay, not for balance. I haven’t thought that Allies were superior to Axis at any point in the development of BM. We started from unbalanced G40, changed rules and NOs to improve the game and end up with BM4 which is more balanced than G40 for sure, but perfect balance was never our Nerd Herd objective. Whatever imbalance exists is perfectly handled by the bidding process between both players, and a decent bid (10+) is a positive aspect and keeps the game fresh.

The Iwo Jima and Okinawa NO adds a bit of importance to otherwise ignored portions of the map, and is in line with the rest of the Pacific island NOs with the same goal.

• PTV is great but is it just me or is it really badly optimized? The map gradually loads up square by square and lags really badly, often throwing “Out of Java heap space” errors. Even restarting TripleA doesn’t help, and I have a good PC.

• '19 '17

@jkprince said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

PTV is great but is it just me or is it really badly optimized? The map gradually loads up square by square and lags really badly, often throwing “Out of Java heap space” errors. Even restarting TripleA doesn’t help, and I have a good PC.

Yeah the map is much bigger in file size, that may be the cause.

@jkprince IME the Java errors are common but are usually fixed by rebooting tripleA. How many games have you played so far?

• @jkprince said in WW2 Path to Victory - Feedback Thread:

PTV is great but is it just me or is it really badly optimized? The map gradually loads up square by square and lags really badly, often throwing “Out of Java heap space” errors. Even restarting TripleA doesn’t help, and I have a good PC.

We have a TripleA-Support Category on this forum to discuss issues like this one.
    So you find your issue - as well as the solution - there:

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/40729/heap-space-error

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m