League General Discussion Thread

• '19 '18

Thanks for your comments, dawg!

Actually, an ELO system would help all 3 points that you raised.

1. It would give incentive for top and medium players to play against you. I have not challenged you for a game this year because of the known reasons

2. Your PPG is kinda set after a certain number of games. Your 28 games brought you 75 points for example, which is 2.68 PPG. Even an extraordinary feat like winning against Adam, Gorshak or ArthurBomberHarris would only give you 8 more points, so 83 / 29 = 2.86 PPG.
      So your PPG would barely move, that’s why it’s hard for you to climb after a certain number of games. The reason: the current ranking represents the AVERAGE yearly result, not the current one.
      With an ELO-based system you ALWAYS have the chance to climb, at any point. There is always motivation for you to reach certain goals you set yourself. A win against a top player would catapult you quite a lot!

3. You are correct, sometimes 3 great results are enough for a good spot. And players could abuse it. Right now, Gorshak is #1 with his 3-0, even though none of the 3 wins were against top8 players and one was against #34.
      One could argue that scoring 8-1 is a bigger feat.
      So, without saying that’s what he is doing, it would be in Gorshaks best interest (if the goal is to optimize ranking) to stop playing for the year.
      An ELO system works completely different. More wins will always put you further and stopping at 3-0 will never get you a top spot.

So all of your points are arguments FOR a ELO rating :-)
    And lifetime or not won’t be a huge difference there… It will only make the rankings more accurate

• A way to ensure everyone can play against everyone would be to expand our playoff from 8 persons to 16 or 32.

This would only result in additional 1 or 2 extra games for the winner and if playoff games are prioritized I am sure they can be played fairly quickly and therefore allow for the additional game(s) during the year.

• '20 '19

For those of us with a non chess background, (maybe only me) can you explain what ELO is? In the words of Midge Ure ‘this means nothing to me’!

• I have no idea either.

• '19 '18

I am working on the post to show it to you, as we speak!

• '19 '18

PLEASE everyone have a look:

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/40302/proposal-for-a-new-elo-based-ranking-system

Feedback is not only appreciated, but highly sought after! After all, I want this to be OUR system, not mine.

• 2024 2023 '22 '15 '11 '10 Official Q&A Moderator

<Posting in 2 places because many more players are alerted to this thread than the other>

The following is written with the caveat that I haven’t had time to thoroughly look over everything MrRoboto has done - he has really been a busy bee the past couple of weeks, and I’ve been moving to a new house and focusing on the championship game.

Hi guys,

I am very excited with what MrRoboto has cranked out - he is very high energy and doing a lot of work to improve the league.

The final product of this effort is going to be awesome but it’s not going to be rolled out until I’m satisfied and also the majority of league players are happy. Or in other words, until we don’t have many dissenters. No one wants a change that a lot of people don’t like.

I’m only going to post publicly right now, that I have major concerns about an ELO system because I think you can only rise or fall a certain number of points per game, and few games are played by most players because a game of G40 takes a whole lot of hours as we all know.

It’s not chess, and it’s not a sport league where everyone plays the same number of games. This is what jkeller and farmboy have chimed in to say, also. ELO doesn’t work very well when few, or varied numbers of games are played.

I am writing privately with MrRoboto a lot, in order to make sure I understand this beautiful ranking spreadsheet, before saying much more. We will work together and keep communicating to you guys so you are kept in the loop. There’s got to be a way to level things out for vast differences in number of games played. The system we’ve had does a pretty good job of achieving this equalization.

• Also, I anticipate a very new system will be rolled out, but of course it will wait until 1/1/24.

• gamerman01 I am 100% happy with what YOU decide.

• This is where the action in the league, on revamping the old rankings system is.

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/40302/proposal-for-a-new-elo-based-ranking-system/2?_=1698764284876

This morning I just saw a whole new outcome when 2022 and some of 2021 data was added, and now I know that this revamped system is coming to all of us in 2024. Further improvements will be accomplished during November and December.

• '19 '18

We now have the data for all games since Februar 2021, more than 650 games.

82e65450-4a69-491f-84e0-59862ef3d6a2-image.png

Included are 140 PtV games played.
    Interestingly the Axis have an even higher win% in PtV than in the other types.
    I guess statistically we should stop giving Axis bids and play PtV with no bids or even Allies bids.

d9c55693-cf94-4b54-841c-0419f061637a-image.png

And balanced mod is properly named, having almost a 50:50 split with the current average bid of +18.7!

• @MrRoboto

My sense is that PTV is most balanced game because it takes only a small bid to make the game even or fair for both sides. The ideally balanced game would not require bidding at all, and PTV seems to have a chance of achieving this.

• 2024 2023

@MrRoboto Also surprised to see the average bid in PtV is only -6.6, I thought I was seeing a lot more 9-12 bids than that. However there were several 0-bid games from Regularkid and Adam514 that might have skewed the average down while the median is probably 8 or 9.

• 2024 2023 '22 '15 '11 '10 Official Q&A Moderator

Screenshot 2023-11-07 08.04.25.png

It has come to my attention that there is a new map with new sprites for G40. Indeed, the Balanced Mod 4 with 14 IPC bombers and Vichy ruleset is included.

I don’t know how much it’s been played and there could be bugs. My understanding is you can’t load up the game that you are playing right now, but you will start a new game to play this.

UHD World War II Global map in Triple A
    Look under the experimental tab.
    I think you need 2.5.22294 to see it, can’t use a .6
    That’s AFAIK for now
    It looks awesome, or if nothing else, a new look after all these years! If I had time to start a new game with someone, I WOULD, but I don’t!!
    So it kinda kills me you will enjoy this before I do, but I will do my duty to fellow gamers and let the cat out of the bag!

A feature that quickly grabs my attention is bigger islands. Should be great.

• @gamerman01 you can also get a darker look if you prefer by turning off “Map Blends”

Screenshot from 2023-11-07 12-38-22.png

Screenshot from 2023-11-07 12-36-05.png

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

• 2024 2023

@barnee @gamerman01
    Wow that is gorgeous!

• @mr_stucifer :) yes @Black_Elk did an outstanding job. It took me a couple games to get used to some of the new Frostion units, but now I don’t even think about it :)

• @gamerman01 said in League General Discussion Thread:

UHD World War II Global map in Triple A
    Look under the experimental tab.
    I think you need 2.5.22294 to see it, can’t use a .6

To run it under TripleA 2.6.x do as follows:

Go to
    https://github.com/triplea-maps/uhd_world_war_ii_global

Klick on the green “code” button:
    code1.png

Now - in the window that just opened - click “Download ZIP” to download the zip-container of that map.
    code2.png

Move the downloaded zip-file to the “downloadedMaps” directory of your TripleA installation.

After that start TripleA. The zip-file will be extracted and the map will be available from the “Select Game” dialogue.

Enjoy!

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

This is wide as triplea go for a look. Still missing some of the USA lol.

Screenshot from 2023-11-07 22-26-04.png

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m