• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Wolfshanze:

@Gargantua:

“Michael” is just a dumbass - who I hope dies soon.

If this were TOS, you could just put him in a red shirt and he’d die before the first commercial break…

The good old days when everyone wore colored uniforms.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I’m probably reading too much into the writers’ intent but Michael’s conflicting personality battle could be reflective of identity politics of today. There are expectations for what people of color should believe in and in some cases how to behave (and how to be perceived) and the same can apply to women. In this case you have a woman of color, who has two layers of identity to navigate through.

@General:

I’m probably reading too much into the writers’ intent but Michael’s conflicting personality battle could be reflective of identity politics of today. There are expectations for what people of color should believe in and in some cases how to behave (and how to be perceived) and the same can apply to women. In this case you have a woman of color, who has two layers of identity to navigate through.

That seems a complicated layering, whereas the Trek social parables tend to be more simplistically obvious. In the tradition of Star Trek, I am sure the writers feel entitled, likely even a responsibility, to use the show as vehicle for contemporary social commentary. Fortunately in the past, Trek was episodic enough that such parables were usually limited to singular instances. I hope that this whole show doesn’t become one long parallel for our current social problems, given that is modern, serialized show. I find that kind of plot writing to be lazy, condescending and uninteresting.

Your idea is interesting though and not something I considered. This day in age, it wouldn’t surprise me if you are right.

• Is this Micheal a walker? How did he die? Did Grimes shoot him?

@Imperious:

Is this Micheal a walker? How did he die? Did Grimes shoot him?

Actually, the first thing I said to my wife when I saw her in DSC was, “Ahh dammit, I thought she was dead.”

Having just finished S7 of TWD.

• '17 '16

@LHoffman:

@Wolfshanze:

If this were TOS, you could just put him in a red shirt and he’d die before the first commercial break…

The good old days when everyone wore colored uniforms.

TOS was the good old days when you could always count on someone dying before the first commercial break… TNG and beyond was always too touchy-feely for me.

• If Micheal dies he can go back to being a walker on the Walking Dead. Thats where they got all the actors from the new Star Trek show… as Walkers

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Michael is a woman.

And this is basically what we’ve learned about her character.  She is a mash up of a bunch of famed Star Trek personalities.  Instead of Michael they should start calling her Captian KirkspockuhuraJaneway

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

She certainly has the court-martial-be-damned moxie of Captain Janeway, who bent the Prime Directive new knots in the Delta Quadrant.

As Harry Plinkett asked during his review of Star Trek Nemesis (seems to age better given the Trek we have now) after an appearance from Admiral Janeway; “shouldn’t she be in a prison?”

@General:

She certainly has the court-martial-be-damned moxie of Captain Janeway, who bent the Prime Directive new knots in the Delta Quadrant.

As Harry Plinkett asked during his review of Star Trek Nemesis (seems to age better given the Trek we have now) after an appearance from Admiral Janeway; “shouldn’t she be in a prison?”

:lol:  If I could give this post +10 I would!

• @General:

I doubt it is anything so grandiose. She is first and foremost an affirmative action hire. They didn’t hire the actor who best embodied the character they wanted. They’ve tried to mash the actor they wanted with the sort of character they wanted and just got a mess.

The character is just a mish mash of misunderstood character traits from other characters. Since JJ Trek there is an utter misunderstanding of Vulcans. They are not passionate creatures that use logic to justify the emotional outburst they are having. The current writers misunderstand Spock and journey he has taken over TOS, TNG, and the films not JJ Trek. The entire script is poorly written.

As the first officer of a Federation starship you are expected not to mutiny in order to shoot first at another vessel. This is not a terrible burden to live up to for anyone. That character doesn’t get to recover from that or set foot on the bridge of a starship as anything except a passenger ever again. Total failure of premise from the outset with this show.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

After seeing part 1 and part 2 of Episode 1 - Star Trek: Discovery, I can honestly say I enjoy the graphics a LOT, and part 1 was pretty darn good, but part 2 has me a bit concerned.  Over all, I don’t hate it which is saying a lot because I really hated Benjamin Sisko and Deep Space 9. (Sorry, it felt like a bad rip off of Babylon 5 to me, that’s just a personal opinion you don’t have to like or agree with it.)

Though, I would REALLY like to see a follow up to Picard’s Enterprise dealing with the fall of the Romulan Star Empire, and everything else happening…that seems really lacking right now with the umpteenth billionth prequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RVf01en-YA

Always good stuff from RLM.

I don’t agree with everything they said, particularly Mike, but it was entertaining and well reasoned as usual.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

• Another reason why the show will last 6 episodes tops…

@Gargantua:

CRINGE

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/entertainmenttv/star-trek-discovery-divides-fan-base-with-controversial-nfl-protest-pic/ar-AAsCnYe?li=AAggSpD

Why? … Just, why?

Social media fueled groupthink may be the death of us as a species. Or at least of the Western world.

• Customizer

Good summary of what this show is really about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBb0hyuIfYQ

• Hate the modern ST stuff

@Flashman:

Good summary of what this show is really about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBb0hyuIfYQ

Wow. He is right. Well supported.

Thanks for sharing.

• '17 '16 '15 '12

So, after seeing the Context episode, in English, and as a 35 year Star Trek fan and follower, I add my opinion and say I am absolutely game.

I dont mind the look leap of faith. Enterprise looked more modern than TOS, so what if Discovery does. These are things I can really stand above.

Is it nice that Spock is her foster brother? I guess he is, as her foster mother is called Amanda.

Is it too dark? I dont mind. Its a change. DS9 is my favorite show, it was supposed to be mor gritty.

Do I need to analyse everything in our current societies context? Yes, thats a valubale part of Star Trek, but sometimes a tribble is just a tribble. I can enjoy and seek parallels without giving it too mich weight.

Looking forward to how this develops. The many links to Enterprise and TOS that surely come will be joyous.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m