• '17 '16

As far as “established lore” is concerned, i’m not a fan of the “Canon Lore” vs “Legends Lore” of two “equal but different, yet nearly identical, but not quite” established lores for the Star Wars franchise… its confusing to say the least and kinda pisses in my Wheaties… but to all but the most hard-core Star Wars fans, the two lores are (more or less) nearly the same.  Not a fan either way.

• '17 '16 '15 '12

Not much can be said to argue your points, Frimmel…

As for Mustafar, its in the novel, so there was never any doubt. Why they did not disclose it in the movie, I dont know, but oversight? THink they just wanted to “engage” the fans and give them a little test so they can be happy if they guessed right.

Why Vader is there, however, does not need to be questioned. There are several reasons imaginable, none of them ridiculous (albeits its clear that they wanted Vader in it because he is Vader…this criticism they would have gotten in any case, Vader on the Devastator or in his castle). Could be that Vader wants to self-inflict pain as he lost Padme there, could be that he wants to feed from the negative emotions, or Palpatine sent him there to keep him angry / unstable. In any case, I seem to remember that someone wrote that in the new canon Vader could be established as being the more solitary guy, only to come out of there if its really necessary and important. I think after the Jedi were purged, he might have been bored, and he is clearly not interested in the tech side of things, as can be seen by his attitude to the DS. Palpatine will need his henchman, though, so we have to wait for more books.

His armor looked totally crappy, though, considering this is a multi million dollar franchise. Or billion.

As for Red 5 , I think they wanted to point this out especially as Luke became Red 5 for the DS attack.

I am no fan of SW Rebels, but it was nice to see the Ghost and Chopper, as well as the bar guys from the Cantina.

And hype? Yep, for the last years I dont know I saw a movie that fulfilled the inevitable hype.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@alexgreat:

As for Red 5 , I think they wanted to point this out especially as Luke became Red 5 for the DS attack.

My brother mentioned that as a reason. It sounds plausible, but I don’t know why they needed to do it. That more than anything reminded me that they were re-using dialogue intended for the original Star Wars.

@alexgreat:

And hype? Yep, for the last years I dont know I saw a movie that fulfilled the inevitable hype.

Both Mad max and Interstellar did for me. I was not hyped on Mad Max, but many people were and it turned out to be one of the best films in the past 10 or 15 years.

• @LHoffman:

@alexgreat:

My brother mentioned that as a reason. It sounds plausible, but I don’t know why they needed to do it. That more than anything reminded me that they were re-using dialogue intended for the original Star Wars.

I think they put it in for running gag purposes.

Like:
    -it’s a trap
    -i have a bad feeling…
    and so on

Star Wars universe quote jokes.

• '17 '16

I just wanted to see the fat guy “Porkins” get roasted again…

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

let me ask a question (if it hasn’t been asked already), which is:

Why were the death star plans held on a specially designated planet, like the archive planet?  Why do you need a special planet to hold such things?  Why aren’t the plans kept under lock and key in the dock yards where the thing was built?  Or in Palpatine’s safe?  What idiot would send them to the “archive planet?”

I think that’s a pretty hokey piece of screenplay laziness.

I guess you can tell I didn’t care much for the movie.  I laughed every time the rebel base would “get news of trouble” and then be immediately able to get it’s fighters into whatever far flung action was going on in the far reaches of galaxy.  Even assuming faster than light travel, I doubt they could get the communications and react that fast.   That was silly.

• @Karl7:

Why were the death star plans held on a specially designated planet, like the archive planet?  Why do you need a special planet to hold such things?  Why aren’t the plans kept under lock and key in the dock yards where the thing was built?  Or in Palpatine’s safe?  What idiot would send them to the “archive planet?” Â

I think that’s a pretty hokey piece of screenplay laziness. Â

You may see it as a Back up Station or the fact that in the past, Rebells allready tried a couple of times to get their Hands on the blueprints of the DS.

The DS it self was infiltrated in aNH by an Assasin-Droid named IG 88B without Palpatine even knowing about it.

So far no Problem for a SW fan, since these kinds of Infos are in the Novels but I do see your Point.

Hope that helped.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@aequitas:

@Karl7:

Why were the death star plans held on a specially designated planet, like the archive planet? � Why do you need a special planet to hold such things? � Why aren’t the plans kept under lock and key in the dock yards where the thing was built? � Or in Palpatine’s safe? � What idiot would send them to the “archive planet?” �

I think that’s a pretty hokey piece of screenplay laziness. �

You may see it as a Back up Station or the fact that in the past, Rebells allready tried a couple of times to get their Hands on the blueprints of the DS.

The DS it self was infiltrated in aNH by an Assasin-Droid named IG 88B without Palpatine even knowing about it.

So far no Problem for a SW fan, since these kinds of Infos are in the Novels but I do see your Point.

Hope that helped.

Ok, I didn’t read the books so perhaps I am missing something.

But it seems like there are 2 options: 1, keep the plans locked up in the data “cloud,” which would mean they could be hacked by anyone from anywhere with access, or 2, they are in “hard” copy stored in a secure location. Why wouldn’t that location be at Curosant or some military base with maximum ability to resist instead of sitting in some far flung base, even if it was guarded?

Also, I guess I think the idea of getting “the plans” to the base being the surefire solution to defeating the threat is quite gimmicky. You can get the plans to something but still be unable to counter the threat. Having the plans to the MX missile may have been nice but not useful in countering it.

Finally, I have to point out that the whole “Dad built the Death Star” theme was illogical.  Why would he still go forward to build the DS even if his daughter’s life was in danger if he knew there was a reasonable probability it would be used to destroy at least 1 planet full of millions and the only hope to stop it would be the unlikely chance the “plans” could be found, successfully stolen, correctly analyzed, and then used to defeat the DS.  It wasn’t like sending a proton torpedo down the venting shaft was a surefire way of blowing the thing up.  It was pretty hard and required the skill of a so-so Jedi.  Why didn’t he just program a back door into the program running the DS and hand that off somehow?

I think the Disney screen writers are trying too hard to backfill a story that originally was not about the DS, how it was built, where the plans were, how they were stolen, and the DS’s design flaws.

I mean, how prescient Dad must have been to include a defense design flaw that was so obscure that it simultaneously escaped the defense review board and was yet extraordinarily, but not impossibly, hard to exploit!  What a guy!

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/01/01/disney-could-receive-50m-for-carrie-fishers-death.html

I was wondering if something like this would happen.

Hmmm… now I wonder if in fact they do make a digital version of the elderly Princess Leia just as they did with the young one.

• '17 '16

@LHoffman:

Hmmm… now I wonder if in fact they do make a digital version of the elderly Princess Leia just as they did with the young one.

Obviously the technology already exists to do so (ie: see Peter Cushing).

The only question left would be legality/rights/desire/too-soon issues.

This is definitely a Paul Walker moment.

• '17 '16 '15 '12

@LHoffman:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/01/01/disney-could-receive-50m-for-carrie-fishers-death.html

I was wondering if something like this would happen.

well, no way they rewrite the Resistance leader General Solo out of the movies. Not that I really care, to be honest, Leia didnt add something essential to the plot, other than grief for Ben. But one parent is dead, I am sure they had plans, how else to keep up the “emotions”. Let Rey fall in love with Ben?

• I finally saw Rogue One over the holidays, and I quite liked it.  It certainly did have some problems – I’ll say more about those in a moment – but it more than held my attention for its entire length.  I appreciated the fact that it’s set in the same era as the original trilogy, and that it involves what I call the “classic” Empire as opposed to the degenerating Republic of the prequel trilogy and the neo-Imperialistic context of the sequel trilogy.  It also struck me as being a more adult movie than The Force Awakens, and indeed quite a dark, modern-style war film in many respects.  I managed to avoid learning very much about the film before seeing it, so that I could watch it with as few preconceptions as possible, but I wasn’t suprised when the only “happy” part about the ending was that the Rebel Alliance (as we already knew decades ago from the opening scroll of Episode IV) sucessfully got its hands on the Death Star plans, an event that would eventually lead to the destruction of the Empire’s ultimate terror weapon.  It was appropriate that this accomplishment would be purchased at a very high price.

That said, there were a few things about the movie that were problematic, though none of them got in the way of my enjoying the film.  The storyline was somewhat clumsy, and I was perplexed by the lame “well, we might as well throw in the towel” reaction of the Rebel Alliance leadership when they learned about the Death Star.  A few picky details annoyed me; for example, there was the fact that the Imperial Stardestroyers and the AT-AT walkers seemed much mure vulnerable to weapons fire in this film than we saw in the opening half-hour of The Empire Strikes Back.  I also kept wondering why an Imperial pilot who had recently defected would have long and unkempt hair worthy of a rock musician; I had always assumed that TIE fighter pilot had neat crew-cuts under those helmets of theirs.  Less annoyingly, because I found his dry humour appropriately calibrated (in contrast with Jar Jar’s annoying slapstick in the prequel trilogy), I got the impression halfway through the movie that the reprogrammed Imperial robot was more or less a cross between a Star Wars droid and Marvin the Paranoid Android from the old TV version of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – the (depressed rather than paranoid) robot who keeps complaining with lines like “The first three billion years were the worst.”

All in all, though, a movie that I liked and that I’m planning to get for myself when it’s released on DVD – which is more than I can say about The Force Awakens, or the entire The Hobbit trilogy.

@CWO:

A few picky details annoyed me; for example, there was the fact that the Imperial Stardestroyers and the AT-AT walkers seemed much mure vulnerable to weapons fire in this film than we saw in the opening half-hour of The Empire Strikes Back.  I also kept wondering why an Imperial pilot who had recently defected would have long and unkempt hair worthy of a rock musician; I had always assumed that TIE fighter pilot had neat crew-cuts under those helmets of theirs.

The Star Destroyers bit annoyed me slightly, because it did seem unusually easy for the Rebels to take a couple out, without showing the requisite punishment they would first need to absorb. You have to hammer the shields a good while before you can just take out the shield generators at the top. It was kinda cool how the Rebels actually made explicit use of ion cannons to disable one. The resulting push by the smaller Rebel ship was over the top though.

I believe the rationale for the AT-ATs was that they were not standard armored AT-ATs, but rather some larger, less combat capable version that was used for transport/construction. At least that is what I read somewhere, so take that for what it’s worth. I couldn’t understand why, but it looked like the sides were made of plywood.

I think the Imperial defector was some kind of shuttle or cargo pilot and not a tie fighter pilot. That would explain the image and nervous attitude. Not that Imperial Navy members should have long hair; no answer for that.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I found ion torpedoes an overpowered plot device; who needs to set up and power a huge KDY-150 Planet Defender Ion Cannon on Echo Base when you can have a few Y-wings take down a Star Destroyer? The easy answer is Kuat Drive Yards learned their lessons from this battle and increased the shield capacity of Star Destroyers and the armor plating on AT-ATs.

I did not care for the droid at all, and was glad he finally bit the dust.

• The AT-AT’s on Scarif are AT-ACT’s (All Terrain-Armored Cargo Transport).
    They were designed for armored Cargo and to defend them selfs .

HTH

@General:

I found ion torpedoes an overpowered plot device; who needs to set up and power a huge KDY-150 Planet Defender Ion Cannon on Echo Base when you can have a few Y-wings take down a Star Destroyer? The easy answer is Kuat Drive Yards learned their lessons from this battle and increased the shield capacity of Star Destroyers and the armor plating on AT-ATs.

I did not care for the droid at all, and was glad he finally bit the dust.

Hahaha! Amen and well said!

• '17 '16

Geez guys whats with all the Android hate?  I found him neither a great joy, nor annoying… just another character to me… and compared with the Jar Jars and Ewoks of past movies… really… REALLY, you found this droid annoying? I would think you would be jumping for joy we didn’t get more Ewoks or Jar Jar… what does it take to please you folks… an emo, all-black wearing droid saying “you don’t understand me” and killing himself 5 seconds into the movie?  Man you guys are impossible to please… order up more Ewoks to give these guys something real to complain about.

@Wolfshanze:

Geez guys whats with all the Android hate?  I found him neither a great joy, nor annoying… just another character to me… and compared with the Jar Jars and Ewoks of past movies… really… REALLY, you found this droid annoying? I would think you would be jumping for joy we didn’t get more Ewoks or Jar Jar… what does it take to please you folks… an emo, all-black wearing droid saying “you don’t understand me” and killing himself 5 seconds into the movie?  Man you guys are impossible to please… order up more Ewoks to give these guys something real to complain about.

There was no android in the movie.

And what are you even talking about? Emo/goth, you don’t understand me, killed himself 5 seconds in… ?? If you are talking about K-whatever, then yeah, he is the one I didn’t like either. The character was fine, appropriate even, but the way they wrote him was so transparently as a comic sidekick and his lines were delivered at what felt like inappropriate times. Your characterization of him is exaggerated, especially in that he didn’t kill himself. He wasn’t ridiculous on the level of Ewoks and Jar Jar; he just wasn’t good and, in my opinion, was distracting.

• '17 '16

@LHoffman:

There was no android in the movie.

Oh no, I added “An” to “droid”… these aren’t the droids you’re looking for… Its this mindset… some people will sit and nitpick every little thing till there is nothing left to enjoy.

Stop going to Star Wars movies, you will never enjoy any of them, you will always find something wrong to complain about.

Some people just can’t relax and enjoy a good movie without trying to pick it to pieces.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m