Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• In 2nd edition G40 units hit by bombardment still get to fire back like normal.  I think you’re looking at a wrong rule book.  Site isn’t allowing attachments right now or I’d try to attach the PDF files…. Anybody got the links for this player?

• first off thank you for answering my questions promptly  :-D :-D :-D

sub rules confuse me
    1. if you sink a destroyer you can suprise attack after right?
    2. you can suprise attack every round if there is no destroyer?
    3. subs can submerge on any round that they are attacking which mean they are removed from combat and can not enter back?

• '19 '17 '16

Yes.

I don’t understand your question about the amphibious assaults. Ifthe ships aren’t in position after combat movement they can’t bombard. Those hit by bombardments get to retaliate though.

• @generalTrible:

sub rules confuse me
    1. if you sink a destroyer you can suprise attack after right?

yes, in the following rounds

2. you can suprise attack every round if there is no destroyer?

yes - feeding frenzy!  Same thing for subs on defense when no attacking destroyers are present

3. subs can submerge on any round that they are attacking which mean they are removed from combat and can not enter back?

That’s right.  And you don’t have to submerge them all - round by round, you can decide to submerge some

• @simon33:

I don’t understand your question about the amphibious assaults. Ifthe ships aren’t in position after combat movement they can’t bombard. Those hit by bombardments get to retaliate though.

I don’t know what your question is.  What do you call “out of position”?

• '19 '17 '16

I was trying to clarify the previous question. What I mean by in position is being in the sea zone the troops are landing from.

• OK, yes the cruiser/battleship must be in the same zone as at least one of the offloading transports.  You can actually bombard in the following manner:

Attack West Germany from 112 and 113
    From 112 you have 2 battleships and a cruiser, and offload 1 infantry from a transport
    From 113 you have a cruiser and offload 4 infantry.

You can bombard with both cruisers and both battleships because
    a) there is at least one transport offloading from each zone and
    b) there are 4 or more (5 in my example) ground units in total offloading

This one surprised me, but we have access to one of the main rulebook writers here on this site, and I learned this from him.

So I think you just wanted to know if the cruiser/battleship had to be in the same zone as the transport(s) and the answer to that is yes.

• '19 '17 '16

Sounds ridiculous. The rules state:

If there was NOT a combat in the sea zone from which you
    are offloading units from transports, any accompanying
    battleships and cruisers in that sea zone can conduct a one-time
    bombardment of one coastal territory or island group being
    attacked. The number of ships that can make bombardment
    attacks is limited to 1 ship per land unit being offloaded
    from the transports in that coastal territory. If more than one
    territory is being assaulted from the same sea zone and there
    are multiple battleships and/or cruisers, each ship may support
    only one assault. However, the ships’ bombardment may
    be split in any way that the attacker chooses, so long as the
    number of ships supporting each assault doesn’t exceed the
    number of seaborne land units in that assault. Choosing to
    destroy enemy transports or attacking enemy submarines in
    step 1 (above), counts as a combat and prevents the battleship
    and cruiser bombardment from taking place.

It also opens a loophole that a battleship can conduct sea combat in zone 113 then bombard West Germany if an infantry is unloaded from zone 112.

• But the rule says “any accompanying battleships and cruisers in that sea zone,” so that loophole doesn’t exist.

• @simon33:

It also opens a loophole that a battleship can conduct sea combat in zone 113 then bombard West Germany if an infantry is unloaded from zone 112.

No, maybe I wasn’t clear enough.  I never said a cruiser or battleship could conduct sea combat and also bombard.  Was only trying to explain multiple zone offloading and bombardment

• My understanding is that if your invasion fleet has to engage in naval combat first, before it can offload troops, then the land-combat phase does not get the benefit of the shore-bombardment. Technically the transport would be offloading while the Cruisers, etc engage in combat with enemy naval forces.

• You’re exactly right.
    I never said anything about naval combat.  The obvious assumption was that there was none, like in my example of 113 and 112

• So for amphibian assaults can you move a tank into a transport and then right onto land because it has 2 moves or is that a no no  :? :? :?

• :-) I can help you with that.

Forget about the 2 moves.  Infantry, artillery, mech, tanks, they all can load onto a transport that is in a sea zone adjacent to the territory the land unit started in, and be transported, and then unload onto a land territory as amphibious assault all in the same turn.

In other words, the movement points (1 or 2) is purely for movement across land.  It’s not a movement point to get on a transport and another movement point to get off.

Note that even though mech and tanks have 2 movement, they can’t move one territory, and then jump on a transport.

• '19 '17 '16

@Gamerman01:

@simon33:

No, maybe I wasn’t clear enough.  I never said a cruiser or battleship could conduct sea combat and also bombard.  Was only trying to explain multiple zone offloading and bombardment

I understood. I still think that is a ridiculous interpretation of the rules.

• thank you for the clarification of anphibious assults  :-D :-D :-D

in global does the us get a pacific war bonus and a European war bonus or just one?

• @simon33:

I understood. I still think that is a ridiculous interpretation of the rules.

Krieghund the rulebook writer reads everything in this thread……  :-D

• @generalTrible:

thank you for the clarification of anphibious assults  :-D :-D :-D

Sure, I enjoy it!

in global does the us get a pacific war bonus and a European war bonus or just one?

Ah, neither of the special bonuses that are in the theater games.  The USA gets the NO’s that are listed in the Global rules which are at the end of the Europe rulebook.

• what are the NOs for global

• http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/ah/AA_europe_1940_rules.pdf

You should be able to find the Pacific rulebook from this too - go to Wizards of the Coast website

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m