• '17

The USSR can’t attack Turkey without being at war on the Europe map.  I can’t find this spelled out explicitly except on page 12 where the header reads:

“Phase 2: Combat Move (Powers at War Only)”

• Whoa, Vance.
    You need to read page 15, “Powers that begin the game neutral”

There it is clear that Russia cannot attack anyone nor can it take over pro-Allied neutrals anywhere on the Europe map until at war. “Movement: A power that is not at war can’t move land or air units into neutral territories.”

Also, it’s not when ANY Axis power attacks Russia, it must be Italy or Germany declaring war to bring Russia into the war on the Europe map.

So there is no invading of any neutrals, Turkey, Sweden, or anything until round 4 if the European Axis don’t allow Russia into the war until then. :-)

• Neutral powers cannot attack neutral territories.  They must first declare war on a player power.  Russia is simply not permitted to do what you’re proposing.

That said, once a neutral is attacked (and especially if the standing army is not eliminated), it is no longer neutral and is treated as a FRIENDLY territory (again, not friendly neutral - just plain friendly).  They don’t belong to anyone, but the first friendly power that walks in during the noncom move picks them up.  However, that same friendly power is free to fly over (as they are not neutral).

They basically behave identical to how the Dutch Territories treat the UK.

• OK i see it now in the box on page 15.  Oh well it would have been fun!

• @Gamerman01:

Also, it’s not when ANY Axis power attacks Russia, it must be Italy or Germany declaring war to bring Russia into the war on the Europe map.

OK so now I have another question.  Suppose it is round 2 and Russia is not at yet war on the Europe map.  Can Japan declare war on Russia, fly bombers from an airbase in Kwangsi over Caucasus to land them in Romania, and Russia still not be at war on the Europe side?

• '12

If Japan and Germany were both at war with UK, and Japan declared war on Russia (who is not at war with Germany/Italy), then I think it would be Legal.  The Russian neutrality-on-seperate-maps-rule restricts the Russian movements, not how other powers move in respect to Russia (I think)

• '12

Japan not being able to take/reach Moscow without G/I declaring war on Russia counts as a weird exception.  :-D

• :-)
    That would be impossible anyway…  No way Japan can get to Moscow by J3
    It’s not that unusual for G/I to never declare war on Russia - if they let it go to round 4, Russia will normally declare war on them first!  Then if Japan takes over Moscow eventually, they would have done it with no G/I declaration  :-D

Right?

• Official Q&A

@Vance:

OK so now I have another question.  Suppose it is round 2 and Russia is not at yet war on the Europe map.  Can Japan declare war on Russia, fly bombers from an airbase in Kwangsi over Caucasus to land them in Romania, and Russia still not be at war on the Europe side?Â

Yes, it’s legal.  The USSR is still under the restrictions of a neutral power on the Europe map, but Japan is not.  Japan and the USSR are at war, so Japan can fly over Soviet territories.

• Whoops -
    errant post deleted

Glad you’re so fast on the draw

• '12

@Krieghund:

@Vance:

OK so now I have another question.�  Suppose it is round 2 and Russia is not at yet war on the Europe map.�  Can Japan declare war on Russia, fly bombers from an airbase in Kwangsi over Caucasus to land them in Romania, and Russia still not be at war on the Europe side?�Â

Yes, it’s legal.  The USSR is still under the restrictions of a neutral power on the Europe map, but Japan is not.  Japan and the USSR are at war, so Japan can fly over Soviet territories.

Well worded, sir.  Thanks for your help.

• Nice!  Thank you!  The med will never be the same with my new Japanese bomber base in Greece muahahahaa

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gamerman01:

So Japan can bomb the crap out of Russia from the west, and Russia won’t consider it an act of war by Germany for supporting the bombings.  Bizarre.  Rules are rules
    Not the first and not the last bit of craziness allowed by A&A  :-)

I like how Italy or Germany (more likely the latter) can take all the Russian states bordering on Mongolia and Mongolia will no longer care if Japan runs tanks through the area.  Not going to have an impact in most games, but still a weird rule considering how Larry worded the Mongolian rule and all….

• Ah - good one, Jenn
    Very true

• '12

If the axis have overrun Russia completely from the west, and reached the far east…yeah, Mongolia would want to keep a low profile.

@moralecheck:

If the axis have overrun Russia completely from the west, and reached the far east…yeah, Mongolia would want to keep a low profile.

I think you are failing to think outside of the box.

Early German landing in northern Russia with a blitz over to China.  Basically, it’s an end run across Russia.  Reinforce them with Japanese asap and you have a nice back door.

• TripleA

i think… the real life mongolian people would cower in fear if germany took russia over… i think that was what he was eluding to.

@Cow:

i think… the real life mongolian people would cower in fear if germany took russia over… i think that was what he was eluding to.

Yes, I got that.  He misunderstood my point, I was saying if Germany takes the Far East w/o taking Russia over, just blitzing and running like heck to get there and then allow Japan to walk through unopposed.

• '20 '19 '18 '15 '13

The unlikely part of this scenario, Jenn, is that Germany would run into a wall of 15-18 Russian Infantry along the way. Not much opportunity to blitz…

@Odonis:

The unlikely part of this scenario, Jenn, is that Germany would run into a wall of 15-18 Russian Infantry along the way. Not much opportunity to blitz…

Hmm, yes, if Germany decided to go from west to east over Mongolia.  I was thinking more in tandem with a Japanese push through China.  More of an “after the fact” move.  Japan takes China and Germany drives through to Manchuria and then up and over.

Not saying this is a good move, but it’s got a certain psychological impact on an opponent, at least the first time s/he sees it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m