• @Gamerman01:

Also, it’s not when ANY Axis power attacks Russia, it must be Italy or Germany declaring war to bring Russia into the war on the Europe map.

OK so now I have another question.  Suppose it is round 2 and Russia is not at yet war on the Europe map.  Can Japan declare war on Russia, fly bombers from an airbase in Kwangsi over Caucasus to land them in Romania, and Russia still not be at war on the Europe side?

• '12

If Japan and Germany were both at war with UK, and Japan declared war on Russia (who is not at war with Germany/Italy), then I think it would be Legal.  The Russian neutrality-on-seperate-maps-rule restricts the Russian movements, not how other powers move in respect to Russia (I think)

• '12

Japan not being able to take/reach Moscow without G/I declaring war on Russia counts as a weird exception.  :-D

• :-)
    That would be impossible anyway…  No way Japan can get to Moscow by J3
    It’s not that unusual for G/I to never declare war on Russia - if they let it go to round 4, Russia will normally declare war on them first!  Then if Japan takes over Moscow eventually, they would have done it with no G/I declaration  :-D

Right?

• Official Q&A

@Vance:

OK so now I have another question.  Suppose it is round 2 and Russia is not at yet war on the Europe map.  Can Japan declare war on Russia, fly bombers from an airbase in Kwangsi over Caucasus to land them in Romania, and Russia still not be at war on the Europe side?Â

Yes, it’s legal.  The USSR is still under the restrictions of a neutral power on the Europe map, but Japan is not.  Japan and the USSR are at war, so Japan can fly over Soviet territories.

• Whoops -
    errant post deleted

Glad you’re so fast on the draw

• '12

@Krieghund:

@Vance:

OK so now I have another question.�  Suppose it is round 2 and Russia is not at yet war on the Europe map.�  Can Japan declare war on Russia, fly bombers from an airbase in Kwangsi over Caucasus to land them in Romania, and Russia still not be at war on the Europe side?�Â

Yes, it’s legal.  The USSR is still under the restrictions of a neutral power on the Europe map, but Japan is not.  Japan and the USSR are at war, so Japan can fly over Soviet territories.

Well worded, sir.  Thanks for your help.

• Nice!  Thank you!  The med will never be the same with my new Japanese bomber base in Greece muahahahaa

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gamerman01:

So Japan can bomb the crap out of Russia from the west, and Russia won’t consider it an act of war by Germany for supporting the bombings.  Bizarre.  Rules are rules
    Not the first and not the last bit of craziness allowed by A&A  :-)

I like how Italy or Germany (more likely the latter) can take all the Russian states bordering on Mongolia and Mongolia will no longer care if Japan runs tanks through the area.  Not going to have an impact in most games, but still a weird rule considering how Larry worded the Mongolian rule and all….

• Ah - good one, Jenn
    Very true

• '12

If the axis have overrun Russia completely from the west, and reached the far east…yeah, Mongolia would want to keep a low profile.

@moralecheck:

If the axis have overrun Russia completely from the west, and reached the far east…yeah, Mongolia would want to keep a low profile.

I think you are failing to think outside of the box.

Early German landing in northern Russia with a blitz over to China.  Basically, it’s an end run across Russia.  Reinforce them with Japanese asap and you have a nice back door.

• TripleA

i think… the real life mongolian people would cower in fear if germany took russia over… i think that was what he was eluding to.

@Cow:

i think… the real life mongolian people would cower in fear if germany took russia over… i think that was what he was eluding to.

Yes, I got that.  He misunderstood my point, I was saying if Germany takes the Far East w/o taking Russia over, just blitzing and running like heck to get there and then allow Japan to walk through unopposed.

• '20 '19 '18 '15 '13

The unlikely part of this scenario, Jenn, is that Germany would run into a wall of 15-18 Russian Infantry along the way. Not much opportunity to blitz…

@Odonis:

The unlikely part of this scenario, Jenn, is that Germany would run into a wall of 15-18 Russian Infantry along the way. Not much opportunity to blitz…

Hmm, yes, if Germany decided to go from west to east over Mongolia.  I was thinking more in tandem with a Japanese push through China.  More of an “after the fact” move.  Japan takes China and Germany drives through to Manchuria and then up and over.

Not saying this is a good move, but it’s got a certain psychological impact on an opponent, at least the first time s/he sees it.

• @Cmdr:

@Odonis:

Hmm, yes, if Germany decided to go from west to east over Mongolia.  I was thinking more in tandem with a Japanese push through China.  More of an “after the fact” move.  Japan takes China and Germany drives through to Manchuria and then up and over.Â

Not saying this is a good move, but it’s got a certain psychological impact on an opponent, at least the first time s/he sees it.

Considering most people stagger instead of stack, I could see where Jen is making her point, especially if you use the Japan AF to blow away 6-7 inf in one attack.

@Mallery29:

@Cmdr:

@Odonis:

Hmm, yes, if Germany decided to go from west to east over Mongolia.�  I was thinking more in tandem with a Japanese push through China.�  More of an “after the fact” move.�  Japan takes China and Germany drives through to Manchuria and then up and over.�Â

Considering most people stagger instead of stack, I could see where Jen is making her point, especially if you use the Japan AF to blow away 6-7 inf in one attack.Â

You could use the air force for that, and I do that quite often on Indian or Chinese stacks (as strategically necessary, of course) but I am thinking more of running your tanks into China.

Course, I didnt think of clearing the Russians out with the Air force.  Even with that idea, I’d say China is better, otherwise, you drag Russian infantry back to the east (which maybe is what you want?)

• @Gamerman01:

So Japan can bomb the crap out of Russia from the west, and Russia won’t consider it an act of war by Germany for supporting the bombings.�  Bizarre.�  Rules are rules
    Not the first and not the last bit of craziness allowed by A&A�  :-)

My favorite is how you can bombard France from the Mediterranean with the Italians in AA50 immediately after the UK lands on the Northern coast of France.�  Now those are some long range BB guns.�  Can shoot hundreds of miles.

And…… that’s about 11 straight off-topic posts - probably my fault for posting the above.
    This is the FAQ thread and it’s hard enough to find answers to questions without a bunch of off-topic posts.
    If you would like to discuss your out of the box idea about Germany and Mongolia, please start a thread, Jenn.
    Be a good example for the rest of us.  :wink:
    And it would be nice if you would remove the off-topic posts.

• Trapped-planes-inside-a-carrier topic, again…

Hi everyone. I own the two 1940 games for almost a year now, but unfortunately our small group here in Croatia hasn’t had a chance to play the Global that often, hence only now this first posting. This summer we are trying to set it straight somewhat. In the process, I seem to spend more time here and on the HGD site reading about it than actually playing the game, and yet it is hard to believe that we still have some questions that appear not to have been mentioned yet. Nah, it must have been my frenzied reading and missing it.

Anyway, here is the rather simplish scenario that almost happened in our last game: European Axis concentrated on the Brits and left the Soviets alone until R4. Along the way, Germany built a carrier in the Med to help protect the Italian transports, and later received Italian aircraft aboard. Now, the Soviets at the beginning of the R4 combat movement have the option to declare war on any or all Axis powers. They choose to DOW only on Germany. After that they move their aircraft to attack the sea zone with the German carrier in it, along with the Italian planes and any other naval units that happen to be there. Is it not that only the German navy fights? Italians are still not at war with the Soviets! Now, if the carrier is damaged and Soviets retreat (or are destroyed), what happens to the Italian air? I know it has been said repeatedly that only attacking foreign planes may be trapped inside a carrier, but how to resolve this situation?

Thanks in advance and cheers, EG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m