• No building in DC may be taller than 13 floors. this is so that no matter where in the city you are, you can see the monument to ourfirst president, Washington.

In Somalia, Africa, it’s been decreed illegal to carry old chewing gum stuck on the tip of your nose.

Found on a butane lighter: “Warning: Flame may cause fire.”

In Hartford Conneticut, it is illegal for a husband to kiss his wife on Sundays.

In Sweden, when leaving someone’s home, wait until you get to the doorway to step outside before putting on your coat. To do so earlier suggests you are eager to leave. When entering or departing a Russian home, it is considered very bad form to shake hands across the threshold.

During WW II., bakers in the U.S. were ordered to stop selling sliced bread for the duration of the war on January 18, 1943. Only whole loaves were made available to the public. It was never explained how this action helped the war effort.

In the Middle Ages, the highest court in France ordered the execution of a cow for injuring a human.

In Bavaria Germany, beer is equal to food by law.

Feel free to add to the list. :-)

• Afternoon Aequitas.
    In Hereford(where I have lived since 91) it is legal to kill a Welshman on the Cathedral Close on a Sunday, as long as you use a Longbow.
    My Engkish daughter is getting her first bow for her 5th birthday.

• Customizer

Don’t forget the arrows, and good hunting.

• I would like go think any Englishman/woman worth their salt could make their own by aged five. Otherwise, what on earth is school good for!

• There used to be an entire TV show that revolved around the concept of obscure laws:

This Is the Law was a Canadian panel game show which aired on CBC Television from 1971 to 1976. It presented short, humorous vignettes which ran with musical accompaniment rather than a soundtrack, and challenged panelists to guess which (obscure) law was being broken by the “Lawbreaker” character (portrayed by Paul Soles), who always got arrested at the end of the vignette (Robert Warner starred as the police officer). The vignettes were quite subtle, and more often than not, despite many guesses, the panelists were unable to come up with the law that was actually being broken.

• I think that in Ontario the Hotel and Innkepers Act (or whatever it’s called) still includes a clause saying that if a customer fails to pay his bill the innkeeper can seize his horse in lieu of payment.

• In the state of Queensland, Australia, it is still constitutional law that all pubs (hotel/bar) must have a railing outside for patrons to tie up their horse.

• Don’t know about you guys, but I never go anywhere without my horse!

• Seems like there are a lot of laws involving horses.

Here in Kentucky, the word is that it was illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket.  The reason being is that this was a method used in stealing horses - the horse would follow you wherever you roamed, thus you didn’t “technically” steal the horse.

• That is excellent Jermofoot. Liked that one.

• @Jermofoot:

Here in Kentucky, the word is that it was illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket.  The reason being is that this was a method used in stealing horses - the horse would follow you wherever you roamed, thus you didn’t “technically” steal the horse.

An imaginative but somewhat perplexing law.  Given that Kentucky supposedly has a subtropical climate, how long would an ice cream cone survive outdoors without melting (especially when tucked into a warm back pocket)?

Still, I suppose that horse-related laws are no laughing matter in Kentucky, which has a long equestrian tradition.

• ice cream cones and melting?? the Ice cream of course but the cone it self as well??

• @aequitas:

ice cream cones and melting?? the Ice cream of course but the cone it self as well??

Fair enough.  Just because I’d personally find an empty ice-cream cone uninteresting doesn’t mean a horse would feel the same way.  And it would avoid leaving a trail of melted ice cream on the ground, which the police (or lynching mob, if horse rustling is still handled that way) would follow to the perpetrator’s home.

• I thought more of a reply like ,ya because here in Kentucky or somewhere else they are made of choclate,or something  :-D

• Snoring is prohibited in Massachusetts unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked. It is also illegal to go to bed without first having a full bath.

• @CWO:

@Jermofoot:

An imaginative but somewhat perplexing law.  Given that Kentucky supposedly has a subtropical climate, how long would an ice cream cone survive outdoors without melting (especially when tucked into a warm back pocket)?

Still, I suppose that horse-related laws are no laughing matter in Kentucky, which has a long equestrian tradition.

At least in my waking years, there’s quite a swing in temperature: the state seems bipolar when it comes to weather.  Typical horse racing times (fall, spring) can go either way, really.  I wouldn’t put too much faith into an arbitrary line - you’d have to visit to see.

• There is an old law in Texas against carrying concealed wire cutters.

• http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2014/03/michigan-city-to-axe-unenforceable-ban-on-being-wilfully-annoying.html

An “unenforceable” ban on “willfully” annoying a person is set to get the axe in a Michigan city. The Grand Rapids City Commission is striking a section of city code that states “no person shall willfully annoy another person,” according to a Grand Rapids Press report. The city attorney says the 38-year-old section is “subject to a variety of interpretations” on what is deemed annoying, recommending that the language be abolished, Grand Rapids Press reported.

• In Athens, Greece, a driver’s lcense can be taken away by law if the driver is deemed either “unbathed” or “poorly dressed”.

• In New York State, it is still illegal to shoot a rabbit from a moving trolley car.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m