Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• '20 '16 '15 '14

And people ask me why I still play in chess tournaments…… let’s just say nary a rule change (from a game mechanics perspective) since the Renaissance… ;)

• @DizzKneeLand33:

omg….what D-Day rule??  Did I miss that one in-between turns, or perhaps it was tax season??

Well that explains your silence
    That’s right, Jenn was kicking around the idea of allowing the Allies to attack together in NW Europe in next year’s league.  Believe me, I was all over that.

If you have any more league discussion, please use the league thread - thanks

• @DizzKneeLand33:

And people ask me why I still play in chess tournaments…… let’s just say nary a rule change (from a game mechanics perspective) since the Renaissance… ;)

I always have at least a few chess games going….

Gotta love the fact that when you go to capture their queen with a pawn, you don’t have to roll a die to see if it succeeds  :-P
    Flying over AA can be heart-stopping!  :lol:

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

The way I see it is this:

A. If the rules do not specifically ban it, then it’s legal.  
    Bidding is a house rule, it’s not to be found in the rule books, or I have yet to see it as even an optional rule.  For perspective, TECH is optional and is mentioned in the rule book, so it’s not a house rule even if implemented in a game.
    B. The rules already put non-Chinese units on the board for China and allow China to use them as if they owned them.  Allowing them to do the same for other pieces does not feel like much of a stretch, just annoying because now Veqyrn may have to go back into TripleA and edit it so these pieces can be added. lol. (Sorry, it’s literally the most annoying thing I can think of, and even that is tenuous because how many people are going to bid Strategic Bombers or Tanks for China?)
    C.  The spirit of the bidding rule is to allow the player to make up for the fact that s/he feels his/her side cannot win with what it starts with.  If they think a tactical bomber for China (and 11 IPC might not be too much of a stretch to see in a bid) is what they need to contain Japan long enough for America to come in, then let them.  If you don’t want to see that happen, counter bid 9 IPC and bar the option from even being on the table.  Likewise, 1 armored unit is probably not optimal for China, it’s too hard to both use and protect at the same time, though it might come in handy at times as a piece that can stay in newly conquered territories, then again, the planes can retreat from forward positions to safe areas so they both have some merits.  Personally, I think Artillery is better, but that’s me.
    D.  China’s units are still restricted to Chinese controllable territories which means no matter what the bid is, you’re not going to see Chinese Aircraft Carriers - I don’t care if you give them 100 IPC worth of units to put on the table! Â

As for a D-Day rule, it should have been floated in House Rules instead of a league discussion thread.  The idea, in a nutshell, was once, per game, the British and Americans in the European theater could have a joint attack on: Normandy and Holland or either one if they didn’t want to hit both.  That would mean shared transports, shore bombardments and air cover.  I still think it’s a good rule, but it’s a house rule for the oblivion of other house rules. lol.  IF we ever end up with a G40 Enhanced then we may see it come back.

@Gamerman01:

@DizzKneeLand33:

I always have at least a few chess games going….

Gotta love the fact that when you go to capture their queen with a pawn, you don’t have to roll a die to see if it succeeds  :-P
    Flying over AA can be heart-stopping!  :lol:

Bah, the Queen used to be the dainty one who could only move one place.  Pawns used to turn around at the end of the board and come back.  Now those are the rules!  They changed, I don’t agree with them, but they did, so I live with them and move on.

• There are no official bidding rules so the debate doesn’t even belong here.  Make up whatever China ruling your group agrees to, even if you agree to allow a Chinese battleship in the Caspian Sea!!  :-D

• Customizer

TripleA only allows bids of units that a nation can produce.

If you want something different, use edit mode.

Edit Mode is not some evil or difficult to do thing, it just 1 extra click of your mouse to turn it on.

Also, the future edit mode add units function will allow adding any unit that exists in the game AND has artwork in the nation’s folder (so that Chinese BB will be able to be placed in the caspian if you wish).

• The way I see it is this:

A. If the rules do not specifically ban it, then it’s legal. �
    Bidding is a house rule, it’s not to be found in the rule books, or I have yet to see it as even an optional rule. � For perspective, TECH is optional and is mentioned in the rule book, so it’s not a house rule even if implemented in a game.

B. The rules already put non-Chinese units on the board for China and allow China to use them as if they owned them. � Allowing them to do the same for other pieces does not feel like much of a stretch,….

As Krieg has stated, the units that China can legally have are set out in the rulebook.  From those that it can produce to the one extra special unit that it is given pre-game start, it is all in the rules.

Any bid would have to conform to units that it is able to build.  Anything else would be a stretch.

Bidding is a nice mechanism to help level any inconsistencies and to give the game some variety, but giving a power the ability to obtain a unit that it normally can’t possess is beyond the scope (and intent) of the game.

Just because it’s been FOREVER:

West India is part of Europe United Kingdom, right?  So they could, if they were so inclined, put a Minor Complex there and shuttle troops in, or was that part of Pacific UK?

• '20 '16 '15 '14

West India is part of UK Pacific, so that plan doesn’t work.  I had high hopes on that one too, actually.  :)

@DizzKneeLand33:

West India is part of UK Pacific, so that plan doesn’t work.  I had high hopes on that one too, actually.  :)

Kay, means Egypt or Persia. No big deal.  Glad I asked, it had been a WHILE and I know some territories for England have changed hands in the last year and a half. lol.

• '16

@Cmdr:

Just because it’s been FOREVER:

West India is part of Europe United Kingdom, right?  So they could, if they were so inclined, put a Minor Complex there and shuttle troops in, or was that part of Pacific UK?

I think pacific gains west india and loses the Canadian provinces to UK Euro.

“There are two exceptions to this regional division. West India, on the Europe map, is part of the Pacific
    economy, and the North American territories on the Pacific map are part of the Europe economy.”

• What is a pgm data error or java error for AAA global 1940 version? How do I fix that?

• Visit the Triple A website
    www.triplea.sourceforge.net

• Hi! im new here, had my first game of axis & allies yesterday, i have read the manual, and up to pag 20 in this faq, but i some doubts came up (even with the manual in hand in game ) and i couldnt remember all that i read here. So here it goes:

Wich zones could scotland scramble airplanes to defend? 119, 111, 109 ,110 and london?
    Wich zones could souther italy scramble airplanes to defend? 97,95, silicy, northern italy,sardinia?
    If a fight starts, and a carrier defeding having 2 fighters is hited in the first combat round, do the fighters are still are able to defend until the hole combat is resolved? 
    Carriers dont scramble airplanes right?:
    Can you scramble airplanes to a zone where the defender has no units? example: germany land with a infatary in london ( has 0 units ) and the defender choose to scrambles airplanes to london.
    If a sub fights a battleship, the subs make a surprise attack (does not matter if it hits or no) the battleship can roll its defense right? Im pretty sure that i does, but asking anyway.
    If a a sub defends against a destroyer and airplanes, if the sub destroy the destroyer, the combat ends ? the planes have go back and land?

• @gkothe:

Wich zones could scotland scramble airplanes to defend? 119, 111, 109 ,110 and london?
    Wich zones could souther italy scramble airplanes to defend? 97,95, silicy, northern italy,sardinia?

Not adjacent territories.  Scrambling can be done to any adjacent sea zone and to defend an amphibious assault from any adjacent sea zone.  This is how scrambling from Southern Italy could be done against ships in 95 if those ships are amphibiously assaulting Sicily or Sardinia or Northern Italy (or, of course, South Italy).  Likewise, scrambling from South Italy can be done to Z97 if there are ships in 97 amphibiously assaulting Greece, Albania, Yugoslavia, or Northern Italy (or South Italy).

If a fight starts, and a carrier defeding having 2 fighters is hited in the first combat round, do the fighters are still are able to defend until the hole combat is resolved?

Yes.  Fighters are always defending in the air, so they take off before carriers are hit.  The only time fighters get trapped on carriers is guest fighters that are sitting on ATTACKING allied carriers.

Carriers dont scramble airplanes right?

Right, only air bases do scrambling.

Can you scramble airplanes to a zone where the defender has no units? example: germany land with a infatary in london ( has 0 units ) and the defender choose to scrambles airplanes to london.

Scrambling is only done to sea zones as explained above.  You never scramble to an adjacent land territory.

If a sub fights a battleship, the subs make a surprise attack (does not matter if it hits or no) the battleship can roll its defense right? Im pretty sure that i does, but asking anyway.

Only if it isn’t sunk.  If the 2nd hit taken by a battleship is from a sub surprise strike, that battleship gets no return shot (same with carriers)

If a a sub defends against a destroyer and airplanes, if the sub destroy the destroyer, the combat ends ? the planes have go back and land?

Right.  Subs can’t target planes, ever.  The planes can target the sub as long as the destroyer is there at the beginning of that combat round.

If you are unsure of anything after my answers, feel free to ask follow up questions.
    Don’t feel like you have to read 20 pages of this FAQ.  If you have read the rule book and you’re still not sure about something, just ask it here!  Ask all the questions you want.

• Thanks! I did read it at work during the week while there was some free time hehe, but is a lot of information to remember for a first game and i dont have a very good memory . About the scramble, omg! i think we read around 3 times the rules about scramble yesterday and we didnt notice about scrambling being only for sea zones o.o, and I looked now and it’s there , that was…kind of stupid haha.
    And one more doubt, is the zone 110 consider to be adjacent to scotland?

• @gkothe:

Thanks! I did read it at work during the week while there was some free time hehe, but is a lot of information to remember for a first game and i dont have a very good memory . About the scramble, omg! i think we read around 3 times the rules about scramble yesterday and we didnt notice about scrambling being only for sea zones o.o, and I looked now and it’s there , that was…kind of stupid haha.
    And one more doubt, is the zone 110 consider to be adjacent to scotland?

110 is not adjacent to Scotland.
    However, you can go between Eire and Scotland by land, even though they are not touching on the game board.

I understand about reading the FAQ thread while at work.

• This was probably answered a while ago, this is best explained by example:  ANZAC has 3 fighters, 1 inf, 1 rt in queensland, 1 carrier off NSW, and a transport off queensland.  Japan has 2 land units on java.  Anzac can use his transport to attack java along with 1 or 2 fighters because the carrier can non-com to the java seazone to catch the fighters.  My question is, after the battle, during non-com, if there are any surviving fighters in the java battle, does ANZAC still have to non-com the carrier to pick up the fighters or can they be ignored and left to crash?

• You must always catch all surviving fighters if possible.
    You can never voluntarily let fighters crash without picking them up when you can.  If you don’t want to move the carrier out, then you may want to choose fighters as casualties before ground units, and you may want to think carefully about how many fighters you want to send.  It’s a gamble because you don’t know if the Japanese ground units will whiff.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m