Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• This exact question has been addressed on the FAQ (earlier thread), so I know the correct answer with certainty.

The Axis have to control 8 cities or more (or 6 for Pacific) CONTINUOUSLY for an entire round of play.

Say Italy takes over London for the Axis 8th city on I10.  The Axis will win on I11 if the Allies never take (or re-take) a European victory city at any time between I10 and I11.  If at any time between I10 and I11 the Axis lose a city and dip below 8, the clock has to start all over again at such time as the Axis re-claim an 8th city.  If the Axis get 9 or more cities, they can lose a city and still win on I11, as long as they never dip below 8 at any time.

• '16 '15 '10

Thanks for the above clarification Gamerman.

Here’s another one.  Is it legal to place ICs on a friendly neutral activated on the same turn?  I’m thinking no but I’d prefer to be certain.

• No.  You can only place facilities on territories that were under your control at the beginning of your turn.

• Sub on sub naval battle:

Does the attacking sub get a free shot before the defender can submerge?

If submerge is chosen by the defender, if a 1 or 2 is rolled does the first shot sink the sub?

–Jeff

• And is the above scenario correctly handled by Triple A?

• '12

@Jeff28:

Sub on sub naval battle:

Does the attacking sub get a free shot before the defender can submerge?

If submerge is chosen by the defender, if a 1 or 2 is rolled does the first shot sink the sub?

–Jeff

Krieghund said the official answer is yes in this post:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=28344.0

However, the official rulebook for 2e Europe '40 doesn’t support that, so maybe the rules are different between versions:

(2e Rules p 19, my emphasis):`**_Attacking or defending submarines that choose to submerge are immediately removed from the battle strip and returned to the game board in the contested sea zone, removing them from the remaining battle sequences.  Note: Decisions on whether attacking and defending submarines will fire or submerge must be made before any dice are rolled by either side. The attacking player decides first.

Each attacking submarine conducting a Surprise Strike rolls one die. Attacking submarines that roll a “2” or less
    score a hit. After the attacking player has rolled for all attacking submarines, the defender chooses 1 sea unit submarines can’t hit air units) for each hit scored and moves it behind the casualty strip. (Note: Undamaged
    capital ships that are hit only once are not removed.) Then each defending submarine conducting a Surprise
    Strike rolls one die. Defending submarines that roll a “1” score a hit. After the defending player has rolled
    for all defending submarines, the attacker chooses 1 sea unit for each hit scored and removes it from play. (Note: Undamaged capital ships that are hit only once are not removed.)

Note: In both cases, attacking or defending, transports can be chosen as casualties only if there are no other
    eligible units. Submerged submarines can’t be chosen as casualties since they have been removed from the battle. Once all attacking and defending submarines that conducted a Surprise Strike have fired, the casualties they have generated are removed from the game and this step (step 2) is over for this round of combat.`_**

• Official Q&A

Different game, different rules.

• '12

@Krieghund:

My mistake, sorry for the confusion.  It’s getting hard to keep track of all the subtle differences between these variants in my old age.

• @Krieghund:

I don’t understand. The Global rules are the 1940 2e Europe rules.

The 1940 Europe 2e rules state all decisions to Submerge or First Strike are made before dice are rolled. It also says:
    “Attacking or defending submarines that choose to
    submerge are immediately removed from the battle strip
    and returned to the game board in the contested sea zone,
    removing them from the remaining battle sequences.”

I’m seriously confused now. lol  :|

• @P-Unit:

I don’t understand. The Global rules are the 1940 2e Europe rules.

The 1940 Europe 2e rules state all decisions to Submerge or First Strike are made before dice are rolled. It also says:
    “Attacking or defending submarines that choose to
    submerge are immediately removed from the battle strip
    and returned to the game board in the contested sea zone,
    removing them from the remaining battle sequences.”

I’m seriously confused now. lol   :|

If there are no enemy destroyers present, subs get to choose whether they will submerge or not, before any dice are rolled in the battle.  (Therefore, if you are not attacking with at least one destroyer, it is impossible to attack or sink an enemy submarine if the defender elects to immediately submerge, which is his right)

If the subs do not submerge, then they will have surprise strike capability (no enemy destroyers are present) every round.

The subs roll first and enemy casualties are chosen before all the non-sub units are rolled.

Then in the next round of combat, when the subs would normally roll, the subs have a new opportunity to submerge.  It is a sub by sub decision, that is, you can submerge some subs without submerging others, and every new round of combat you get to make the decision again.  Once a sub is submerged, it is returned to the gameboard in that seazone (so can NEVER re-enter the battle)

Submerging is not the same as retreating.  Submerged subs stay in the same sea zone.  Retreating subs (any retreat must always be a group retreat with all the other boats) would be moved back to an adjacent sea zone from which at least one attacking sea unit travelled or originated.

Do you have any more unresolved questions about submarines still?

• My confusion was with Krieghund’s reply. The original question was:
    “Does the attacking sub get a free shot before the defender can submerge?”

The post above Krieghund’s reply showed the 1940 Europe rules exactly how you and I play, the submerging sub is gone before the Surprise Striking sub can fire on it. But, in that same post Krieghund answered the above question as “yes”, the attacking sub can fire on a submerging sub, which is why I’m confused. Based on the Europe 1940 2e rules this doesn’t seem to be allowed.

But Krieghund’s reply in this thread was “Different game, different rules”, making me think his official ruling is that the attacking sub can fire on the submerging sub.

• Oh, OK.
    Easy answer.

That link was to Axis and Allies: Europe thread.

That is a completely different game.  It came out in the year 2000 and is set in the Spring of 1941.

There was also an Axis and Allies: Pacific game that came out years ago.  I don’t believe they combined like this 1940 game does.  I’ve only seen them in the stores - never out of the box, and never played them, myself…

• TripleA '12

Hey guys, in the middle of a game of Global 1940 SE right now and need some help please. I think I’ve found a discrepancy in the Pacific rulebook, page 35. It says there under Capture of One of the United Kingdom’s Regional Capitals that: “An economy whose capital is held by the Axis can’t collect income, spend IPCs, or repair units.”

It’s the ‘repair units’ part that I’m having trouble with as it seems to fly in the face of the normal rules regarding the capture of a Capital. The only units that can be repaired in the game are Aircraft Carriers and Battleships, if I’m not mistaken, and there is no IPC cost associated with this. So did the wording mean to say “or repair facilities”?

Can anyone please advise? I’ve not seen this issue come up here on the boards before so I wonder if anyone else has noticed it. If it is indeed correct as written, perhaps Krieghund could elaborate on the reasoning/thought processes that went into its inclusion in the Global game. Thank you very much.

• Hi Gamerman. Those early A&A games do not link up as one. Both are good. I especially love the Europe game, but if is hard to win as Germany as the other 3 powers income is more than double Germany’s. Russia can make it very hard for them too.
    Worth playing it if you know anyone with a copy.
    Pacific is on a VP timescale, so meaning there is sn obvious end to the game.
    Japan can win, but need to be quick.
    Both games got me into A&A after a long time in the wilderness.

• Official Q&A

Lozmoid, it’s not an error.  While a power’s capital is held by the enemy, it skips all but the Combat Move, Conduct Combat, and Noncombat Move phases, so it can’t repair units, which is done during the Purchase Units phase.

• TripleA '12

Ah yes, so simple! It all makes sense now. Thank you again, Krieg.  :-)

But in that case, may powers that are allied to the UK still repair their own naval units at the UK’s Naval Bases situated on the map whose UK regional capital is under enemy control? For example, let’s say Japan has captured the regional capital of Calcutta. The Pacific UK economy may not repair its ships at all due to being restricted to only the Combat Move, Conduct Combat, and Noncombat Move phases… but can ANZAC repair ANZAC ships at these UK Naval Bases? Or the United States (if it was allied to the UK at that point)?

Thank you again for clearing this up.

• If anyone saw my post about repairing capital ships before I deleted it, ignore it….  I think it was wrong.

Just reading the rules about naval bases, I think that’s a good question, Lozmoid.  It appears that other allies still can repair at UK naval bases in the Pacific that are still controlled by the UK, but I will wait along with you for Krieghund’s answer.  :-)

• Official Q&A

Yes, they can.

• TripleA '12

That’s brilliant, Krieg - thanks very much.

• If you DOW the true neutrals, can you fly over them without attacking them?

–Jeff

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m