• The US can’t do anything until punched by Japan before US4.  On US4, US can attack.  Don’t make it sound like the US can “declare war”.  US at war is a triggered effect.  Either Japan attacks UK/US/ANZAC on J1/2/3 which brings the US into it, or the built in rules for the game sets the US “at war” during the collect income phase of US3.  You get your +40, but you cannot attack until US4.

• 2024 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

@MaherC:

The US can’t do anything until punched by Japan before US4.  On US4, US can attack.

I could swear it is US turn 3 they can.

Yep just looked it up.  If Japan has not declared by turn three during US collect income phase it gets the bonus and is officially at war.  It has been that way the whole time.

Ahhhh I see you corrected your post MaherC.

Sean

• no.  I’m starting to understand why so many people feel this game is balanced.

• Ok, I should’ve read the errata update earlier. That makes it much more clear. The original wording in the game book was sort of ambiguous. Thanks for clearing it up.

• Yes, I corrected it, because I wanted it to be clear that you can’t ATTACK on US3 unless provoked.  Sure, you are “at war” at the END of US3.  But you can’t do anything aggressive until US4.   You are “at war” so you can get +40 to use in US4.  But for all intents, you are not “at war” until US4.

So many people post in here with questions that are obvious if they were to read the rulebook (yes, there is confusion over some things, but you should know that you can’t use kamikazes on J1!)  I blame twitter.  Kids can’t read or process more than 140 characters.

• Customizer

this entire time i thought it was turn 3 that the USA went to war (including the ability to attack, etc.)….

thanks to this new errata, i actually read what i missed earlier in the rule book.

• @MaherC:

Yes, I corrected it, because I wanted it to be clear that you can’t ATTACK on US3 unless provoked.  Sure, you are “at war” at the END of US3.  But you can’t do anything aggressive until US4.   You are “at war” so you can get +40 to use in US4.  But for all intents, you are not “at war” until US4.

So many people post in here with questions that are obvious if they were to read the rulebook (yes, there is confusion over some things, but you should know that you can’t use kamikazes on J1!)  I blame twitter.  Kids can’t read or process more than 140 characters.

MaherC is correct.  The US is at war during US3  Income Phase (at the lastest), which is after Purchases, Combat Movement, and Combat are done and over with.  If, Japan did not attack on J3, the US may not attack Japan on US3 either.

• Thanks mister Hund!

• @Krieghund:

It’s important to distinguish between neutral powers and neutral territories.  The US is a neutral power.  It is run by a player and starts off not in the war, but will be in it eventually.  This is covered by the political rules.  Neutral territories are just territories that don’t have a dedicated player and aren’t in the war.  Unless someone attacks them, they never will be.  The only neutral territories in the game are the ones in Mongolia.  They’re covered by the neutral rules under Spaces on the Game Board on page 8.

So if i understand well, the neutral rules stay as they are. That means NO IP for Mongolian territories and NO movement for Mongolian Infantry.

• Official Q&A

Correct.

• A question for NOs:

• ANZAC NO, the one that says a original jap territory must be occupied. It’s necessary ANZAC be the occupier or can be another allie

• The same for USA’s NO occuping Oki and Iwo, it must be the USA the occupier or can be another allied power?

• UK NO involving Dutch East Indies says clearly any allied power, but later two one doesn’t, and also the Jap NOs don’t. In the global game, can Japan win the NOs if another axis power conquers those therritories or must be Japan itself?

• Krieghund, the political rules are clearer but I’d just specify the part in italics:
    “Japan considers movement of units into China by any other power as an act of war against it.”
    If you continue reading the errata is logical that only the UK/ANZAC can move units into China and trigger a declaration of war by Japan. But since this part is right at the beginning of the errata t can be confusing because it gives the impression that the US can also move units to China before war is declared.

• Official Q&A

@Funcioneta:

• ANZAC NO, the one that says a original jap territory must be occupied. It’s necessary ANZAC be the occupier or can be another allie

It doesn’t say “the Allies”, so it must be ANZAC.

@Funcioneta:

• The same for USA’s NO occuping Oki and Iwo, it must be the USA the occupier or can be another allied power?

It says “the U.S. controls both Okinawa and Iwo Jima”.  It must be the U.S.

@Funcioneta:

• UK NO involving Dutch East Indies says clearly any allied power, but later two one doesn’t, and also the Jap NOs don’t. In the global game, can Japan win the NOs if another axis power conquers those therritories or must be Japan itself?

The second one doesn’t say “the Allies”, so it must be UK.  These NOs apply only to this game.

• Official Q&A

@Hobbes:

Krieghund, the political rules are clearer but I’d just specify the part in italics:
    “Japan considers movement of units into China by any other power as an act of war against it.”
    If you continue reading the errata is logical that only the UK/ANZAC can move units into China and trigger a declaration of war by Japan. But since this part is right at the beginning of the errata t can be confusing because it gives the impression that the US can also move units to China before war is declared.

Except that the US may not enter any other power’s territory when it’s not at war.

• @Krieghund:

@Funcioneta:

It doesn’t say “the Allies”, so it must be ANZAC.

@Funcioneta:

It says “the U.S. controls both Okinawa and Iwo Jima”.  It must be the U.S.

@Funcioneta:

The second one doesn’t say “the Allies”, so it must be UK.  These NOs apply only to this game.

Pretty odd, but at least is less ilogical than the various ACME walls. Roger on the last input, but I really hope Burma Road is in action in global game or we are going to have another 1941 fantasy scenario  :|

• @Krieghund:

Except that the US may not enter any other power’s territory when it’s not at war.

Yeah, that is clear but that part comes after the part I quoted. I’m just trying to place myself in the position of someone new to the game.
    He’ll read first that Japan will declare war on any power that moves into China, which might seem to imply that the US can move there. If he skips or doesn’t read with attention to the US rules he might think that the US can trigger a declaration of war with Japan by moving units to China.
    Most new players will figure it out correctly by themselves but a few might be confused. Maybe it is just paying too much attention to details on my part but I think it would be better if the ‘any other power’ is replaced by ‘UK/ANZAC’ (it has even less characters too! :) )

• Official Q&A

Thanks, but at this point I’m not inclined to try to change anything unless it’s flat-out wrong.  It’s just too much hassle getting approval.

• @Krieghund:

Thanks, but at this point I’m not inclined to try to change anything unless it’s flat-out wrong.  It’s just too much hassle getting approval.

OK, thanks for explaining. Better to only pick battles you know you can win :)

• Customizer

so what actual changes to the gameplay are there from the new faq?

• @Veqryn:

so what actual changes to the gameplay are there from the new faq?

Nothing really

Before: Movements resulted in war. You moved, figured out if it caused war, then had to check to make sure all the moves you made, prior to the war causing move, were actually possible, because if any move resulted in war, you were actually at war at the beginning of your movement phase.

Now: You declare war. You can then make war causing moves, if you want. No need to go back and recheck any prior moves. No need to make any war causing moves at all, but you still get to do any of those nasty things to the enemy you’re allowed to do during their turn.

But the net result, at the end of your turn, is pretty much the same as it was before.

The small differences are:
    You make a declaration of war.
    The way the Dutch are treated is a little different, maybe.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m