Making German Infantry Meanigful

• How do you do it with Germany four spaces away from Moscow

I was thinking, building all infantry and artillery the first turn, the next two turns build tanks, then the fourth turn building aircraft

Since the Eastern front is usally decideded in the first four turns, is there even a point to building German infantry to fight in the east after the first turn.

also, even if you build infatry the first turn, you have no knew firepower on the eastern front for at least another turn, which can severly weaken you + you have no money to protect your navy in the baltic

so are infantry worth it, or are tanks and bombers where its at?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I like my Germany to blitz out taking Baltic States, Karelia, E. Poland and Ukraine (possibly Egypt, but at least attacking Egypt!) as well as attempting to clear SZs 6 and 12.

This should be possible giving Germany 55-57 IPC for use in Round 2.  As for builds, it’s 2 Infantry, the rest Armor since you can retreat infantry back from NW Europe and France.  (Yes, England can get France cheap, so what? Italy can liberate it for you.)

• so building infantry for use in Russia is useless?

just buy 2 inf to protect germany?

You should have 5 Infantry, 5 Armor in Germany with that build.

As for “useless” in Russia, I wouldn’t say “useless” I’d say they take too bloody long.  4 rounds is enough time for England and America to own Berlin if you don’t get Moscow!

• @Cmdr:

**I like my Germany to blitz out taking Baltic States, Karelia, E. Poland and Ukraine (possibly Egypt, but at least attacking Egypt!) as well as attempting to clear SZs 6 and 12.

This should be possible giving Germany 55-57 IPC for use in Round 2**.  As for builds, it’s 2 Infantry, the rest Armor since you can retreat infantry back from NW Europe and France.  (Yes, England can get France cheap, so what? Italy can liberate it for you.)

Jen, how would you do this??  It would be an awesome G1, but I don’t see how it’s possible.  Thanks.

3 Infantry, Artillery, 4 Fighters, Cruiser vs 5 Infantry, Artillery, AA Gun in Karelia
    3 Infantry, 2 Armor vs 3 Infantry in Baltic States
    2 Infantry, Artillery, 2 Armor vs 2 Infantry in E. Poland
    2 Infantry, Artillery, 2 Armor vs 2 Infantry in Ukraine

Sure, Karelia is risky, but Russia is reeling if it goes decently (Baltic States, E. Poland and Ukraine should be hands down wins for you with probably one infantry lost in each and Russia unable to liberate any of them.)

If you do Egypt, like I do, 2 Infantry, Artillery, 2 Armor (not even good odds, but good enough to do serious damage to England.)

SZ 6 would be Submarine vs Destroyer (50/50)
    SZ 12 would be 2 Submarines, Bomber vs Cruiser, Destroyer (good odds, since he risks Sneak Shot if he sinks the destroyer first!)

• @Cmdr:

3 Infantry, Artillery, 4 Fighters, Cruiser vs 5 Infantry, Artillery, AA Gun in Karelia

Sure, Karelia is risky, but Russia is reeling if it goes decently (Baltic States, E. Poland and Ukraine should be hands down wins for you with probably one infantry lost in each and Russia unable to liberate any of them.)

If you do Egypt, like I do, 2 Infantry, Artillery, 2 Armor (not even good odds, but good enough to do serious damage to England.)

SZ 12 would be 2 Submarines, Bomber vs Cruiser, Destroyer (good odds, since he risks Sneak Shot if he sinks the destroyer first!)

It’s hard to turn down sinking a BB on G1 isn’t it?  That’s where I’ve struck before - 2 subs and Bomb vs BB and tranny.  You would destroy 27 IPC, vs the 20 IPC from the CC & DD.  What are your thoughts?
    Thanks.

• 2007 AAR League

The problem with not attacking sz12 is that if the Egyptian fighter isn’t destroyed, it immediately presents the UK with the option to attack the Italian fleet with 1 bmb, 1 fig, 1 CA, 1 DD. Even if you lose everything in exchange for the 2 CA’s, the BB would be a sitting duck to US aircraft in the next couple turns.

@U-505:

The problem with not attacking sz12 is that if the Egyptian fighter isn’t destroyed, it immediately presents the UK with the option to attack the Italian fleet with 1 bmb, 1 fig, 1 CA, 1 DD. Even if you lose everything in exchange for the 2 CA’s, the BB would be a sitting duck to US aircraft in the next couple turns.

Thank you, 505.

That’s exactly why I don’t attack the SZ 2 fleet.  You are right, Captain Jack (who btw I think is EXTREMELY cute!  Glad he has his own spin-off!)  It is very difficult to pass up sinking the SZ 2 or even SZ 9 fleet since it reduces England’s transport capacity.  But the prospect of saving the Italian fleet is too important to me.

I’m still trying to figure out a balance on what I can send to SZ 12 to make up for not sending the bomber that way I can send the bomber to Egypt.  But honestly, you almost need all 4 fighters to take Karelia in round 1 or you may as well pass up taking it altogether.

• @Cmdr:

I’m still trying to figure out a balance on what I can send to SZ 12 to make up for not sending the bomber that way I can send the bomber to Egypt.  But honestly, you almost need all 4 fighters to take Karelia in round 1 or you may as well pass up taking it altogether.

Perhaps I haven’t read all the strategic posts, but you seem to be one of the very few who advocate a Karelia attack on G1.

Personally I think it is best to wait to G2.

• @Cmdr:

@U-505:

Thank you, 505.

That’s exactly why I don’t attack the SZ 2 fleet.  You are right, Captain Jack (who btw I think is EXTREMELY cute!  Glad he has his own spin-off!)  It is very difficult to pass up sinking the SZ 2 or even SZ 9 fleet since it reduces England’s transport capacity.  But the prospect of saving the Italian fleet is too important to me.

I understand, and you’re right.  The games that I’ve played; the Allies have always used the fig in Egypt for India, and the bomb in UK (along with the 2 figs) for the German navy, so in that case the Italian navy hasn’t been in any real danger right off the bat.  I guess I just wasn’t thinking about the UK1 attack for Italy.
    Nice G1 opening btw.  I agree with you that a G1 Karelia attack would be devastating to Russia, and incredibly helpful for Germany.  I would say it’s probably worth the risk IMHO.
    Thanks.

There are a few reasons I advocate the Karelian Attack on Germany 1.

1)  It costs the Russians 19 IPC in lost units (1 of which is one of their only 3 offensive pieces they start with!)
    2)  It forces Russia to consider liberating Karelia or giving Germany an IC right on their front door.
    3)  It prevents Russia from taking Finland which is on their path to a 10 IPC National Objective and hard for Germany to liberate
    4)  It gives you a 3rd National Objective (this assumes you do the other attacks I mentioned) which means Karelia is really worth 7 IPC to you.
    5)  Honestly, with only 4 AA Gun shots, there’s a 33% chance you won’t lost ANY fighters give or take. (I just used LL to estimate the chance.)  Even if you do lose one, and I wouldn’t expect to lose more than one, with a 50+ income for Round 2, I think you can afford the replacement fighter!
    6)  Russia is now down 4 Territories for a combined total of 6 IPC.  It’s not a lot, but they only have two offensive pieces left and only one is in range to hit any of the territories you just took.

• Maybe playing with Strategic Suggestions (National Objectives), then it makes sense to try for it.  Otherwise, I think sinking UK shipping is more important since everyone has less money, so replacement costs are higher, making the Navy more worthwhile to sink.

Granted, if you are not playing with National Objectives then hitting Karelia really is not as effective if effective at all.

However, honestly, playing without technology or national objectives really, REALLY makes the game too strong for the Allies, perhaps a 21-24 IPC bid for the axis would fix it.

• @Cmdr:

Granted, if you are not playing with National Objectives then hitting Karelia really is not as effective if effective at all.

However, honestly, playing without technology or national objectives really, REALLY makes the game too strong for the Allies, perhaps a 21-24 IPC bid for the axis would fix it.

I can not agree nor disagree with this just yet.  I prefer the base game at this time.
    When we tire of those playouts, we’ll add the National Objectives and see how that changes the game.  I imagine about another 4 games  should do that (6 total)?

No idea, Axis.  All I know is that without NO’s the game is significantly in favor of the Allies (since the Allies lose NOs and the Axis gain NOs which means the only team penalized are the Axis.)

• @Cmdr:

Indeed Karelia is risky, but let’s say you take here with 1 ground unit. On R1 Russia must (and will) counter with 4 inf and 1 arm. Also Russia can counter Ukraine with 5 inf, 1 rtl against 1 rtl, 2 arm (or maybe 1 inf, 1 rtl, 2 arm). This could end up with both sides losing all, but then how much does Germany have after R1 on the Eastern Front? Only troops in the Baltic + Eastern Poland. That’s about 3 inf, 1 rtl, 4 arm. I don’t see how you would get a breakthrough with that on G2, which leaves you on G2 with not much choice except consolidating the front and waiting for reinforcements…

So you took all that risk in Karelia, and let’s not forget Egypt either which is a big gamble IMHO, but how much did you really gain…

Meanwhile, the UK has a fleet remaining of 1 BB, 1 DD, 2 trns + her buy of UK1…
    Now that I think of it, you could even opt to have UK liberate Karelia, which leaves Russia the opportunity to attack Ukraine even harder.

Driel:

How much does Russia lose attacking Ukraine?  You just out laid a major portion of the Russian army to kill two tanks in Ukraine (Inf, Art, 2 Arm probably.)

Meanwhile, Germany has a 50+ IPC paycheck to spend on round 2.  She has a significant enough army to attack with in Round 2 and probably 3 fighters and a bomber to support them (yes, I’m assuming one was shot down in Karelia.)

• @Cmdr:

Driel:

How much does Russia lose attacking Ukraine?  You just out laid a major portion of the Russian army to kill two tanks in Ukraine (Inf, Art, 2 Arm probably.)

Meanwhile, Germany has a 50+ IPC paycheck to spend on round 2.  She has a significant enough army to attack with in Round 2 and probably 3 fighters and a bomber to support them (yes, I’m assuming one was shot down in Karelia.)

I am attacking Ukraine with 5 inf, 1 rtl. That’s 8 pipes vs 8 or 10 on average. So in worst case I end up with 5 inf lost, hell maybe I lose everything as long as I kill the German armors.

The idea is to take maximum advantage of the fact that Germany doesn’t have reinforcements until turn 3. I know,I know, if you buy only tanks you have reinforcements on turn 2, but I still consider that a buy that will lose Berlin to the allies at the same point as you might take Moscow.

You can only attack Ukraine with 5 Infantry, 1 Armor on Russia 1.  That’s 1 Infantry from East Ukraine, 4 Infantry from Caucasus and 1 Armor from Russia.

If I have 1 or 2 Infantry, Artillery, 2 Armor there you have a 65% chance to survive, but probably with just the armor and maybe with an infantry with it.

Germany could easily kill that the next round.

Honestly, it’s my opinion that you just plain don’t have the resources for that, since you need that only armor of yours to attack Karelia or risk Germany building there next turn.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m