• Paratroopers???!!

Give me a break. Terrible.

I’ll just think of a Heavy Tank teck and wipe Paratroopers from my board.

I’ll second that.

I love the new tech system but I hate paratroopers allready before I know how they work.

Lets get a brain stroming to replace it with the lost tech ‘heavy tanks’! 
    I suggest simply Heavy tanks: tanks attack at 4! or defend at 4 or both.

• If you want house rules post them in the House rule section.

• Wizards in now starting to post techs on the following thread.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1086843

They are giving one new tech every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  So far, they have confirmed that Advanced Artillery and Rockets are on the same chart, listed as chart 1.  This means by Sept. 22, we will know all of the techs on the first chart.  By the beginning of October, we will know all of the techs.

• They are only confirming .0005% of what we already know. That place is Molasses as far as information. BY the time they post the rest of only the techs, the game would be out. What a waste of time. Reading the appointed mouthpiece regurgitate information is like listening to Lord Haw Haw report on Germany winning the war in 1944.

• @Imperious:

They are only confirming .0005% of what we already know. That place is Molasses as far as information. BY the time they post the rest of only the techs, the game would be out. What a waste of time. Reading the appointed mouthpiece regurgitate information is like listening to Lord Haw Haw report on Germany winning the war in 1944.

What we have presently is mostly speculation and a single report from individuals who played the game once at GenCon.  Some of the techs have been confirmed by Krieghund.  By my calculations, all of the techs will be posted and listed by chart by October 6, close of business.  We have nowhere near a complete list of the National Objectives, since it was just indicated that the UK receives a 5 IPC bonus for the capture of Zero IPC pre-war Japanese Islands.  I would prefer that Wizards give us more information and post a complete set of rules, but since that does not appear likely I will take whatever official information that I can get.

• They wont be posting them ( national objectives) any time soon. The techs are basically confirmed already sake the scripting as per Krieghunds confirmation. BY the time October 6th comes this site will have even more information figured out. To compare the value of what they post and even make a comparison of two sentences posted over a week to the volume of work compiled by the minds here is no comparison at all. WE got them beat hands down.

The only official thing they will do as usual is wait till a week before and post a few articles they should have posted 6 months earlier when it was Molasses season.

Right now time is running out and hardly anybody from that site barely knows a game is coming out, let alone be compelled to buy a product costing $100 bucks or less because they didnt give anybody a reason to make a buying decision with free advertisement on their site.

Its incredulous to think that you only need to post one sentence of text every 2-3 days AS the prima facie marketing direction for a large company. I should send them a bag of Kibbles and bits for that effort.

• Official Q&A

Tech update:

@Lynxes:

Paratroopers- (each bomber may now carry one infantry instead of attacking or performing SBR, and that infantry attacks at a ‘2’.)

Each bomber may carry one infantry to a combat, and it may also still participate in the conventional attack in that territory, but not do an SBR.  When doing this, it must attack the first hostile territory that it enters on its flight path.  Paratroopers may retreat normally during combat, as long as other attacking land units are in the battle that are eligible to retreat.

• Great Krieghund,

Thanks for the info on the Paratroopers.  The bomber being able to hit during the attack will definitely add punch to a combined Para drop.

• I just wanted to check one item. The summary post states that with jet fighter technology, fighters “attack” at 5. I was wondering if this should be “defend” at 5, since attack at 5 (I would think) would generate more discussion than I have seen around here.

• /Krieghund

Thanks for the Paratroopers update! I thought it would include some boost for the attacking infantry, and this is quite a powerful tech now. The restriction of not flying over an enemy territory and attacking behind the line is reasonable and prevents some strange strategies, this is still a powerful tech which especially Germany and UK will be really glad to get hold of.

/Ometiklan

No, attack is correct. I think they wanted to boost Jet fighters compared to other techs, and this is a good change since you normally use fighters offensively until a “last-ditch” defence when you don’t mind losing your fighters. Maybe it also has something to do with avoiding naval stalemates, as Jet fighters on carriers defending on a ‘5’ would be almost impregnable. Transport defending at ‘0’, subs at ‘1’ and carriers at ‘2’ all goes towards a more balanced naval battlefield, very well thought by Larry et al.

• @Krieghund:

When doing this, it must attack the first hostile territory that it enters on its flight path.

I like this… no far flung dropping over an enemy line.

Does sea zones count as ‘hostile’?

• Official Q&A

@axis_roll:

Does sea zones count as ‘hostile’?

A sea zone is not a territory.

• @Krieghund:

Tech update:

@Lynxes:

Paratroopers- (each bomber may now carry one infantry instead of attacking or performing SBR, and that infantry attacks at a ‘2’.)

Each bomber may carry one infantry to a combat, and it may also still participate in the conventional attack in that territory, but not do an SBR.  When doing this, it must attack the first hostile territory that it enters on its flight path.  Paratroopers may retreat normally during combat, as long as other attacking land units are in the battle that are eligible to retreat.

So you can only use paratrooping technology during combat?

Can you non-combat troops as well?

• Official Q&A

@axis_roll:

No.

• @Krieghund:

@axis_roll:

No.

well that’s just silly & doesn’t make any sense… unless it’s specifically to limit the US from buying mega bomber numbers and moving inf to london via those bombers.  By allowing only combat movement, those US bombers can not bring inf across the ‘pond’ since they’d have no where to land.

• Official Q&A

Recently confirmed by WotC_Mike on the Avalon Hill boards:

@Lynxes:

War bonds- add one die of IPCs each turn

Correct.

@Lynxes:

Jet fighters - fighters now attack at ‘5’

Jet Fighters attack at “4”.

• Heavy bombers get a 2nd roll @4, while jet fighters go from 3 to 4…laughable

• Official Q&A

Confirmed today by WotC_Mike on the Avalon Hill boards:

@Lynxes:

Shipyards- cheaper naval costs (minus one SS, TRS, DD, minus two CA, CV, BB)

Improved Shipyards.  Your sea units are now cheaper to build.  Use these revised costs:
    Battleship - 17
    Aircraft Carrier - 11
    Cruiser - 10
    Destroyer - 7
    Transport - 6
    Submarine - 5

@Lynxes:

Radar- AA-guns fire at 2

Correct.

• Thanks, Krieghund. We are now 100% confirmed. Everyone: please feel free to join the discussion!

A few notes of mine on some of the techs to help start things up;

Improved production: a great one for Germany to get. Not only will SBR attacks be much reduced in damage, that Karelia factory will be getting 4 units/turn of production.

Mechanized infantry: another great tech for Germany, and also for the Soviets. We will now see some actually worthwhile tech investments by these two powers, which really was never the case in any earlier A&A editions.

Paratroopers: probably most useful for UK and US in Europe, to support invasions. Germany and Japan might also find it useful to get infantry to the front in Russia and China quicker.

Heavy bombers: enough said already. Decisive tech for UK and US, we’ll see how strong it will actually be.

Improved shipyards: US and Japan will be happy to get this, could really tilt the balance in the Pacific for a while.

Radar: a superb tech for Germany and the Soviet Union, but I’m worried they put it on the “Air/naval chart”. Will this mean that they will rarely get it? I’m assuming they will find the other chart much more worthwhile, being land-based powers.

• @Lynxes:

Mechanized infantry: another great tech for Germany, and also for the Soviets. We will now see some actually worthwhile tech investments by these two powers, which really was never the case in any earlier A&A editions.

Not sure what A&A game you’ve been playing, but there indeed HAS been tech that good for both Russia and Germany.  Rockets are the uber-tech for Germany, even Russia too

It’s just they were never really ‘affordable’ in terms of forgoing ground units to try for the tech.

Classic was totally different WRT tech.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m