Tjoek's A&A Anniversary OOB Map file (Updated March 23rd)

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Updated! See first post for new map files!

Let me know if you miss anything.

I consider these finalised for now. If people want me to correct Iwo Jima or Honolulu send me a PM. I might consider doing it for a small fee.

• Hello Everyone!
    With my inability to edit the base image color for Russian territories in the IL maps, i’ve found Tjoek map more useful and coherent to the original version. I’ve chosen the OOB version, removed Mobilization Zone to left and added some of the IL beautiful images (planes and submarine)… order of play is indicated in the faction board, so it is not mandatory to have it on the board so i didn’t add it. I would like to reposition Honolulu… but i think i will send this file as is.

@Tjoek: really great job!

Untitled.jpg

Luca

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '18 Customizer

@Tjoek
    I’m working on Honolulu as a tribute to all of this work you’ve done. I actually went and carefully isolated the dot, text and shadows out of the background before I realized you can probably just drop it all wholesale, land and sea bits and all, on the correct island.

Iwo Jima is done already, assuming the rotation is all that was wrong with that one.

The real winner, here, is fricking GIMP. Seriously, I cannot believe something like GIMP exists.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@vodot said in Tjoek's A&A Anniversary OOB Map file (Updated March 29th):

@Tjoek
    I’m working on Honolulu as a tribute to all of this work you’ve done. I actually went and carefully isolated the dot, text and shadows out of the background before I realized you can probably just drop it all wholesale, land and sea bits and all, on the correct island.

Iwo Jima is done already, assuming the rotation is all that was wrong with that one.

The real winner, here, is fricking GIMP. Seriously, I cannot believe something like GIMP exists.

Thnx mate! Please send the updates to me and I will merge them with the files posted on the main post.

• @Tjoek will do. if not over the holidays then first week of Janurary.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@vodot Perfect!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '18 Customizer

I finished the fixed version with Honolulu moved to SE Oahu and a corrected Iwo Jima- @Tjoek check your PMs. I was going to just rotate it and leave it alone, but the OOB cartography is obviously based on a US pilot’s crude description as he rocketed overhead with bogeys in pursuit (looks very different from the actual island) so I got antsy and just redrew it.

For you purists, Tjoek can probably knock out the rotated OOB version in a couple minutes.

Note: the image below is halved for posting- don’t actually patch your map file with it. Wait for Tjoek to update the masters.

AA50_IJ+H_fix_patch.png

There was also a N/S stitching seam running through the text of “Honolulu” that I hunted down with the clone tool up to Alaska and down past NZ, but it was invisible on anything lower than about 150% on my monitors.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@vodot thanks mate! I’ll look into merging your fixes when I’ve got the time. Just started a new job which is consuming my time at the moment.

Regarding Iwo Jima, if you go the route of fixing all the islands to their correct shape you’re doomed with the AA maps. Most of the islands are rubbish. Or simply don’t exist at all. Spot the two fake ‘Atlantis’ islands in the Dutch East Indies.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I’ve updated all 4 map files in the original post to now also include the fixes for Honolulu and Iwo Jima.

Please note that didn’t go with the realistic Iwo Jima (as almost non of the islands have realistic borders), but I only flipped it upside down and corrected the light shading for the new orientation.

@vodot: thanks for your help!

• @Tjoek Well i hate to mention this, but you might want to redraw Norway and most of Europe and make a “Realistic Coastline” version and center in on Europe, and add Azores, Maldives, and a few others ( Sicily too). I hate to ask this but can you work on that?

• Also can we get a clean version of the map, meaning removed images or pictures because i want to add /replace the pictures with better ones and redo the charts and add some meaningful game play info.

• @Imperious-Leader said in Tjoek's A&A Anniversary OOB Map file (Updated February 7th):

@Tjoek Well i hate to mention this, but you might want to redraw Norway and most of Europe and make a “Realistic Coastline” version and center in on Europe, and add Azores, Maldives, and a few others ( Sicily too). I hate to ask this but can you work on that?

Sorry IL, I know you’re a fan of the more realistic maps but it would be far to much work for something I won’t use myself.

@Imperious-Leader said in Tjoek's A&A Anniversary OOB Map file (Updated February 7th):

Also can we get a clean version of the map, meaning removed images or pictures because i want to add /replace the pictures with better ones and redo the charts and add some meaningful game play info.

What exactly do you mean? The files I supplied are already with AND without the original pictures for planes, logo’s and mobilisation zone. Just choose the file you like. I cannot think of other pictures to remove…

• @Tjoek said in Tjoek's A&A Anniversary OOB Map file (Updated February 7th):

"Sorry IL, I know you’re a fan of the more realistic maps "

Well you only need to fix Norway, France, England, Iceland and Greenland. The rest will improve by relation. Like me standing next to an ugly women, makes her more attractive.

• @Imperious-Leader said in Tjoek's A&A Anniversary OOB Map file (Updated February 7th):

@Tjoek said in Tjoek's A&A Anniversary OOB Map file (Updated February 7th):

"Sorry IL, I know you’re a fan of the more realistic maps "

Well you only need to fix Norway, France, England, Iceland and Greenland. The rest will improve by relation. Like me standing next to an ugly women, makes her more attractive.

Nice try, even though I agree it’s still not worth the work from my point of view.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Hi All,

Somehow I was drawn towards this map once more and included a few more cleanups and enhancements. See first post for all details and new maps.

Updates in short:

• Enhanced colours preserving more details in the map
    • Correctly centred 10 territory names
    • Renames “Anglo-Egypt Sudan” to “Anglo-Egyptian Sudan”
    • Removed two non existing “Atlantis” islands south of the Philippines
    • More smaller things

I hope you like it!

• '19

Hi, you’ve done a really remarkable job on cleaning up and improving the AA50 map. Thank you for your efforts, and thank you for making the map files available to the community. I’m looking forward to printing your map as soon as I have the $ available… :)

• @Tjoek : Hello!! =)

Why Honolulu has gone back to the old wrong position? =)

Thanks!

Luca

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@dracolich
    It depends on which map file you open. The first two are the cleaned up versions with Honolulu in the correct location.

The third and fourth file are closer to the original bord with no major corrections like removed artwork, Honolulu, removed Atlantis islands etc.

If you fancy a combination of both map versions feel free to copy paste the things you like from one map on top of the other.

I will update the first post in the coming days to make the difference between the files more explicit.

• @Tjoek
    Oh yes, i didn’t the not-oob map sorry =/

I will copy and paste that part of the map!

Thank you!

L

• Some time ago, Tjoek had this map printed for us on the original size. The quality of the map is excellent: the resolution is high and the material seems robust. It’s at least as good as an official map. Very happy with the result!

I’ll upload 2 pics to show the resolution (check out the IPC-tracker Tjoek added) and the relative size.
    20190331_135814.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m