Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB

• I also kind of think the infantry and Kazakhstan is wasteful.

• @Saber25 said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

I also kind of think the infantry and Kazakhstan is wasteful.

China has a hard time defending against that and in OOB there is no guerilla. I think 1 inf is a cheap price to pay for making that endeavour more difficult.

• @surfer said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

I like the other play better. You limit G moves. But this does defend against eastward expansion from G. I guess I don’t like this because it allows him to pivot back to Bryansk.

I agree, but the main problem is that it’s a tad unstable or risky. Can be solved with foreign figs, but partly I want to boost the soviet economy with 5 IPC if possible and partly I’m not sure if the figs will be better needed elsewhere.

The Samara choice is simply a lot more secure, especially regarding the capital.

Sure, Italy has less than 10 % chance of succeeding with a daredevil-attack on a blocker of 4 inf, but if it succeeds Russia is likely screwed.

One way of countering that is to keep a bigger blocker, like 5 or 6 inf. Since G can’t use air expending it, they will likely not benefit from trying.

Another problem though is that Tambov is a 50/50-battle. Usually that means heavy causalties for G even if they win, but if the loss is too little, again, Russia is screwed.

Maybe the smart thing to do is stacking in Tambov and securing everything with foreign air? Not being greedy.

This still needs some thought.

• What exactly are you defending though? I don’t think he is going to take the entire stack of fast movers German troops into Chinese territory. Maybe he would blitz through to Turkmenistan to threaten Calcutta/ME from the other side, but at that point you could stack Persia and leave a blocker in Eastern Persia and it wouldn’t be an issue. If it is only to save 2 Chinese territories for another turn, I dont think it is worth it because the Japanese infantry and artillery in the north are also picking off territories one by one. Sure, it might get China 2-3 more points for 1 more turn, but that’s roughly a wash then isn’t it? I’m new, so I am not by any means trying to be confrontational, and if I am missing something totally point it out! Thanks :)

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

The Tambov move can be “fixed” by not placing 10 inf in Vologda. Put 5 there, and move the 5 to Samara. Now there are 9 in Samara. No way for Italian can open. Germany could take Samara, but would be destroyed in counter attack. But 55-45 battle in Tambov is not good. Easily fixed with 1 french ftr or more.

What do you think is more important, pushing G back, or increasing income?
    Pro of Tambov: Where does G move? Mostly towards Ukraine, ok, what about the slow movers in Volgograd? Could just stay and die. R would have to use a large force to kill it and then G counter through Bryansk is a checkmate on capitol.

Back to thinking, this move doesn’t really matter because your just going to have to return home next turn. Defend Samara as at least that slows down an eastward movement

• @Saber25 said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

What exactly are you defending though? I don’t think he is going to take the entire stack of fast movers German troops into Chinese territory. Maybe he would blitz through to Turkmenistan to threaten Calcutta/ME from the other side, but at that point you could stack Persia and leave a blocker in Eastern Persia and it wouldn’t be an issue. If it is only to save 2 Chinese territories for another turn, I dont think it is worth it because the Japanese infantry and artillery in the north are also picking off territories one by one. Sure, it might get China 2-3 more points for 1 more turn, but that’s roughly a wash then isn’t it? I’m new, so I am not by any means trying to be confrontational, and if I am missing something totally point it out! Thanks :)

Do not underestimate the chinese! ;)

That China-hoard is a true pain in the arse for Japan. I want it to get even bigger, not smaller. 1 IPC here and there is quite a big thing for little China.

China is very inflexible. They have a limited push and won’t be able to defend their territories particularly well. Where the stack is right now in Kweichow is a perfect central position. Still doesn’t connect with the west or east fringes.

It will likely not stay there though. How much I like the centre-control, the stack has to achieve something more than just supervising area.

One idea is to help UK out by entering Yunnan á la farmboy. Another is to move north and try to reach the richer territories that way. Did a silly effort to the east, but the stack will just be squashed. Up north it will disconnect from most of the japanese navy-air.

To reiterate, China won’t be able to fight for it’s western domains. Russia also has better things to do. In the light of that, stopping G from an easy eastward expansion is actually rather valuable.

If Italy wants to can-open that inf, then be our guest. I’m sure it’s not worth that much for Axis.

• TripleA Manual Gamesave Post: Russians round 6

TripleA Manual Gamesave Post for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 6

Purchase Units - Russians
            Russians buy 7 artilleries; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Russians
            1 mech_infantry moved from Ethiopia to Italian Somaliland
                  Russians take Italian Somaliland from Italians
            1 infantry moved from Russia to Bryansk
                  Russians take Bryansk from Germans
            1 infantry moved from Russia to Tambov
                  Russians take Tambov from Germans

Combat - Russians

Non Combat Move - Russians
            1 infantry moved from Vologda to Archangel
            2 infantry moved from Dzavhan to Yenisey
            1 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Kazakhstan
            1 aaGun, 4 artilleries, 34 infantry and 3 mech_infantrys moved from Samara to Tambov
            1 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Samara
            1 aaGun and 2 infantry moved from Vologda to Russia
            26 infantry moved from Russia to Tambov
            1 infantry moved from Timguska to Novosibirsk
            2 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Samara
            1 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Samara
            6 infantry moved from Russia to Tambov
            2 aaGuns moved from Russia to Tambov
            2 aaGuns and 1 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Vologda
            2 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Vologda
            2 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Vologda
            1 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Vologda
            4 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Vologda
            1 submarine moved from 105 Sea Zone to 92 Sea Zone

Place Units - Russians
            7 artilleries placed in Russia

Turn Complete - Russians
            Russians collect 18 PUs; end with 18 PUs
            Objective Russians 2 Spread Of Communism: Russians met a national objective for an additional 9 PUs; end with 27 PUs
            Turning on Edit Mode
            EDIT: Removing units owned by Russians from Vologda: 2 infantry
            EDIT: Adding units owned by Russians to Samara: 1 infantry
            EDIT: Adding units owned by Russians to Novosibirsk: 1 infantry
            EDIT: Turning off Edit Mode

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Savegame

• I’ve finally decided upon the more aggressive stance, which I think forces G to consolidate in either Rostov or Caucasus or alternatively initiating a southern push for the ME.

I consider the latter to be suicide, so I’m expecting a Rostov-stack with a fair collection of pansar. That controls the important area and keeps up the pressure on Moscow, but G can’t stay there forever. Eventually they’ll be out-produced if the army just stays put.

Russia does still have a respectable income, thanks to Iraq and Africa.

I’m sensing with 8 italian mechs incoming, G will have some more substantial can-opening soon. That’s first in 3 turns though. More importantly, the 3 figs and 1 sb will likely be of great impact already next turn, unless the Allies forces Italy’s hand for defence.

From Tambov we’ll have the option to stack in either Bryansk, Tambov, Samara or Moscow next turn.

• The french fig will be able to secure Moscow in case Italy would be successful with a can-opening in Samara. I’m pretty confident though that the effort will not happen since that attack is nothing more than insane desperado.

After Japan we may decide whether to evacuate air from Russia or safe-guard Tambov.

A full-scale german attack on Tambov is perhaps a 55 %-battle in their favour, but it carries with it a lot of uncertainty and an expected -50 TUV-swing. Honestly don’t think G can afford that. Especially since Russia will be able to produce 9 inf again and get substantial help from allied figs.

I’m leaning towards playing boldly and collecting those extra 5 IPC. :grinning:

• The plan is set. Consider this finalized.

• @surfer said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

What do you think is more important, pushing G back, or increasing income?

Both. ;)

Usually they’re connected though. On several levels.

We won’t be able to push G back, but can only apply pressure atm to demand defence.

• 5 IPC is about 15 % of Russia’s present income. Almost 2 inf. It’s a lot.

What exactly are you defending though? I don’t think he is going to take the entire stack of fast movers German troops into Chinese territory.

Might add that if Kazakhstan is empty Grey Danger will only need one tank to help out his friend Yellow Plague, plus get 2 extra income. Totally worth it. To prevent that pesky tank from just gobbling up more territories, China will have to send or plant units west. Not so good for the Allies grand plan in Asia.

If having to invest an italian tank or two (which will be slaughtered unless G stacks in Kaz, which they really don’t want to) and some uncertainty in the coctail, I suppose it’s not as promising.

Getting rid of german can-openers is also very valuable.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Japan 6: Is my capital safe? The US has a 4 infantry, mech, artillery attack followed by an ANZAC infantry, artillery and 2 fighter attack. So, need sufficient forces to stop that.

Strategy: Need to try and maintain and if possible increase Japan income. US is starting to spend heavily on the Pacific side and they are slowly gaining on the IJN. Not good. Need more carriers to equal the US fleet and more ground troops for India and China. All forces can hold but not attack.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

TripleA Turn Summary: Japanese round 6

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Purchase Units - Japanese
            Japanese buy 2 carriers, 2 fighters, 3 infantry, 1 submarine and 1 transport; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 6 SuicideAttackTokens; 

Combat Move - Japanese
            1 infantry moved from French Indo China to Kwangsi
            1 infantry moved from French Indo China to Kwangsi
            1 infantry moved from Anhwe to Kiangsi
            1 infantry moved from Suiyuyan to Hopei
            1 infantry moved from Malaya to 37 Sea Zone
            1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 37 Sea Zone to 42 Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from Java to 42 Sea Zone
            2 infantry and 1 transport moved from 42 Sea Zone to 39 Sea Zone
            2 infantry moved from 39 Sea Zone to India
            1 armour moved from Shan State to Yunnan
                  Japanese take Yunnan from Chinese
            1 armour moved from Yunnan to Shan State
            2 bombers moved from Shan State to India
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from 39 Sea Zone to India
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from 37 Sea Zone to India
            3 fighters and 3 tactical_bombers moved from 35 Sea Zone to Kwangsi
            3 fighters and 3 tactical_bombers moved from Anhwe to Kiangsi
            6 fighters moved from Anhwe to Hopei

Combat - Japanese
            Battle in India
                Japanese attack with 2 bombers, 2 fighters, 2 infantry and 2 tactical_bombers
                British defend with 2 infantry; UK_Pacific defend with 1 airfield, 1 factory_minor and 1 harbour
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 cruiser in India, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                    Japanese roll dice for 2 bombers, 2 fighters, 2 infantry and 2 tactical_bombers in India, round 2 : 3/8 hits, 4.00 expected hits
                    UK_Pacific roll dice for 2 infantry in India, round 2 : 1/2 hits, 0.67 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Japanese and 2 infantry owned by the British lost in India
                Japanese captures 3PUs while taking UK_Pacific capital
                Japanese win, taking India from UK_Pacific with 2 bombers, 2 fighters, 1 infantry and 2 tactical_bombers remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for Japanese: 1 infantry
                Casualties for British: 2 infantry
            Battle in Kwangsi
                Japanese attack with 3 fighters, 2 infantry and 3 tactical_bombers
                Chinese defend with 1 infantry
                    Japanese roll dice for 3 fighters, 2 infantry and 3 tactical_bombers in Kwangsi, round 2 : 2/8 hits, 3.83 expected hits
                    Chinese roll dice for 1 infantry in Kwangsi, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Chinese lost in Kwangsi
                Japanese win, taking Kwangsi from Chinese with 3 fighters, 2 infantry and 3 tactical_bombers remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for Chinese: 1 infantry
            Battle in Kiangsi
                Japanese attack with 3 fighters, 1 infantry and 3 tactical_bombers
                    Japanese roll dice for 3 fighters, 1 infantry and 3 tactical_bombers in Kiangsi, round 2 : 2/7 hits, 3.67 expected hits
                    Chinese roll dice for 1 infantry in Kiangsi, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Chinese lost in Kiangsi
                Japanese win, taking Kiangsi from Chinese with 3 fighters, 1 infantry and 3 tactical_bombers remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
            Battle in Hopei
                Japanese attack with 6 fighters and 1 infantry
                    Japanese roll dice for 6 fighters and 1 infantry in Hopei, round 2 : 3/7 hits, 3.17 expected hits
                    Chinese roll dice for 1 infantry in Hopei, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Chinese lost in Hopei
                Japanese win, taking Hopei from Chinese with 6 fighters and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3

Non Combat Move - Japanese
            1 infantry moved from Siberia to Amur
            1 infantry moved from Soviet Far East to Siberia
            1 submarine moved from 6 Sea Zone to 35 Sea Zone
            3 fighters and 3 tactical_bombers moved from Kwangsi to 35 Sea Zone
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from Kiangsi to 35 Sea Zone
            1 carrier moved from 37 Sea Zone to 35 Sea Zone
            1 transport moved from 39 Sea Zone to 38 Sea Zone
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from Shan State to 38 Sea Zone
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from Shan State to 37 Sea Zone
            2 infantry moved from Malaya to 37 Sea Zone
            1 artillery, 3 infantry and 2 transports moved from 37 Sea Zone to 39 Sea Zone
            1 artillery, 1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 38 Sea Zone to 39 Sea Zone
            2 artilleries and 4 infantry moved from 39 Sea Zone to Ceylon
            2 bombers moved from India to French Indo China
            1 infantry moved from French Indo China to Shan State
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from India to 39 Sea Zone
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from India to Shan State
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from Kiangsi to Shan State
            1 destroyer moved from 44 Sea Zone to 35 Sea Zone
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from Philippines to 35 Sea Zone
            1 artillery, 1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 35 Sea Zone to 37 Sea Zone
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from 37 Sea Zone to Shan State
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from Kiangsi to Anhwe
            6 fighters moved from Hopei to Anhwe
            1 artillery moved from Suiyuyan to Chahar
            4 fighters moved from Japan to Anhwe
            1 fighter moved from Japan to Anhwe

Place Units - Japanese
            2 carriers and 1 transport placed in 37 Sea Zone
            3 infantry placed in French Indo China
            1 submarine placed in 6 Sea Zone
            2 fighters placed in Japan

Turn Complete - Japanese
            Japanese collect 66 PUs; end with 69 PUs
            Objective Japanese 4 Control Dutch East Indies: Japanese met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 74 PUs
            Objective Japanese 3 Control Honolulu Or Sydney Or Calcutta Or Western United States: Japanese met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 79 PUs

Chinese : -1.00
    UK_Pacific : 0.33
    Japanese : -4.17

Savegame

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Felt this was the best Japan could do. This should put a little more pressure on the Indian UK defense forces.

• @AndrewAAGamer said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

Felt this was the best Japan could do. This should put a little more pressure on the Indian UK defense forces.

It does. It’s interesting.

Time for the mega-turn. There are plenty of crucial choices to be made.

US
    Pacific

The air in Anwhe makes a landing in Korea futile.

There’s a possibility to take Java or Celebes, but it can’t be held.

Main choices are to consolidate fleet by Carolines or Queensland.

Atlantic

Attack Finland.

Try and hold Normandie or evacuate.

Fleet in z91 or z110.

China

Head north to Hopei or south to Yunnan. Might need some foreign air-support for the stack, which would be the french fig.

UK

Fleet z80 and z92.

Try and hold W India, but perhaps not possible.

Stack up in the ME. Protect NWP against italian can-opening and pressure so G can’t stack up. G has to use expensive mechs to kill the block.

Follow US suit on the west front.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

In the Atlantic, I would probably retreat from Normandy. I haven’t looked close at the odds. I don’t think Italy can take it alone if you land enough air, but I think you would have to worry about Italy softening it for Germany. I would build the Gib AB, and move the US/UK fleet to 92. You have Norway, this gives you range to hit Italy, Normandy and Greece.

A blocker is useful in NWP, but only if you have enough units to counterattack if he stacks with Germany alone in NWP. You just have enough I think with an all art build in Persia and a blocker of 4. May want to build an air in Egypt too.

I would take India, and leave 2 inf and a AA in W India. The remaining units I would move o E Persia and I would stack tanks and mechs there. It forces him to commit more units to taking W India to secure it.

Because of this, I would be very tempted to move the fleet to 80, although it has a lot of value where it is. 81 Might be a good option since it can hit 79 from there, and you can still threaten the Med.

In the Pacific, I would take Celebes with ANZAC (it likely forces him to waste a transport) and grab Marshall Islands with the US (since with minimal protection you can likely keep that transport safe.) Otherwise, I would just build up the pressure by building the US fleet.

I would probably keep the China stack where it is and just attack Hopei and Yunnan. Yunnan is also tempting. I’d be nervous because all his air can reach and that is a near 100% battle for him. But the cost to him would probably be enormous and he would not be able to use air anywhere else in the game. Worth considering at least.

• I agree, Normandie looks like a lost cause.

• TripleA Manual Gamesave Post: Americans round 6

TripleA Manual Gamesave Post for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Purchase Units - Americans
            Americans buy 1 bomber, 1 carrier, 1 destroyer, 2 fighters, 3 infantry and 2 submarines; Remaining resources: 1 PUs; 

Combat Move - Americans
            1 infantry moved from Normandy Bordeaux to Southern France
                  Americans take Southern France from Italians
            1 infantry moved from Normandy Bordeaux to Holland Belgium
            1 bomber moved from Scotland to Finland
            1 bomber moved from Vologda to Finland
            1 armour and 1 mech_infantry moved from Norway to Finland
            1 fighter moved from 110 Sea Zone to Holland Belgium
            2 fighters moved from United Kingdom to Finland
            1 fighter moved from 110 Sea Zone to Holland Belgium
            1 infantry and 1 mech_infantry moved from Hawaiian Islands to 26 Sea Zone
            1 infantry, 1 mech_infantry and 1 transport moved from 26 Sea Zone to 32 Sea Zone
            1 infantry and 1 mech_infantry moved from 32 Sea Zone to Marshall Islands

Savegame

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m