How much would you donate to this site for improvements?

• Founder TripleA Admin

I’m looking into new forum and content management software, new hosting options, and, most importantly, an effective way to stop spam. The first of these items requires time and motivation. The later two, however, require money. There is only so much a site like this can get from advertising and sponsorships.

Upgraded hosting will require between $5 and $25 more per month. A subscription to Akismet for priority spam filtering will be $50/month $5/month. That’s a minimum additional cost of $660/year. The total yearly cost will be between $120 and $360.

BoardGameGeek.com gets away with asking their members to become patrons, why not the same at Axis & Allies.org? You wouldn’t get much more than a badge on the forums, bragging rights, and the satisfaction that you’re helping to fight spam on the site.

Please vote in this poll, even if your answer is none.

Thanks.

• I didn’t know spam was a problem.  I’m sure several people would be interested in paying to stop the 50x errors (site interruptions) that are highly inconvenient and annoying.  Would any of the solutions you are describing stop the 50x errors?  If I donate, will it help?

• Founder TripleA Admin

It doesn’t appear to be a problem because IL spends a bunch of time getting rid of it all.

Upgrading the hosting package AND migrating to new forum software AND using something new for spam control SHOULD get rid of the 50x errors. The last time I upgraded the server it helped. It seems that the system hangs on creating and implementing the bans so new software should also help.

The short answer, yes, it will help.

@gamerman01:

I didn’t know spam was a problem.  I’m sure several people would be interested in paying to stop the 50x errors (site interruptions) that are highly inconvenient and annoying.  Would any of the solutions you are describing stop the 50x errors?  If I donate, will it help?

• Founder TripleA Admin

I just confirmed that the 50x errors are being caused by creating new bans for spammers. The new system will only occasionally require bans.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I did some more research on Akismet and updated the cost. At 10k posts per month, we don’t, yet, need the higher level service.

• Cool, well I would pony up $25 and voted accordingly.

• I’d like to donate but, being only 16 years old, I don’t have any of my own money.

• I will pay whatever it takes. Anything to kill the spammers

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Would a payment be required for admission to the site, if this was the case you should be able to get away with less than 2 bucks a pop.

I would gladly give that much. This site is the foundation of the international AA community. 'Nuf said.

• Founder TripleA Admin

No, payment would not be a requirement. It would be optional, kinda like a tip jar.

@Canuck12:

Would a payment be required for admission to the site, if this was the case you should be able to get away with less than 2 bucks a pop.

I would gladly give that much. This site is the foundation of the international AA community. 'Nuf said.

• At what point will we be notified how to put dollars into the tip jar?  You already have 4 people or so willing to put in $25 or $50 or more - get the money out of us while we’re here!

• 2007 AAR League

Count me in for a contribution.

• @Emperor:

Count me in for a contribution.

Same here

• Founder TripleA Admin

I’m going to create a badge for the supporters of the website and I’m going to have three levels, Gold, Silver, Bronze. The question is, should there be a different badge for each of the levels? Or just one badge for all?

Update: the year will be listed on the badge kinda like Board Game Geek.

• since $50 is the cap, then perhaps 5 in all:

Diamond $50
    Platinum $40
    Gold $30
    Silver $20
    Bronze $10

Or as you suggested
    Gold $50
    Silver $25
    Bronze $10

• Great idea.  That will certainly encourage contributions even more.  Just let us know when and how to contribute.

• 2007 AAR League

I’m ready to make my donation…diamond level, but i do have some concerns.

How will you handle online donations, transactions must be secure.
    Once we start down this road what regulations will the site be subject to?

If we do this the site goes from just an informational site to one where money is passing hands.  I’m no expert, but I do know Libs, if it moves, tax it.

I’m sure the feds have rules governing this (they can’t help themselves) so before we jump in head first let’s make sure we know what we are doing.

• Great idea.  That will certainly encourage contributions even more.  Just let us know when and how to contribute.

Click upper right hand side with pay pal invoice for Gold Patron.

• Founder TripleA Admin

You’re paying for a virtual good, the badge that appears on your profile. As of now virtual goods do not require sales tax. You could also argue that you’re voluntarily paying for a service. Board Game Geek already does this sort of thing too.

As for income tax, I’ve been filing taxes for the earnings on this site since I put up the ads.

David

@Emperor:

I’m ready to make my donation…diamond level, but i do have some concerns.

How will you handle online donations, transactions must be secure.
    Once we start down this road what regulations will the site be subject to?

If we do this the site goes from just an informational site to one where money is passing hands.  I’m no expert, but I do know Libs, if it moves, tax it.

I’m sure the feds have rules governing this (they can’t help themselves) so before we jump in head first let’s make sure we know what we are doing.

• 2007 AAR League

@djensen:

You’re paying for a virtual good, the badge that appears on your profile. As of now virtual goods do not require sales tax. You could also argue that you’re voluntarily paying for a service. Board Game Geek already does this sort of thing too.

As for income tax, I’ve been filing taxes for the earnings on this site since I put up the ads.

David

Sounds good then, how do we go about making a donation?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m