My review copy of Axis & Allies Europe 1940 has arrived

• It looks like there are several non-neutral territories that have zero IPC value.  I didn’t expect that.

• I’d be extremely suprised if Algeria was one of those territories, seeing as it was the “main” French colony, but I don’t see an IPC value!!! Does anyone else see it?

• nope dont see any IPC value.

• @McMan:

I’d be extremely suprised if Algeria was one of those territories, seeing as it was the “main” French colony, but I don’t see an IPC value!!! Does anyone else see it?

Just Morocco.

• Customizer

Algeria is worth 1 IPC. The french start with 17 IPCs AAE40. If you total up the IPC values of all of France’s other European territories you get 16. This means Algeria must be worth 1 IPC and its simply hard to see since the territory is so light colored. Note: the only French territory not worth anything in AAE40 is French Guinea.

• So are the new roundels going to be added to the AxisandAllies.org logo, DJensen?  Or are you going for a retro/classic look with just the originals? :wink:

• Founder TripleA Admin

No changes to the logo for now. I need a site redesign but now is not the time for that.

@SAS:

So are the new roundels going to be added to the AxisandAllies.org logo, DJensen?  Or are you going for a retro/classic look with just the originals? :wink:

• Customizer

Well… much of the other comments I was going to say about the set-up and map have already been said.  But being a painter of the minis, I have to mention that I think the French infantry are really cool, and their half-track… not sure about their aircraft - would have to have them in my hands.  Bummer about getting the Russian units for French ones (though we expected that), good thing FMG is making cool ones for us…

Just an fyi… it is not a Union Jack unless it’s the British flag flown on a ship, on a wooden pole.  Crazy.  :wink:

• The French units are rocking the sweet trenchcoats. :mrgreen:

http://www.axisandallies.org/node/433

• French inf are really neat. Too bad they’ll be scattered and generally useless most of the game. Italy’s inf are okay, but they remind me too much of UK/ANZAc inf.

• @SAS:

The French units are rocking the sweet trenchcoats.

And there’s a ridge along the top of their helmets, so they’re modeled on the French Adrian helmet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_helmet).

• Wow, those French units look great!

• The french inf unit does look great, but I am likewise dissapointed with the use of Russian units for the French.  Of course, you will probably never see a French T-34 after the second round so who cares.  As for the Italians they had a chance to make sculpts just for them but instead went for Germans with a paint job, and even the infantry looks like German just in a new position.

Ah well, FMG’s Italian pieces will be out before you know it and these “finto Italianos” can be shelved for something else…perhaps Axis Minors like (Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Finland)?? for house rules.  From the looks of it though we will be stuck with the Russian/French units for some time to come since I’m sure they are at the lower end of the list for FMG to replace.

Anyway, I cant wait to get my copy and start playing!!!

• Danger,

Table Tactics is releasing French pieces (3 tanks!) matching A&A scale & color (unlike his other sets). You will be very happy I think :-)

• @Stickman:

Wow, those French units look great!

I love the French battleship  :-P

• It is the Russian battleship from 1942.

• Well mixed results.

Italy uses a stuka and France borrows everything from other allies except its infantry.

• I think the T-34 is ok, like most people have said, you wont see any much past round 2 or so. The French did have a tank in 1939 called the somua S-39 (or 35) that did kind of look like the T-34, so it dosnt bother me too much. I am more disapointed with the Italian sculpts, they already had their own sculpts from AA50, I dont fully understand why they couldnt just reuse them

• It was stated by Larry in the original announcement about the Italian sculpts that there were “production problems” with the Italian sculpts from AA50.  Basically, they were either lost or thrown out after AA50, or they decided they couldn’t use them since the new sculpts they were using (ala Spring 1942) were bigger.  This then meant that WOTC didn’t want to invest the money in recreating the Italian sculpts (ditto for the French sculpts), so they just duplicated the German sculpts in brown (and the Russian in blue).  Larry was disappointed as well. :-(

• Keep in mind the only unique Italian sculpt was the tank. All others were German in AA50 as well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m