Tank: Panzer III or King Tiger
    Artillery: Pak 36
    Fighter: New decent Stuka or FW-190
    Bomber: Heinkel
    Submarine: Type VII
    Battleship: Scharnhorst or Hipper class
    Cruiser:Scharnhorst or Hipper class
    Destroyer: Zerstörer 1936A “Narvik”

so basically you rebuilt the units with new iconic pieces to either replace the existing pieces with these ( which was the intention) or even better you got a new line of pieces so you can build an entire line of new types of pieces. It would be like how some people use the old MB AA pieces for various extra units.

The key is the color must match exactly and the size of each piece must be in the same proportion as in AA50. So you could have two kinds of German battleship if you wanted to and have it with different costs or capabilities or just use it to replace the old unit. This gives maximum utility from the value of getting pieces in the first place.

• As usual I agree with IL

• I imagine FMarsh needs to keep this project to a single set of molds to make it economically viable.  In this vein, I believe he will receive the greatest number of orders by having a complete new set of pieces which will be able to replace the OOTB pieces or used along side the OOTB stuff.  The colors are an important factor as is the detail quality.  The additional pieces may have to wait until he has shown a sufficient profit to pursue that as a new project.  Even in my “extras” request, I realized it was not trivial to ask for a special infantry mold for China and the Aussies.  I don’t have BOTB, AAE or AA50 so I don’t know what kind of extras are in those sets (pill boxes, trucks, etc.) but asking for pieces beyond the types used in AAR along with a set of cruisers and Italians may prevent this project from making a profit.  I hope FMarsh makes plenty of sets, has plenty of orders, and can develop many other products in the future with the profit he gets from this project.  My biggest reason to support this is because the AAR set I have includes redundant pieces (same tanks for UK and US, same arty pieces, same subs for different countries, and even the same transports).  I want a unique unit in each country.  My Pacific game has US Navy planes, so I don’t have to worry about the P-38 on my carriers any more.

For these reasons, I want something besides the “Zero” as the Japanese fighter.  But I don’t know what that plane should be.  I suppose a “Kate” might be OK, but maybe there are others.  I am also struggling with what the UK fighter should be since the Spitfire is already in the AAR set.  Is there an iconic Pacific theatre fighter for the UK?  There is no question you fellows know more about the specific WWII hardware than I do.

• kittyhawk was a pacific fighter wasn’t it?

is there still going to be jet fighter molds at some point (sorry if i skipped someone covering that). i want an me262 for my germany  :cry:

• '10

kittyhawk was a pacific fighter wasn’t it?

The Kittyhawk, Warhawk and Tomohawk were all P-40 but different variation.  The Tomohawk was basically the export version and was the main type that served with the Flying Tigers.  All versions served in the pacific.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_P-40

• American fighter has got to be the Mustang P-51

American bomber should be a B-25 Mitchell. That way the other bomber from AA50 could be a heavy bomber because it looks just like a strategic bomber, while the B-25 is your average joe medium bomber.

The AA50 fighter already looks like a classic naval tac fighter or torpedo bomber

I agree that all the new pieces need to be iconic, but their are other choices than just redoing the basic pieces.

The American tank is fine , so the new tank could be a Stuart, M24 Chaffee, M3 Lee. It makes no sence to just make a new replacement Sherman because we already got that and the current Sherman is just fine. The whole idea is:

1. make a new set of pieces
    2. to correct the problems found in some of the AA pieces ( Italian cruiser, etc)

If your just wasting money revamping the exact same pieces but a little bit better it WONT be as successful financially as just making something original and better.

The spitfire for UK is just fine, a Swordfish would be something while all the other British fighters look alot like the spitfire. It makes no sence to make ANOTHER SPITFIRE. To me it seems like a waste of money for the trouble to FIX basically not “broken” pieces. To me the whole idea is to fix what is broken which is the whole issue that a number of the AA pieces are doubled up on more than one nation ( like Italy and Japan having the same artillery unit)

So since FMG is taking the bold step and making new pieces, it seems a waste to redo alot of the same pieces that were basically fine, but missing the opportunity to make something new, which creates utility for other games yet to come. It would give a whole new universe of pieces to create new rules for and substitute in future AA games, because frankly i expect WOTC to maintain its cheapness and avoid new pieces and keep rehashing out the old crap over and over. FMG stands to make a huge standing for all these types of games and raise the bar for quality.

• I agree 100% with IL

New units, give us some variety.

I would love a hurricane, typhoon or mosquito for the UK fighter, so it can go along with the spitfires fro AA50.

Even dive bombers for the fighter pieces would be neat.

Variety is the spice of live after all!

• all the pieces should be new sculpt’s, the extra detail that would be used would be noticable, although most of the pieces from revised are detailed, with the exception of the airforce, the transport, the u.s. and u.k. armor,
    for the project to be successful, the pieces should be as far removed from other readily available pieces that are at market,
    there is also room for  highly detailed bigger battleships, new I.C. and AA gun, i think that the color for the models should be chosen by the color that show’s the greatest detail to the finished model

• FMG: Are making new pieces for China also? And I’m in for a pre-order!  :-D

• I’m not uninterested in this project but personally don’t have a lot of call for additional pieces. Being on the fence on the matter I’ve felt I should ‘stay out.’

However just re-sculpts of the pieces I have would be of less interest than an additional set of pieces that could be their own units or generic units. A Tiger Tank sculpt would be of more utility than a more accurate panther sculpt.

Basically agreeing with IL.

• Official Q&A

Of course, that assumes that the new pieces are at least close in color to the official ones.  If they’re too different, they’re not of much use as specialized unit types.

• Color is supposed to match the battledice, but even if a bit different I think they could still suffice to work with current pieces.  Some Paintskreig could always fix your ills.  And since they’d have to be at least re-sculpted designs of the original units they could function as extensions of unit types from the original or stand-alones that simply replace all the originals.

• @LuckyDay:

Color is supposed to match the battledice, but even if a bit different I think they could still suffice to work with current pieces.  Some Paintskreig could always fix your ills.  And since they’d have to be at least re-sculpted designs of the original units they could function as extensions of unit types from the original or stand-alones that simply replace all the originals.

Neato, someone using the term “Paintkrieg”. I wonder if i can claim coinage of that ;)

Anywho, as long as the model quality is good i will buy, I would prefer new units, but the colour wont phase me as I will paint them.

I can see how people would want the new plastics as close as possible to the originals though

• I would be content if the pieces matched the battle dice. Besides WOTC/AH already has so many variations in their national colors…Japanese in 3 colors…Germans in 4…

• '10

(Back from vacation and well rested….  Back to work)

I understood going into this that it would be impossible to make EVERYONE 100% happy but I am sure the final product will be acceptable to everyone.

So far we are resolved on the following:

The colors with match the COMBAT DICE

The number of the units for each nation will be the same (no cheaping out on some)  Each nation will have around 200 units so they can be used for ANY AAA game or varient aswell as other WW2 games.

The quality and detail of the units will be far superior to ANYTHING that has been released to date.

We are going to to make TWO sculpts for INF and ARM for each nation.  They will be the same color but will give the game a great look OR can be used for varient rules etc…

As for Naval units and Air units we will stick with the ICONIC types.  (I think we will do the Hurricane for UK as this is more historiclay acurate)

The bases will fit on AAA chips with the same rounded base type

If this goes off well we will continue with the line and do FRENCH, ANZAC, CANADIAN, POLISH, SPANISH, TURKISH and other types.  But to start we will do the SIX nations in AA50.

We are working on all six of the moulds concurently but the first off the production line will be the ITALIANS.  These will be shipped to all those who have pre-orders so you have something to show for your investment as soon as possible.  I hope the release of the ITALIANS will show the quality of the product and increase the interest thus making it alot easier to fund the entire set. (without having to morgage my house  :|)

More details on the final set and pre-order information will follow soon.

Thanks

Jeremy

• ANZAC? ANZAC! ANZAC!!!

Explodes!!!

• I am very excited to here of the developments in this project!! If we can get it to work, it will be the ultimate “screw you” to the plastic Nazis at Hasbro/Wizards/Avalon Hill….

(Laughs maniacally…)

When they come up with their lame response to this prodject, we will reply:

(Thick Spanish accent)
      "Pieces? Pieces!! We don’t need no stinkin’ pieces!!!

• very happy with how you’re approaching the sculpts for the pieces FMG’s, keep up the good work

• When and how much do you need per sets on pre-order?

Jeff

• '10

@ElCapitan:

When and how much do you need per sets on pre-order?

Jeff

Next week we will have the pre-order system set up.  We are aiming at 200 pre-orders to do the entire project.  That is almost half the cost.  FMG will put up the other half.

We also have a surprise that will be revealed at the same time  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m