Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• what do the 2 uk country control markers mean the ones with the current uk flag?

• It is for marking UK Pacific’s current IPC count on the income track.  The 2nd is just a spare

• Brand new player here - first played this past weekend - yet somehow found myself in the role of GM between my friends who were playing (also their first time). I (we) have a few questions that could not be found in the rulebooks or we are confused on. I apologize in advance if these are either stupid questions or answered in the rulebook etc.

1. If an attacking unit engages in combat, does it get to move at all during the non-combat-movement phase? Specifically, if an attacking Battleship or Carrier takes a hit of damage and needs to repair, can it move to a friendly base (within 2 movement spaces of it) during the non-combat-movement phase, or does it have to wait for that countries next turn?

2. Does repairing a unit in a naval yard expend all its movement points for that turn?

3. Aircraft flying between islands - if a small island (think in the pacific) is entirely surrounded by a single sea zone, does it coast 1-movement for that aircraft to leave the island and enter the sea zone?

4. All attacks per-country must be announced at the same time during the beginning of the combat phase?

5. In a land battle involving aircraft, does a defending AAA-Gun get one shot to shoot at the attacking aircraft?

6. Submarines - these I am confused on. If an attacking submarine attacks a fleet with no destroyers, it gets a surprise attack. Anything it hits during that surprise attack is immediately sunk and removed from combat. The remaining ships then get to fire back at the submarine, correct?

What happens if a Destroyer is present, negating the surprise attack, but it gets sunk. Does the submarine gain the surprise attack at the beginning of the next round of attacks since the destroyer is removed from gameplay?

If aircraft are attacking submarines with a destroyer present (to allow them to attack the submarines) do they lose their ability to hit the submarine if the Destroyer is sunk?

7. Can Fighters all by themselves attack land-units in a province, simply to eliminate the troops there? Do they need Tactical/Strategic Bombers with them in order to do so? I am assuming that since Aircraft can attack Naval Units by themselves they can do the same on land.

8. If Japan attacks the Dutch Islands, does that automatically put them at war with the UK and ANZAC?

9. Can UK-purchased units deployed to India be transferred - either by walking or using transports - to the European part of the map?

Sorry for the plethora of questions! I am sure I can come up with more!

• @PanzerPenguin:

Brand new player here - first played this past weekend - yet somehow found myself in the role of GM between my friends who were playing (also their first time). I (we) have a few questions that could not be found in the rulebooks or we are confused on. I apologize in advance if these are either stupid questions or answered in the rulebook etc.

no need  :-)

1. If an attacking unit engages in combat, does it get to move at all during the non-combat-movement phase? Specifically, if an attacking Battleship or Carrier takes a hit of damage and needs to repair, can it move to a friendly base (within 2 movement spaces of it) during the non-combat-movement phase, or does it have to wait for that countries next turn?

Only aircraft can move after engaging in combat

2. Does repairing a unit in a naval yard expend all its movement points for that turn?

It doesn’t expend any movement at all

3. Aircraft flying between islands - if a small island (think in the pacific) is entirely surrounded by a single sea zone, does it coast 1-movement for that aircraft to leave the island and enter the sea zone?Yes

4. All attacks per-country must be announced at the same time during the beginning of the combat phase?

All attacks per country must be announced during the combat movement phase.  The combat movement phase is over when all combat movement has been made.  The beginning of the combat phase is for defender decisions on kamikazes, scrambling, and intercepting.

5. In a land battle involving aircraft, does a defending AAA-Gun get one shot to shoot at the attacking aircraft?

Each AAA gun gets 1 shot per attacking aircraft, up to a maximum of 3 aircraft per AAA gun.  The aircraft are removed and don’t get to fire an attack roll at all.

6. Submarines - these I am confused on. If an attacking submarine attacks a fleet with no destroyers, it gets a surprise attack. Anything it hits during that surprise attack is immediately sunk and removed from combat. The remaining ships then get to fire back at the submarine, correct?

Yes, but if those hits are damaging carriers or battleships, those ships still can fire back.  But when a damaged carrier or battleship is hit by a sub again, it is sunk without getting to fire back.  Surprise strike occurs every round, not just the first round

What happens if a Destroyer is present, negating the surprise attack, but it gets sunk. Does the submarine gain the surprise attack at the beginning of the next round of attacks since the destroyer is removed from gameplay?

Right - once the last destroyer is sunk, the subs will get all their abilities (submersible and surprise strike) back in the next round of combat for the first time.
    I’m working on the rest……

• @PanzerPenguin:

If aircraft are attacking submarines with a destroyer present (to allow them to attack the submarines) do they lose their ability to hit the submarine if the Destroyer is sunk?

Yes, again, for the rounds following.

7. Can Fighters all by themselves attack land-units in a province, simply to eliminate the troops there? Do they need Tactical/Strategic Bombers with them in order to do so? I am assuming that since Aircraft can attack Naval Units by themselves they can do the same on land.

You’re right, they can.  Any aircraft can directly attack any non-facility unit except submarines, for which they need a destroyer present

8. If Japan attacks the Dutch Islands, does that automatically put them at war with the UK and ANZAC?

YES

9. Can UK-purchased units deployed to India be transferred - either by walking or using transports - to the European part of the map?

All UK units can go anywhere at any time.  It’s only the money and purchasing and placement that is separate.

Sorry for the plethora of questions! I am sure I can come up with more!

You will have many more.  This is the place to ask them

• '20 '19 '18 '15 '13

If India is occupied by Japan, and Indian troops re-take West India from the Japanese, do the PUs go to London, or stay with India (and thus are not usable unless India is retaken)?

• Nobody gets IPC’s from West India when it is liberated by the UK and India is in Axis control.

UK units are UK units - no distinction between the 2 sides.  Only the income, cash on hand, and the placement of units are separated.  West India is always UK-Pacifics, and British Colombia is always UK-Europe.

So when India is under Axis control, it’s the same as when Paris is under Axis control - if the same power liberates their own territory (like the French liberating a French territory), nobody collects.  All the other Allies would be able to collect from West India if THEY took it while India is under Axis control, but the UK can’t.  Same as all other UK-Pacific territories, except British Colombia which is London’s

• '20 '19 '18 '15 '13

Thanks!

• ok im confused for anti aircraft can you
    1. move them to different land zones
    2. do you only roll one dice for one aaa
    3. can they only hit on a 1

• @generalTrible:

ok im confused for anti aircraft can you
    1. move them to different land zones

Yes, you can move them from territory to territory in the same manner as infantry or artillery, except that you can not move AAA in the combat movement phase - ever.  Note that you may move AAA into a territory that you just captured during combat, during the non-combat movement phase.

2. do you only roll one dice for one aaa

No, you roll one die for each plane that is attacking the territory (in a conventional attack - AAA do not work against Strategic Bombing raids - all facilities have unlimited built in AA for SBR).  There is a limit of 3 dice per AAA unit.
    So 4 planes against 1 AAA = 3 dice rolled - each one rolled downs a plane
    9 planes against 4 AAA = 9 dice rolled

3. can they only hit on a 1

That’s right, unless you are playing with technology and get radar (I try to be careful saying “always” or “never”).  If you don’t play with technology, then yes you have to roll 1’s

And anticipating a future question - AAA can NOT activate a pro-your side neutral by itself.  However, it may move in if accompanied by a non-AAA ground unit at the same time.  It could also move in (but not activate) a neutral that has been attacked previously by the other side but not conquered.  Don’t be confused by my last paragraph, here.  If you aren’t ready for this, just disregard it for now.

• Thanks for answering my questions! I’ve got a few more.

1. Japan Turn 1 - from my understanding, its only on this turn that they get their ‘special’ attack bonus. Any territory that Japan Attacks on Turn 1 only defends on a ‘1’ even if they normally defend on a ‘2’ or ‘3’ or ‘4’. If this is correct, does this also apply to Japan attacking China on Turn 1?

2. Scrambling - planes can only scramble from an airfield, correct? Can they scramble into a neighboring land province that is under attack (and then act as defenders through the course of the combat) or can they only scramble into a neighboring sea province? I am looking at some of the German starting areas that are land-based with airfields.

3. An Aircraft Carrier that takes a hit during combat can not land its planes correct? Do the planes get to use their movement values to find a safe landing area?

EDIT: 4. USA - USA can DOW on any of the Axis on its money-collection phase of USA Turn 3, correct? If Japan attacks USA on Turn 1, but not ANZAC/UK, then the US still has to wait to DOW Germany/Italy until that same point in Turn 3? But if ANZAC/UK gets warred on my Japan prior to Turn 3, the USA can DOW the rest of the Axis?

Also - does attacking FIC also allow USA to DOW the rest of the Axis if it is prior to their Turn 3?

• @PanzerPenguin:

Thanks for answering my questions! I’ve got a few more.

You’re most welcome - I enjoy it, after all

1. Japan Turn 1 - from my understanding, its only on this turn that they get their ‘special’ attack bonus. Any territory that Japan Attacks on Turn 1 only defends on a ‘1’ even if they normally defend on a ‘2’ or ‘3’ or ‘4’. If this is correct, does this also apply to Japan attacking China on Turn 1?

I don’t know what you’re talking about - sounds like a house rule or something.  According to 2nd edition rules, there are never any circumstances when units don’t get their full defense power

2. Scrambling - planes can only scramble from an airfield, correct?

Correct

Can they scramble into a neighboring land province that is under attack (and then act as defenders through the course of the combat) or can they only scramble into a neighboring sea province?

Good question - scrambling is only to adjoining sea zone, never to land

I am looking at some of the German starting areas that are land-based with airfields.

3. An Aircraft Carrier that takes a hit during combat can not land its planes correct?

Correct

Do the planes get to use their movement values to find a safe landing area?

Yes for attacking planes.  Defending planes get ONE movement point to land safely, which could be on another carrier in the zone, another carrier in a neighboring zone, or adjoining land or island territory

EDIT: 4. USA - USA can DOW on any of the Axis on its money-collection phase of USA Turn 3, correct? If Japan attacks USA on Turn 1, but not ANZAC/UK, then the US still has to wait to DOW Germany/Italy until that same point in Turn 3?

No, turn 3 is the guaranteed first time the USA can DOW if none of the Axis have DOW’d them yet (or Japan attacks UK/ANZ)

But if ANZAC/UK gets warred on my Japan prior to Turn 3, the USA can DOW the rest of the Axis?

Right, as long as it wasn’t unprovoked (If ANZAC/UK DOW’s Japan first, then USA can be kept out until end of turn 3)

Also - does attacking FIC also allow USA to DOW the rest of the Axis if it is prior to their Turn 3?

NO.  It only ends Japan’s 10 IPC NO.  It is French, so does not require a DOW on UK/ANZ UNLESS UK/ANZ has a unit in FIC which would require a DOW on UK/ANZ.  But when FIC is empty, Japan can take it and USA can’t enter the war just because of that because it didn’t require a DOW on UK/ANZ

• PanzerPenguin and Gamerman, Japan’s enemies defending on a one on Turn1 is from the original 2000 version of Pacific.

• Ah okay - I was reading the Europe and Pacific rules to get Global rules (I believe each rulebook - the PDF online ones - has a section at the end called 'Additional Rules for Global). I don’t think it says to ignore any rules, like the J1 attack with its enemies defending only on 1’s. So, for all intents and purposes in Global, all attack/defense is normal.

I read peoples strategies or posts and they mention how ‘easy’ it is to destroy the Russian Troops on Turn 1 of Japan (especially if they move them all into same province). With the ‘defender defends on a ‘one’ during Japans first turn’ I can understand that…otherwise it looks like Japan would be outnumbered by the Russian Defenders - am I missing something here?

• No you’re not missing anything - but it’s still probably not a good idea to stack all Russians together

There is nothing in the Europe or Pacific rulebook about units all defending on a 1 - from what Wittman said, it sounds like you had a Pacific rulebook from an earlier Axis and Allies game that is not G40 at all.  It was the Pacific game developed in the year 2000 from what it sounds like  :-)

• '19 '17 '16

@PanzerPenguin:

I read peoples strategies or posts and they mention how ‘easy’ it is to destroy the Russian Troops on Turn 1 of Japan (especially if they move them all into same province).

Japan has 12 ground units between Manchuria and Korea IIRC and can bring in 6 more with an amphibious assault. With most attacking on a one vs 20 units, that requires planes to support the attack but that can easily be done.

• plus bombardment!
    But it will distract them a bit from the south….

• Now that I am home and looking at the board, I have another question.

Gibraltar straddles two sea zones (91 and 92). It is defended by a fighter. If the Italians Amphib- Assault it, since there is no airbase, the fighter can not Scramble, correct? It would go to landcombat, Inf + Art (Italians) vs 1 UK Fighter, plus any shore bombardment by Italian ships.

The Seaport of Gibraltar seems to be in Sea Zone 91. Is there one in #92 as well, given how small Gibraltar is? Or is it like Cairo, extending the Naval Base into both #98 and #81.

Since there is no airbase in Malta, can the UK fighter in Malta scramble? Or does there need to be a physical airbase in order to do so?

Also, can submarines move through a hostile Strait like Denmark or Gibraltar?

• @PanzerPenguin:

Now that I am home and looking at the board, I have another question.

Gibraltar straddles two sea zones (91 and 92). It is defended by a fighter. If the Italians Amphib- Assault it, since there is no airbase, the fighter can not Scramble, correct?

Correct

It would go to landcombat, Inf + Art (Italians) vs 1 UK Fighter, plus any shore bombardment by Italian ships.

That’s right

The Seaport of Gibraltar seems to be in Sea Zone 91. Is there one in #92 as well, given how small Gibraltar is? Or is it like Cairo, extending the Naval Base into both #98 and #81.

There are no special cases for this - it is like Cairo or London or Normandy - one naval base services two different zones.  There is no limit to the number of zones

Since there is no airbase in Malta, can the UK fighter in Malta scramble?

You’re right, it can’t scramble because there is no airbase

Or does there need to be a physical airbase in order to do so?

always, yes

Also, can submarines move through a hostile Strait like Denmark or Gibraltar?

Gibraltar is the only canal or strait on the board where submarines can go through a hostile.  Do you have a rulebook?  I can provide links to free ones online if you don’t

• No rule book, but am looking at ones online. Not quite sure where I found that rule about Japans first turn offensive.

Rules seem simple on paper, but when put them into effect…

For instance, as Japan, if I attack Amur from the land but also from an Amphibious Assault, do the shore bombardment rules take affect if I have the correct ships in position? If they hit, like the Sub Surprise Attack, the defenders hit get immediately eliminated, and then the ground combat, combing both land-attacking and amphib-troops would commence?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m