Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• @Gamerman01:

@Babubaer:

I have seen it in TripleA, so the question is in Alpha 3+

Can UK in NCM move a transport with only a AAgun to sz 86 than unload the transport to activate Brazil with only a AAgun?

No.  Lone AA guns are not sufficient to take control of a territory.  It must be infantry, artillery, mech, or tank.

I disagree. Where in the rulebook is this mentioned?  This is a quote from the Europe 1940 2e rulebook (bolding by me):

@Europe:

Friendly neutrals may not be attacked, and air units may not fly over them. They can be moved into (but not through) as a noncombat move by land units of a power that is at war (see Noncombat Move,” page 22).

AAA are land units. These rules and the AAA rules do not disallow AAA from doing this.

• @Krieghund:

It’s not friendly - it’s a friendly neutral.  There is a difference, in that it is still neutral.  A friendly territory is one that is controlled by you or another member of your alliance.  A friendly neutral does not meet that requirement.

There is a procedure for converting a friendly neutral territory into a friendly territory, which involves moving a land unit with an attack value into it.  Until then, no other unit may be moved into it, as it is still neutral (though friendly neutral).

You may be right that it isn’t clear in the rulebook, but you’re still oh so wrong!  Krieghund is the rulebook, and this is what he has told us.

AA cannot activate a friendly neutral by itself.

• Official Q&A

AAE40 2nd Edition Rulebook, page 28:

Only infantry, artillery, mechanized infantry, and tanks can capture hostile territories or convert friendly neutrals.

• Sure enough!

Very easy to miss that one spot, though…

P-Unit has a good point that you should be able to read about that under “friendly neutrals” or under the details for “AAA guns”  :-)

But it is in there!  Read all 41 pages and memorize every word of them!  :wink:

• Speaking of no combat values, I remember you answered my question that you can’t “attack” with transports only, because there is no attack value.

So this also means that an “attack” with all aircraft carriers and/or transports is illegal, correct?
    This would rule out a tactic of moving units strategically (up to 4 spaces and to the other side of enemy naval units) using retreats.  If there is no combat value, you are guaranteed that you won’t accidentally win, like when attacking a single unit.

Anyway, it’s illegal to attack with only carriers and/or transports, right?

• '12

@Gamerman01:

Speaking of no combat values, I remember you answered my question that you can’t “attack” with transports only, because there is no attack value.

So this also means that an “attack” with all aircraft carriers and/or transports is illegal, correct?
    This would rule out a tactic of moving units strategically (up to 4 spaces and to the other side of enemy naval units) using retreats.  If there is no combat value, you are guaranteed that you won’t accidentally win, like when attacking a single unit.

are you allowed to send units with no attack value (acc, trn) into attacks in order to retreat them with the rest of the fleet?  i could see a rationale for the acc since they can take hits, but the transports?

• '12

@Boldfresh:

@Gamerman01:

Speaking of no combat values, I remember you answered my question that you can’t “attack” with transports only, because there is no attack value.

are you allowed to send units with no attack value (acc, trn) into attacks in order to retreat them with the rest of the fleet?  i could see a rationale for the acc since they can take hits, but the transports?

not the best wording, but i’m saying if you were sending some units from one zone west of the attack zone and one zone east of the attack zone, for example, in order to retreat together to one zone.

• Um, yeah, I asked Krieghund about it awhile back when it came up in a game I was in.  I was trying to get an ANZAC transport from like Z57 back to Z54 by “attacking” a Japanese destroyer in 55 and then retreating to 54.  I would have sent a transport from 54 or 62 as well.

Now I see what you’re meaning….

Yes, you can send transports and carriers into battle with the rest of the fleet in order to retreat them.

You just can’t send them alone.  I’m trying to ask him if it’s the same for carriers too.

• TripleA

sub destroyer…. vs  sub destroyer…

Do attacker and defender subs always roll first? Makes sense to me because subs can only hit naval. However if the defender sub hits the attacker has to figure out what he wants to lose, he would still roll it to attack but he has to figure out what he loses before the rest of the dice gets rolled.

What is the official ruling kreig?

• @Cow:

sub destroyer…. vs  sub destroyer…

Do attacker and defender subs always roll first? Makes sense to me because subs can only hit naval. However if the defender sub hits the attacker has to figure out what he wants to lose, he would still roll it to attack but he has to figure out what he loses before the rest of the dice gets rolled.

What is the official ruling kreig?

A sub and destroyer against a sub and a destroyer:

Neither sub has surprise strike capability because of opposing destroyers present.

General Combat Sequence
    1. Place units along the battle strip
    2. Submarine surprise strike or submerge
    3. Attacking units fire (and defender must choose casualties)
    4. Defending units fire (attacker chooses casualties and removes them)
    5. Remove defender’s casualties
    6. Press attack or retreat
    7. Conclude combat

This is straight from the rulebook.  Obviously since the subs do not have surprise strike or submerge capabilities, you would skip step 2.
    So the answer to your question is NO the subs do not always roll first.

Triple A does this dead wrong.  Is that why you’re wondering?  The attacker should NEVER have to choose casualties before seeing his own attack roll when he has destroyers present to nullify the defending subs’ surprise strikes.

You might have to roll out such battles using the forum dice roller and use edit mode to force the correct results in TripleA.

I had that happen to me in a recent G1.  Destroyer, cruiser, bomber vs. 2 subs.  Triple A makes you choose casualties before you see how many hits you score.  This is wrong.  The attacker does not choose casualties until step 4, and gets to see his attack roll in step 3.

• TripleA

How much structural damage can each building hold up to? airfield, naval, minor, and major?

• Hi Cow. Major can take 20, the others 6. Any more than that makes no difference. (Anything above those figures is wasted, as they cannot be allocated.)

• Official Q&A

@Gamerman01:

Yes, you can send transports and carriers into battle with the rest of the fleet in order to retreat them.

You just can’t send them alone.  I’m trying to ask him if it’s the same for carriers too.

Yes, it’s the same for carriers.  You must have at least one unit with an attack value in order to attack.

• TripleA

Do bombers do 1d6 structural damage or 1d6 +1 or 1d6 +2? I have not kept up with the times!

• D6+2 for Strategic Bombers, just D6 for Tacs.
    Tacs cannot attack factories, only Bases.

• Can i now repair a Battleship from an ally on my harbour?
    So can an US harbour repair an UK Battleship ?

I´m pretty sure in one Alpha Version it was not possible.

• @Babubaer:

Can i now repair a Battleship from an ally on my harbour?
    So can an US harbour repair an UK Battleship ?

I´m pretty sure in one Alpha Version it was not possible.

Yes, it’s always been that way, since OOB.
    The repair takes place on the ship owner’s turn in the purchase units phase.

• TripleA

Does USA get to go to war when Germany conquers London?

• @Cow:

Does USA get to go to war when Germany conquers London?

Yes.  As does Russia.

USA can also go to war if any Axis power takes any territory in North America.

• @Krieghund:

AAE40 2nd Edition Rulebook, page 28:

Only infantry, artillery, mechanized infantry, and tanks can capture hostile territories or convert friendly neutrals.

Thanks. I wasn’t aware of that.  : :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m