• 2007 AAR League

@Krieghund:

@Emperor:

Well I’ll be….there it is…now don’t I look foolish.  I would say though that it really is in an obscure location and seems to contradict Section 7. Page 20 end of 1st paragraph “…Any damage previously inflicted on a facility remains in place until it is repaired.”

This is a case of a Global rule (page 36) overriding a Europe/Pacific rule (page 20).

Gotcha…Thanks!

• @Emperor:

BTW…I have you beat 3-to-1.  I’ve played 231 games (actual number as well) to your 75. :-D

:-) I got to thinking about that after I wrote it.  This is the 1940 thread, and those 75 are all on-line AA50.  A lot of rules questions here are the same as AA50 rules (bombardment, etc), but it’s not 75 1940 games.  :lol:

I did play maybe 70 games of Revised on GTO, and played quite a few F2F Classic games, too….
    But as much as I understand the ruleset for AA50, Spring 42, and 1940, I could never go back to Revised or classic because so many of the rules are so different I would get really confused.
    At least between AA50 and 1940 we don’t have much of the same units doing different things (like transports in Revised are totally different than transports in AA50 or 1940).

• '10

Sorry to ask this very basic question, but i don’t have the rulebook and i suddenly have doubts about that : If Germany and Italy haven’t DOW Russia, can RUSSIA DOW Germany at the beginning of turn 4 ? And so they can make CM against Germany on turn 4 ? Or do Russia has to DOW Germany at the collect income phase of Turn 4 (as for US on turn 3) ?

• @Axisplaya:

Sorry to ask this very basic question, but i don’t have the rulebook and i suddenly have doubts about that : If Germany and Italy haven’t DOW Russia, can RUSSIA DOW Germany at the beginning of turn 4 ? And so they can make CM against Germany on turn 4 ? Or do Russia has to DOW Germany at the collect income phase of Turn 4 (as for US on turn 3) ?

They can declare war at the beginning of the combat move phase of their 4th turn.

Colllect income phase of US3 is the ONLY exception to the timing of declarations.  All other DOWs must occur at the beginning of the combat phase.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Emperor:

@Krieghund:

@Emperor:

Well I’ll be….there it is…now don’t I look foolish.  I would say though that it really is in an obscure location and seems to contradict Section 7. Page 20 end of 1st paragraph “…Any damage previously inflicted on a facility remains in place until it is repaired.”

This is a case of a Global rule (page 36) overriding a Europe/Pacific rule (page 20).

Gotcha…Thanks!

It is also a logical deduction (not that all the rules are logical, mind you, hence the “I think…” being contradicted by the illogical rules manual.  Yes, I declare my thoughts are the logical ones and if the manuals contradict my opinions then they must be, by this reasoning, be illogical.  And no, I dont care if it makes me look petulant. :P  That said, rules are rules…) since one cannot do 20 IPC worth of damage to a minor complex, then the damage on the complex can only be 6 or less if it is a minor one, even if it was a major previously.

That said, I really wish you could upgrade complexes on enemy capitols.  After all, once you get the capitol, you’re pretty much established anyway, doubly so if you are trying to upgrade it back to a major complex, no?

• Agreed  How much money does the conquering country want to dump into the new facilities to bring it up to their production goals

@suprise:

Agreed  How much money does the conquering country want to dump into the new facilities to bring it up to their production goals

Presumably, one would only upgrade the complex on an enemy capitol if one was sure they would hold it. (Note that I am saying when YOU are sure you will hold it, not necessarily when it is impoosible for the enemy to reclaim the complex at any point after you upgrade it before the end of the game, mind you.)

• you cant even upgrade a minor on someone elses original tt, I THINK, let me check the rules real quick

• straight from alpha 2:  "2. Major industrial complexes can only be built on originally controlled territories (this includes upgrading minor ones). Likewise they may no longer be upgraded when captured. Major industrial complexes are reduced to minor when captured. The original owner of the territory may upgrade it if the territory is recaptured. "

@thatonekid:

straight from alpha 2:  "2. Major industrial complexes can only be built on originally controlled territories (this includes upgrading minor ones). Likewise they may no longer be upgraded when captured. Major industrial complexes are reduced to minor when captured. The original owner of the territory may upgrade it if the territory is recaptured. "

Yes, I know.  I am saying Larry should change it so that you can upgrade a complex on a foriegn capitol, if only to end the game faster.

• If Russia and Japan are still neutral, can other Allied powers still have their units enter Russian territory on the Pacific side of the map ?

• Official Q&A

No.

• @Cmdr:

@thatonekid:

straight from alpha 2:  "2. Major industrial complexes can only be built on originally controlled territories (this includes upgrading minor ones). Likewise they may no longer be upgraded when captured. Major industrial complexes are reduced to minor when captured. The original owner of the territory may upgrade it if the territory is recaptured. "

Yes, I know.  I am saying Larry should change it so that you can upgrade a complex on a foriegn capitol, if only to end the game faster.

So we should bend the rules to help the side winning when it’s doing really good?

• '10

i have a dd (Japan) in sz 22, and no units in Marianas.

US send 1ss, 1tr loaded and some planes in sz22 to take marianas.

Can i use kamikazes and if yes, against what units ?

• This thread will become a proper FAQ thread, which in time the most common questions and answers will be posted in a quick start format. Individual questions will be answered in a new thread, while rules debate must enter a separate thread entry.

• Thanks IL, glad to see someone taking a bit of time to clean up this resource.

• Official Q&A

@Axisplaya:

i have a dd (Japan) in sz 22, and no units in Marianas.

US send 1ss, 1tr loaded and some planes in sz22 to take marianas.

Can i use kamikazes and if yes, against what units ?

Kamikaze may not be used, as there are no US surface warships to strike with them.

@Ruanek:

@Cmdr:

@thatonekid:

So we should bend the rules to help the side winning when it’s doing really good?

Not bend, change, and yes so that games will be ended faster…

• i wouldnt go so far as doing that, but if you want to, you can housrule it like that…

• @thatonekid:

i wouldnt go so far as doing that, but if you want to, you can housrule it like that…

?  Your confusion 1Kid is confusing the rest of us.  She is talking about changing the rule to the game in the rulebook to help achieve balance.  The rules for all of us, not a house rule.

Now I also think this is not needed, if fact I like the option of coming back from a loss, whereas this change would just exacerbate the losing sides problems.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m