My review copy of Axis & Allies Europe 1940 has arrived

• The french inf unit does look great, but I am likewise dissapointed with the use of Russian units for the French.  Of course, you will probably never see a French T-34 after the second round so who cares.  As for the Italians they had a chance to make sculpts just for them but instead went for Germans with a paint job, and even the infantry looks like German just in a new position.

Ah well, FMG’s Italian pieces will be out before you know it and these “finto Italianos” can be shelved for something else…perhaps Axis Minors like (Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Finland)?? for house rules.  From the looks of it though we will be stuck with the Russian/French units for some time to come since I’m sure they are at the lower end of the list for FMG to replace.

Anyway, I cant wait to get my copy and start playing!!!

• Danger,

Table Tactics is releasing French pieces (3 tanks!) matching A&A scale & color (unlike his other sets). You will be very happy I think :-)

• @Stickman:

Wow, those French units look great!

I love the French battleship  :-P

• It is the Russian battleship from 1942.

• Well mixed results.

Italy uses a stuka and France borrows everything from other allies except its infantry.

• I think the T-34 is ok, like most people have said, you wont see any much past round 2 or so. The French did have a tank in 1939 called the somua S-39 (or 35) that did kind of look like the T-34, so it dosnt bother me too much. I am more disapointed with the Italian sculpts, they already had their own sculpts from AA50, I dont fully understand why they couldnt just reuse them

• It was stated by Larry in the original announcement about the Italian sculpts that there were “production problems” with the Italian sculpts from AA50.  Basically, they were either lost or thrown out after AA50, or they decided they couldn’t use them since the new sculpts they were using (ala Spring 1942) were bigger.  This then meant that WOTC didn’t want to invest the money in recreating the Italian sculpts (ditto for the French sculpts), so they just duplicated the German sculpts in brown (and the Russian in blue).  Larry was disappointed as well. :-(

• Keep in mind the only unique Italian sculpt was the tank. All others were German in AA50 as well.

• @reloader-1:

Keep in mind the only unique Italian sculpt was the tank. All others were German in AA50 as well.

Other than the Italian infantry and tanks, the Italian pieces were a mixture of German and Japanese sculpts.  If I recall correctly, the naval pieces were all German, the artillery pieces were Japanese, and the planes were half and half.

• @CWO:

@reloader-1:

Keep in mind the only unique Italian sculpt was the tank. All others were German in AA50 as well.

Other than the Italian infantry and tanks, the Italian pieces were a mixture of German and Japanese sculpts.  If I recall correctly, the naval pieces were all German, the artillery pieces were Japanese, and the planes were half and half.

Exactly - They used the Japanese Bomber and Artillery, German everything else.

• makes me remember the good old days when the first A&A Europe was released, with 24 new and uniqe sculpts.

• @Razor:

makes me remember the good old days when the first A&A Europe was released, with 24 new and uniqe sculpts.

Though keep in mind that there were shared pieces of equipment in that game, like the American destroyer, submarine, transport and artillery piece, which the British and the Russians used too.

• Also keep in mind that the sculpts in 1942/1940 are brand new - they may be the same tanks/planes etc but they are completely new (compare tanks and other models to AAE/AAP models.)

• The quality of the sculpts looks good too, and that is all I really care about.

• has any one com,pared the size of an old aa bb to a new bb? the diffrence in size and detail and qulity is amazing!

• I wonder how many of these new pieces are in the set?

Is it a situation yet again where say Germany has only 6 tactical bombers or 6 Mech?

As for France, once they get liberated, they can build forces so it is important that the sculpts are ‘French’

Also, i would use them for neutrals so as not to confuse the units from other powers pieces. Under house rules some of these neutrals need something more than infantry and having unique pieces is a plus.

• Customizer

Ironic that the French pieces are wearing trenchcoats, since the only ones who’ll survive the early rounds will be based in Africa…

Still, they’ll do nicely for WWI French inf when the time comes.

• Yes perhaps that was the intention. When i see a French soldier it seems that greatcoat and the unique helmet are the iconic uniform of French infantry 1940.

Thats what they were after.

You can make the same case for UK 8th army infantry wearing shorts in Normandy, but that too is iconic uniform that were remember best in.

• @SAS:

The French units are rocking the sweet trenchcoats. :mrgreen:

http://www.axisandallies.org/node/433

Damn those are awesome, but why French, why? Well actually it suits them the best.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I didn’t have time to photograph the global map so I used some photos of the game I took the other night and did a post about the rules. Krieghund will need to proofread it for mistakes before it is “official.” Thanks in advance, Krieghund.

http://www.axisandallies.org/node/438

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m