Allied Playbook - G40 Collection of Essays - Compiled by jacobgeo24 Nov 18-19 2023

• @SuperbattleshipYamato said in Allied Playbook - G40 Collection of Essays - Compiled by jacobgeo24 Nov 18-19 2023:

@GovZ

Apologies for my ignorance, but what do “BM” and “COW” stand for? Thank you!

No worries, it’s my fault for using abbreviations.

COW - Author of the standard J1 opening. His Japanese playbook is pinned for details.

BM - BM3/4 is a popular house rule version that I’m not fond of.

• @GovZ

Ah, Cow! Sorry, when I see words in all caps I assume it’s an abbreviation, not a name. Thank you!

• @GovZ by the time you get your mass of bombers, Japan already has the islands so isn´t in that a big need of transports.
    One central hub like the Philippines with its carriers etc and one tpt is enough to defend.

• Hey all! I began making the allied playbook for me, for my axis and allies games, but then I realized what a great thing this could be on the forum. I posted this hoping to spur discussion on allied strategy again and I must say I am so happy with where this has gone. We have had so many great discussions, we have learned a lot, and I am looking forward to applying this in game.

I finally will be able to implement these things in game as the tournament I have talked about, which was postponed from the 8th, has been rescheduled to the 15th-16th. I am so excited for this. My friend and I will be taking the allies, I will be overseeing the US, ANZAC, China, and UK Pacific, my friend will be overseeing Russia, UK Europe, and France (for the memes) as per his request.

I trying to convince my friend to do the Russian infantry builds which were suggested by @AndrewAAGamer in his post earlier, given that Germany behaves and doesn’t do any Navy/Airforce only builds gearing up for a sealion, but he is adamant that creating an armored core early on for Russia is the way to go. I think my convincing helped him, but I’m not going to stop him, otherwise we won’t have a good time!

For UK Europe, we are going to take out Italy early and render them useless. His strategy for this is evacuating the Med Sea and preserving resources instead of attacking Taranto and Malta sea zone, where once united with boats from England and Pacific, will reenter and blow the Italians away. Not sure if this will work, but we shall see. I’ve tried to convince him to do a Taranto or some sort of rendition of Gibastion, but he will try out his strategy and we shall see! The US will also aid the UK in the Atlantic, but it may not be it’s main focus.

With our joint fleet to be positioned in 91 with attempts to reach Italy, Norway, and Normandy once we build up enough. US will send some resources to Europe, but I plan on doing a Pacific Operation since I am basically commanding the Pacific.

Goal will be to get to the Carolines with a join US-ANZAC fleet and troops, there we will threaten basically anywhere in the Japanese Empire. Not sure if our opponents that we will be doing a J1 though. China will be engaging in a tactical defensive war, while the UK Pacific will be mostly defensive as well unless an opportunity springs up.

That’s basically it, as you can tell, we are clearly not the best at the game as evident by our strategies, but I am really excited to play the game!

Feel free to add any suggestions/modification ideas for our Allied Strategy in a reply below! We will gladly take any suggestions!

I am so glad where this forum post and PDF has gone, I hope it will help you as much as it will hopefully help me!

-jacobgeo24

• @jacobgeo24

I’m really happy that this thread has worked out for you.

Your plans sounds good. I look forward to results!

Though maybe you shouldn’t post your entire game plan publicly, where your opponents can see it and develop a counter to it?

• @SuperbattleshipYamato Eh they aren’t on the website anyways, but we take it casually anyways, I wouldn’t care if they saw it, it’s just a general plan. But thanks for the feedback!

• @jacobgeo24 said in Allied Playbook - G40 Collection of Essays - Compiled by jacobgeo24 Nov 18-19 2023:

I agree 100% that you have to let the final decision lie with the person running the Power. A partner can make suggestions but arguing about strategy is a good way to remove the fun from the game. However, I will say the strategy as laid out has some major flaws.

I trying to convince my friend to do the Russian infantry builds which were suggested by @AndrewAAGamer in his post earlier, given that Germany behaves and doesn’t do any Navy/Airforce only builds gearing up for a sealion, but he is adamant that creating an armored core early on for Russia is the way to go. I think my convincing helped him, but I’m not going to stop him, otherwise we won’t have a good time!

Whenever I see my Russian opponent build armor early on it makes me do the happy dance. Armor is only useful if Germany is not going all out for Russia. So until you see that your opponent is not going after Moscow you have to assume they are. 2 infantry defend significantly better than 1 tank. Now, I do not know how competent your opponents are. A competent German player is going to move against Moscow as a single large stack, north or south, which makes Russian armor useless. If they come in piecemeal or two smaller armies it could prove useful. I always provide advice assuming my opponent is going to play correctly.

For UK Europe, we are going to take out Italy early and render them useless. His strategy for this is evacuating the Med Sea and preserving resources instead of attacking Taranto and Malta sea zone, where once united with boats from England and Pacific, will reenter and blow the Italians away. Not sure if this will work, but we shall see. I’ve tried to convince him to do a Taranto or some sort of rendition of Gibastion, but he will try out his strategy and we shall see! The US will also aid the UK in the Atlantic, but it may not be it’s main focus.

I fail to see how “take out Italy early and render them useless” goes hand in hand with “evacuating the Med Sea and preserving resources instead of attacking Taranto and Malta sea zone”. The easiest way to lose is for Italy to get big moneywise and abandoning the Med to the Italians is a sure fire way to lose. Since you say he is planning on not attacking ANY UK fleets then the only way to preserve his SZ98 fleet is to exit the Med via the Suez Canal into the Red Sea. If he does that Italy will take Trans-Jordon and the UK fleet will never be able to renter. With a full Italian fleet remaining with 3 transports and collecting close to $20 a Turn Egypt will be in peril and UK will be doing all they can to hold Egypt and will not be able to threaten the Italian fleet at all.

With our joint fleet to be positioned in 91 with attempts to reach Italy, Norway, and Normandy once we build up enough. US will send some resources to Europe, but I plan on doing a Pacific Operation since I am basically commanding the Pacific.

What joint forces? Half the remaining UK fleet will be in the Indian Ocean. Half will be off 91, at least that portion that survives the G1 attack, and unable to enter the Med as the Italian fleet will be bigger.

Goal will be to get to the Carolines with a join US-ANZAC fleet and troops, there we will threaten basically anywhere in the Japanese Empire. Not sure if our opponents that we will be doing a J1 though. China will be engaging in a tactical defensive war, while the UK Pacific will be mostly defensive as well unless an opportunity springs up.

Sounds reasonable.

Good luck and have fun!

• @jacobgeo24

With not only an opponent and dice to manage but also a partner keen for kickstarting Italy and Russian armor it may be both fun and advisable if you suggest to bring them against Japan and have USA take more effort to support UK and Russia? Consider something fancy that can win once as general strategies discussed here mostly apply on 1v1-matches when you can make all Powers fit in? Play it bold, have fun - don’t rely on dice

• @AndrewAAGamer I agree that I shouldn’t micro manage the person playing the powers, like you said it doesn’t make for a fun game. Yes my friends Russia and UK strategy is very different and unusual, perhaps not the way to go, but my convincing hasn’t proved helpful so I’m going to see how it goes as he insists upon it. I have told him about Trans-Jordan but he doesn’t seem to be too concerned. He is basically managing the European theater in this war so I’m going to let him take the reins for it but if the US needs more involvement, I’ll have to help. He is less experienced than me so I am going to let him play and learn.

We are not sure of the skill level of our opponents, I haven’t play against them when they were the axis before so we are not sure how they will go about things. My partners plan was to reenter the Med somehow, not sure how, but then join with forces from the US and UK in 91 once Italian navy is taken care of. But now that I see what you have told me, we should probably change this around, I’ll try more convincing.

He trusts me as a teammate since I have never lost a G40 game before as Axis or Allies (Maybe that says something more about my opponents, but I digress, I wish there were more players in the area), and I hope that I can convince him to these suggestions.

Thank you for the suggestions and feedback! I will be hopefully making a game summary and hopefully with pictures to post as the game goes along and once it is finished.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

My friends who play are around the Hartford area. Joe and Todd.

• @crockett36 Oh that’s great, I haven’t seen to many people in CT who play Axis and Allies besides my local area, nice to know that there are other folks playing the game!

• @jacobgeo24

You’re welcome!

• @jacobgeo24

Looking forward to it!

• Hello everyone! We just finished our first game of the tournament, with me and a friend taking the Allies vs the Axis. We finished up to the beginning of Round 4 when our opponent threw in the towel when the situation was becoming hopeless which I know is not typically a long game, but we got a bit distracted at times, we took longer than we needed to on our turns, and got sidetracked with debating about politics, not something most high schoolers do lol! And we had to watch Diehard. But I had a really great time and I feel like we learned so much about the game and what to do. Now I will give a round by round summary of how it went. Side note, our opponent had never played alone as the Axis, he lost a bet and that is why he was playing the Axis, he is a much better allied player.

Round 1 - Germany went land heavy on round 1, purchasing all tanks. The battle into Paris went extremely well, the dice seemed to be very angry with the allies and Germany escaped losing only 4 infantries without even sending a maximum number of forces to Paris. The British Navies in 110 and 111 were not attacked Southern France was taken. However, his U Boats had tremendous success in the Atlantic sinking boats. Other than that, Germany moved a bunch of stuff East along the Russian border and activating Bulgaria. Russia, as per my friends planning and against my wishes, purchased 6 tanks and consolidated in Western Ukraine and Novgorod, while putting its mechanized forces of tanks and mechs in Smolensk (I argued for Bryansk which I though was a better option for positioning, but I digress). The 18 troops in the east consolidated in Buryatia. Japan didn’t do a J1, rather pushing into China with a costly attack in Yunnan. They built masses of infantry for the home islands because they feared a KJF which crushed Japan in one of our recent games. The US didn’t do much, mainly just building ships to get a navy going. China reopened Burma Road and built in Yunnan, going for a southern defense strategy. UK with its navy consolidated in 109 due to Luftwaffe presence, made a defensive posture in Egypt, sent the Indian troops to Burma, and built a factory in Cairo. They evacuated the Med and got reinforcements from Indian Ocean Navy. Italy spread its navy to get the bonus which they got, through costly battles, they also shipped stuffed to Africa. ANZAC picked up Java and built transport and inf to get DNG next. France didn’t do much, just moved its naval assets.

• Round 2 - Germany remained neutral with USSR. Mainly engaged in non conbat moves. They had a new strategy which I had never seen before, creating an early Atlantic Wall with planes, infantry, mechs, tanks, and arty which survived in Western Europe. They moved more to the east and went tank heavy again. USSR bought all infantry and continued its defensive buildup, moved the 6 tanks to Smolensk for the “armored reserve.” Japan continued to war with China, stripped all of its planes off carriers and used them in land wars. They bought factories in China. US just built up and bought all in Atlantic. Built up modest fleet and transports to support Britain in Atlantic. China stacked in Yunnan again. UK reentered med to destroy Italian ships, (Transjordan wasn’t taken) and activated Greece. Also attacked Iraq with Persian forces. Continued to stack in Burma, including men from Malaya. Italy reeled from loss of Navy, bought destroyers and attacked Britian with remaining Navy (mostly taranto ships and planes). Both lost all things in the battle in SZ 98. ANZAC grabbed DNG and Sumatra with transports. French just watched.

• @jacobgeo24 Nice !

Glad you guys had a Fun Game ! Learning it new, is so much Fun !

Some paragraph breaks will make for easier reading of your future Game Reports. :)

Let us know how the next one goes :)

• Round 3 - Germany attacks USSR. Actually Germany had great success in the USSR, and assaulted all 3 border territories and had good reserves to back it up. Things are looking ok for Germany. However, continued to build up Atlantic wall and buy all tanks. The resources on Atlantic wall may have been needed in Russia. Russia launched counteroffensive in Baltic states, a miscalculation by the Commies, as it depleted their armored contingent, easy Germany sweep round 4. Bought all infantry. Things not looking so good for Japan this time around. They engaged in war with China again, pushing deep in the north and center, but stopped at Yunnan in the south. They were beginning to produce in factories, but was still not enough to compensate for Japan’s abysmal performance, especially navally. Russians moved back to Amur to cause a huge headache for Japan. US continued to build up, specifically in Pacific. US declares war on Axis. China builds up in Yunnan. UK and Anzac declare war on Japan, UK moves giant stack into Yunnan which was terrible for Japan. UK activates Yugoslavia and walks into Bulgaria. Still standoff in North Africa, Alexandria is a dead zone. UK Navy from SZ 110 and 111 arrives in Gibraltar to end Italy after disposing of U Boats in Round 2. Factory in Egypt produces tanks. Italy uses remaining transports and ground troops in Norther Italy and Albania to wipe of Yugoslavia and Bulgaria. Battles prove to be costly for Italy, but they collect a bit of cash. ANZAC moves to Celebes, and declares war on Japan to collect bonus. France does nothing besides play with their cruiser.

• @barnee I will let you all know how the next one goes, and sorry about lack of paragraph breaks, I am just throwing this together right now and it is past midnight lol. I am not functioning very well, Axis and Allies is mentally taxing, but fun!

• @jacobgeo24 no worries brother :)

Rock On

Rock On !!!.png

• Round 4 - German army group north launches devastating counterattack into Baltic Startes with minimal casualties. Bolsters E poland and Bessarabia. Atlantic wall continues to be built and all tank purchases. Novgorod is under serious threat. Russia builds all infantry and reels from their defeat. They abandon Novgorod and advance to Finland. They consolidate a huge force in Ukraine and prepare for defensive war near Moscow. The stack in Amur invades Korea. Japan now at war with all of the Western allies, struggles to capitalize. They invade China, but Yunnan is untouchable. They invade Borneo and Kwangtung, Shan state and French Indo, but that is all. Their navy was not up to the task, especially since the carriers were stripped of their planes. US invaded Carolines and moved to 91, invests in Pacific to crush Japan. China holds in Yunnan. UK enters Alexandria to prepare for clash with Italians. Begins to send aid to USSR via Egypt and Persian factory built in turn 2. Reinforces Yunnan but collects considerably less. Italy abandons Africa, and builds defenses for Rome and the soft underbelly. ANZAC joins US in Carolines and collects insane amounts of money. France does nothing.

It was at this point, with the dire state of Japan and Italy, our opponents surrender. They had said that the knew they weren’t going to win, but wanted to see how long they would hold out. And to be honest, Germany was actually doing very well. It was impressive play for a new time Axis player. We all learned many things about the game and may play one tomorrow, well actually today since its 12:30 AM, where I’ll be Axis vs my friends who will be allies. They hope to beat me for the first time.

I had such a great time, I learned so much, and I have to say that all of the feedback from great people on this site and in the thread, along with the guys on YouTube have helped a lot. Thank you all!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m