League General Discussion Thread

• 2023 '22

@simon33 Fig in Scotland probably not used since it costs 10IPC, a sub only 6IPC.

• '19 '17 '16

@pejon_88 said in League General Discussion Thread:

@simon33 Fig in Scotland probably not used since it costs 10IPC, a sub only 6IPC.

I think a better bang for buck though.

• In that specific sea zone, yes, but consider 10 IPC for a fig or 12 IPC for 2 sub (i e z106/111).

• The sub may submerge, so z111 is a great spot since Germany lacks des.

• '19 '17 '16

I would rather have the Scottish fighter than 2 subs. Makes it hard to attack both fleets as Germany.

• 2023 '22

@simon33 I wold prefer art + sub most situations

• '19 '17 '16

@trulpen said in League General Discussion Thread:

The sub may submerge, so z111 is a great spot since Germany lacks des.

I almost always buy a DD G1. So this sub is effectively guaranteed to be in range of an attacker, since it isn’t worth a DD to save a sub. I guess it does mean you probably need to buy another DD to kill the USSR sub though. If the BB is sent to SZ111 G1, while the sub can fight then submerge, in the first round a lucky hit just goes on the BB anyway.

I do see some merit in it though. Just less of a priority than the Med for my money.

Germany will probably do this to the 106+111 subs:
    99ab2d0d-46df-4e52-a046-844777897481-image.png
    Which makes the UK options to scramble 111 definitely, sub fights 106 and I reckon also scramble 110. The German tac can also be added to 110 though which reduces the UK benefit from the scramble significantly.

• Oh, would advise against that setup, since it very much weakens the attack on z110. Germany is almost bound to lose a lot of luftwaffe there with a weak attack.

If the sub happens to hit in z111, which you really can’t count on, then great, more possible damage since it allows other hits to be dispersed where they’re felt.

I also prefer to attack z106 with only 2 subs as Germany as it is sufficient power to more likely take that fleet out and also doesn’t expend yet another sub that can’t go elsewhere. As you point out the eventual surviving sub/s are truly toast during UKs turn, so feels slightly wasteful for what you get.

• '19 '17 '16

@trulpen said in League General Discussion Thread:

Oh, would advise against that setup, since it very much weakens the attack on z110. Germany is almost bound to lose a lot of luftwaffe there with a weak attack.

Even if you add 1 more tac to SZ110, still against? I think I would still scramble to that attack though.

• It’s still slightly weak. I like the strafe of z111, soaking a hit with Bismarck. Then there’s only 2 subs in z110 though and you need atleast 3 fig, 3 tac, 2 sb in order to dissuade a scramble. Since the air can’t hit the subs there should really just be a wash-out in case UK does scramble anyway.

• '19 '17 '16

You might be right, although skipping the SZ111 attack is also a bit weak. I guess you can still send the second bomber to SZ110 and just live with the scramble.You might get good rolls, maybe bad but better to chance it than making the SZ124 sub sit on the bench and then be destroyed.

• The sb won’t matter for a scramble in z111, if that was a point. It’s obvious Germany just wants to strafe there anyway, so it’s prefectly safe to scramble the fig. Getting stuck with the bs in z111 is very bad. I like to get 2 subs in there, but with a sub in z106 there will be only 1 if z106 is to be attacked, which I usually prefer.

• '19 '17 '16

@trulpen No I am only worried about a scramble in 110. 111 is a no brainer for the allies.

• Since the loss of air is greatest in z110 I believe the 2 sb’s have the greatest use in z110.

• '19 '17 '16

My point was I still think you should 111 even with the 2 subs bid even though it makes the opening shakier but I am less sure about that with the Scottish fighter bid.

Honestly, I would much rather send 1 sub to probably die in 106 than miss the 111 attack, which also kills the 124 sub anyway. Maybe that is the optimum move against the 106+111 subs bid. I guess you could also move that sub up to SZ121 but it just dies there not providing much distraction for UK.

• '19 '17 '16

should attack

• 2023 '22

From the discussion it’s obvious that a sub in 106 is great. Either you force Germany to attack with 3 subs, which weakens all other attacks. Maybe only if you are hell bent on taking out all UK transports that’s sound. Or make it into a coin flip when they attack with 2 subs only. Also I don’t think it’s terrible for Germany not being able to attack with that most-western sub. You can place it strategically instead.

• '19 '17 '16

I think sending 3 subs there only works if you also attack SZ109, which I can’t really like.

• 2 figs definitely makes z111 shakier and makes it more risky for G to conduct both attacks. The upside is that with no sub in z106, 2 subs can join z111 which evens things out a bit. On the other hand then an attack on z106 is really just a coinflip with a sub against a des. The reward for success usually makes it kind of worth it anyway, even though it’s only something like 30-40 %.

Anyway, with an extra fig in Scotland it might very well be that Bismarck has to go to z110 with an option to perhaps sink the northern fleet the next turn.

• 2023 '22

@simon33 yup that’s what I meant. Depending on the UK bid there is situations when this is most sound. E.g. when they place no sub in 106 but in both 110 and 111

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m