• A workaround for triplea is to use an alt account for posting, so your main account doesn’t get logged out. I’ve started doing that and it works fine. The only slightly annoying thing is that you get email notifications on your main account when the alt account posts, but it’s less of a nuisance than getting logged out.

• '16 '15 '10

It’s an annoying problem–I’m glad I’m not the only one experiencing it.

If you think you understand what is causing it (much of this is Greek to me) feel free to make use of the bug tracker to bring it to the attention of the programmers.

http://sourceforge.net/p/triplea/bugs/

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

So, I, like many others, get logged out every time I post a triple a map. Is there any solution?  Yet?

Thanks

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

100% of tripleA users are having the same problem… and it’s not going away :(

• Founder TripleA Admin

The issue in TripleA has been identified, we just need somebody to update the code.  :|

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

David,

It’s not tripleA, Look at bmneilsens debugging below.

Sure, there is a possibility tripleA could be recoded to improve it’s function on the forum,  but there’s a bunch of gambles and unknowns with that.

And the issue of me getting logged out on this computer, when I login on my phone, or on another computer, is still present…

It’s all server side D :(

@bmnielsen:

Alright, I did a bit of debugging with the code open.

The general logic for the TripleA poster is this:

1. Log in.
    2. Wait 15 seconds to avoid getting the “you logged in less than 15 seconds ago” error.
    3. Post the message.
    4. Log out.

When stepping through this in the debugger, I could see that my browser wasn’t logged out until step 4.

The logical conclusion from that is that SMF now logs out all sessions a user has when you log out one of them. I tested this theory with two browsers and could verify (i.e. I logged in with both Chrome and Firefox, logged out of one of them, was logged out of the other automatically).

TripleA can probably be changed to skip the logout step, but it might not be trivial, since it probably then needs to support being able to dynamically skip steps 1 and 2 if it’s already logged in.

djensen, maybe you can check if this is a documented change in SMF, and whether there’s any way to turn it off?

I haven’t got around to checking the instable posting of game files yet.

• I’m at wit’s end w/respect to this……

• Founder TripleA Admin

The problem is that I don’t know how to change the forum software and it’s an easier fix to change TripleA to not logout when you’re done with posting.

• @djensen:

The problem is that I don’t know how to change the forum software and it’s an easier fix to change TripleA to not logout when you’re done with posting.

But why would I want to be logged in to the forum for longer, when I only want to post a move - independently from visiting the forum?

• TripleA

Hey fellas. So it appears the upgrades you made to the forums have caused issues with TripleA logging users out when posting. I’ve also noticed a considerable increase in the numbers of TripleA posts that result in a failure message but successfully post to the forums.

Have you been able to determine if you can fix the issues on the forum end? If not then I’m willing to try and make changes on the TripleA side for our next release (targeting end of July).

• Founder TripleA Admin

I don’t have a fix on the forum side. Hopefully a fix on the TripleA side will work.

• TripleA

I went ahead and removed the logout call made to AxisAndAllies forum to avoid logging out all user sessions. I then tested playing TripleA PBF for both scenarios of being logged in and logged out on the website. It seems to work with no issues with the logout call removed. I have committed this change into the latest pre-release and the instructions for downloading/installing to test it can be found here: http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/AI-Development-Discussion-tp7585227.html

As a heads up, I have pretty much no knowledge of how the axisandallies forums work so I’m not sure if there are any side effects for this change. I would strongly encourage a few of you to test it out and see if any issues occur.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I think there’s another issue. When TripleA “times out” connected to the forums, it doesn’t really timeout. It appears to continue connecting and actually successfully submits the upload. I’m guessing the file upload is taking longer than expected and the TripleA timeout isn’t long enough. This might be part of the “I’m done with TripleA but I get logged out randomly.”

I’m guessing it’s more like, I clicked Post Turn Summary 10 times and when to the site and got logged out 4-5 times.

Your fix should help but a longer timeout when help relieve the server a bit.

• As far as I can tell, the logout and posting error issues are independent.

The logout issue is just because the forum software now logs you out of all sessions when you log out of one session. This is easy to reproduce just by using two browsers on your computer. Since TripleA always includes a logout as the last step, you always get logged out of your browser when posting, regardless of whether the post succeeds or not.

The posting error is something else, and since it doesn’t happen every time it is probably somehow related to server load. Unfortunately it seems to be working right now when I try posting with the debugger active in TripleA, I’ll give it another try when I see issues posting a real game.

By the way, the forum seems to have an attachment size limit of 1 mb now and not 1.5 mb, so the text under the attachment button isn’t accurate.

• TripleA

Yeah, I think they are independent as well and the posting error isn’t consistent so hard to determine why it occurs. Increasing the timeout might not even help if its taking several minutes or if its something entirely different.

@bmnielson - I’d appreciate if you could test the changes I committed to make sure it resolves the logout issues.

• I’m always using the latest TripleA prerelease triplea.jar

With the new one (released 7 hours ago) I realise that when I use TripleA to post a move I will appear as being “Online” in the “Users Online”-list of the forum ( http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/ )

and - even worse - my status is “Online” when viewing my profile summary.

I mean this all happens by only using TripleA - without any further intention to use the forum at that moment (except posting a move of course).

Personally, I would prefer that TripleA and the forum software stay independent from each other. Is see no reason for an “Online status” when I am in fact offline from the forum.

A solution (starting from the current (latest) prerelease) could be to add an option such as “Post and stay logged in after posting” AND “Post and log out from the forum after posting”.

• @redrum:

Yeah, I think they are independent as well and the posting error isn’t consistent so hard to determine why it occurs. Increasing the timeout might not even help if its taking several minutes or if its something entirely different.

It is definitely independent. I noticed - when trying to post a move - that TripleA logged me in to the forum (I appeared as “Online”) but the error message (Timeout) occured nevertheless.

• TripleA

@P@nther - This is a somewhat different issue that is really a forum bug. The ‘users online’ list appears to check if you have any active sessions not if you have an active session for the given browser. So this issue isn’t just a TripleA issue and can be reproduced by doing the following:

1. Open Chrome and login to axisandallies.org
    2. Open Firefox and navigate to axisandallies.org and you’ll see that it shows you in the ‘users online’ but you can’t post since you aren’t logged in on Firefox

• Sure, I have understood the issue and fully agree. I see that this is a forum software issue.

I just wanted to point out the downside of the new (triplea.jar) modification:
    An unintended “online-status” when there was no intention for activity on the forum except posting the move through TripleA.

• TripleA

Fair enough. Though I’m guessing the vast majority of users stay logged in forever in the browser so won’t even notice. An option could be added as you described to allow the user to choose whether to login or logout after TripleA posts but I honestly don’t think hardly anyone would ever choose to logout.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m