• Customizer

It doesn’t make sense even historically.  Germany had about 4000 planes at this point, I believe.  The same as Japan.

Once again, the scale is a joke.  I will be interested to see what effect 20+ Japanese planes landing on a German stack in southern Russia turn 5 will do.

I will certainly buy this, but this puts me off from playing it linked.

• @jim010:

It doesn’t make sense even historically.  Germany had about 4000 planes at this point, I believe.  The same as Japan.

Once again, the scale is a joke.  I will be interested to see what effect 20+ Japanese planes landing on a German stack in southern Russia turn 5 will do.

Larry has addressed this concern before - he says he doesn’t think the Japs will be able to do without 20 planes.

Not saying I agree with him necessarily - just saying he has already been confronted with this.

It’s a good idea to peruse the forums on his game site.  He directly addresses a lot of questions and concerns about these games.

• Just a question, but why do we have 2 axis and allies forum sites? Wouldn’t it be more efficient and get a lot more of our concerns addressed if they were consolidated into one so that Larry was on the same site as all of us?

• Larry should make an account on here. Im sure djensen would make him a global mod/admin. Or we could all join LH site.

• @Proud:

Larry should make an account on here. Im sure djensen would make him a global mod/admin. Or we could all join LH site.

Yes.  Pretty much, if you want to communicate on a thread with Larry, you need to go to his site at this point.

Would be great if he’d come over here too, like you said.

• @gamerman01:

@Proud:

Larry should make an account on here. Im sure djensen would make him a global mod/admin. Or we could all join LH site.

Yes.  Pretty much, if you want to communicate on a thread with Larry, you need to go to his site at this point.

Would be great if he’d come over here too, like you said.

Krieghund is here at least.

• Once again, the scale is a joke.  I will be interested to see what effect 20+ Japanese planes landing on a German stack in southern Russia turn 5 will do.

This is completely true and further proof that the research to at least make the games seem realistic was not considered. This is the whole point of the recent discussion regarding the AAP40 set up issues and changes being made. Its like the old adage of telling a lie and then trying to cover it with yet another lie. Eventually the whole deck of cards crashes down under its own weight because the original foundation is faulty and now you get into situations where you got to ‘fix’ what others have already worked on because they started in the wrong place.

Original AAP had a much more realistic feel and remains one of the most interesting games. IN that case very little needed to be done to make it perfect.

AAE was a joke altogether and was totally imbalanced and they never fixed it.

I have the historical information to set them both up realistically and will be doing this. But you have to at least play AAE40 and global 40 to see what they did.

• Hey IL, you said you have historical information on the forces in the field of world war 2, do you think you could provide a link to your info, or do you get it from a book?

• Both but here is one link

Go to Pacific War online and they have all the OOB for the Pacific.

• This is completely true and further proof that the research to at least make the games seem realistic was not considered. This is the whole point of the recent discussion regarding the AAP40 set up issues and changes being made. Its like the old adage of telling a lie and then trying to cover it with yet another lie. Eventually the whole deck of cards crashes down under its own weight because the original foundation is faulty and now you get into situations where you got to ‘fix’ what others have already worked on because they started in the wrong place.

Here Here! This game should be set up exactly to the T how it actually was in 1940. Then the should just give the axis the forces they would have needed to make it a fair game. nothing else should be altered. No subtracting here and then adding there and then counter this to offset that…

• then it would be a different game, and not axis and allies

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Imperious:

I have the historical information to set them both up realistically and will be doing this. But you have to at least play AAE40 and global 40 to see what they did.

IL, I am not totally familiar with your developed games, so tell me if you already do this, but… could you or would you be willing to examine a historical setup scheme for the base Global 40 board?

What I mean by that is, if we just wanted to play with the boards, and game rules, as they come in the boxes, but have a more historical and balanced setup…

I know you modify the boards and modify the game on your own (I have downloaded some), but would you be willing to design/playtest a setup scheme for the base game?

• I don’t see 3 bombers in Central USA in the setup nor in the screenshots from DJensen.

It’s hard to tell but I don’t think it says bombers in the US setup chart. And in the test game from DJensen there is one shot from the Eastern USA building up where there is only one bomber in the Eastern USA. Probably (we don’t know the political rules exactly) because USA can enter any other territories than her own.

• There are bombers in the Central US. However it may be 1 now that I looked at it.

• setups from http://www.axisandallies.org/node/416

Italy 10 IPC:
    Albania: 2 Infantry, 1 Tank
    Ethiopia: 2 Infantry
    Italian Somaliland: 1 Infantry
    Libya:2 Infantry
    Northern Italy: 2 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 AA Gun, 1 Fighter, 1 Major IC, 1 Air Base
    Southern Italy: 2 Infantry, 1 AA Gun, 1 Fighter, 1 Minor IC, 1 Naval Base
    Tobruk:4 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 2 Mechanized Infantry, 1 Tank
    Sea Zone 95: 1 Cruiser, 1 Battleship, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 97: 1 Destroyer, 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport

United States 35 IPC:
    Central USA: 1 Infantry, 1 Mechanized Infantry, 1 Bomber, 1 Major IC
    Eastern USA:1 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter, 1 Major IC, 1 Air Base, 1 Naval Base
    Sea Zone 108:1 Destroyer, 1 Transport

France 17 IPC:
    Algeria: 1 Infantry
    Normandy/Bordeaux: 1 Infantry, 1 Minor IC, 1 Naval Base
    French West Africa:1 Infantry
    France: 6 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter, 1 Major IC, 1 Air Base
    United Kingdom: 1 Infantry
    Morocco: 1 Infantry
    Southern France:1 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Naval Base
    Syria:1 Infantry
    Tunisia:1 Infantry
    Sea Zone 72:1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 93:1 Destroyer, 1 Cruiser
    Sea Zone 112: 1 Cruiser

Soviet Union  28 IPC:
    Archangel:1 Infantry
    Baltic States: 3 Infantry
    Belarus: 1 Infantry
    Bessarabia: 2 Infantry
    Caucasus: 1 Infantry
    Eastern Poland: 3 Infantry
    Karelia: 2 Infantry
    Novgorod: 6 Infantry 1 Artillery, 1 AA Gun, 1 Fighter, 1 Minor IC, 1 Air Base, 1 Naval Base
    Russia: 2 Infantry,  1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, 1 Mechanized Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 AA Gun, 1 Tactical Bomber, 1 Major IC, 1 Air Base
    Volgograd: 1 Mechanized Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 Minor IC
    Vyborg: 2 Infantry
    Western Ukraine:1 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Sea Zone 115:1 Battleship, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 127: 1 Submarine

Germany  30 IPC:
    Denmark: 1 Infantry
    Greater Southern Germany: 6 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 2 Tanks
    Germany: 6 Infantry, 4 Artillery, 1 AA Gun, 1 Bomber, 1 Minor IC
    Holland/Belgium: 4 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 3 Tanks, 1 Fighter
    Norway: 2 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Poland: 3 Infantry, 1 Tank
    Romania: 2 Infantry, 1 Tank
    Slovakia/Hungary: 2 Infantry, 1 Tank
    West Germany: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 4 Mechanized Infantry, 1 AA gun, 2 Fighters, 3 Tactical Bombers, 1 Major IC, 1 Air Base, 1 Naval Base
    Sea Zone 103: 1 Submarine
    Sea Zone 108: 1 Submarine
    Sea Zone 113: 1 Battleship, 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 117: 1 Submarine
    Sea Zone 118: 1 Submarine
    Sea Zone 124: 1 Submarine

United Kingdom  29 IPC:
    Alexandria:2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter
    Anglo Egypt Sudan: 1 Infantry
    Egypt: 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Naval Base
    France: 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank
    Gibraltar:1 Air Base, 1 Naval Base
    Iceland: 1 Air Base
    New Brunswick: 1 Naval Base
    Ontario:1 Infantry
    Quebec:1 Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 Minor IC
    United Kingdom: 1 Infantry, 1 AA Gun, 3 Fighters, 1 Major IC, 1 Air Base, 1 Naval Base
    Union of South Africa: 2 Infantry, 1 Minor IC, 1 Naval Base
    West India: 1 Infantry
    Sea Zone 71:1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 85: 1 Cruiser
    Sea Zone 91: 1 Destroyer 1 Aircraft Carrier, 1 Tactical Bomber
    Sea Zone 98:1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 106:1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 109:1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 110: 1 Destroyer, 1 Battleship
    Sea Zone 111: 1 Cruiser, 1 Battleship
    Sea Zone 112: 1 Cruiser

• I love the new scale of ships in Pac and Euro! I’m so used to Revised where a nation has MAYBE 7-10 ships at max. Now several powers start the game with 7-10!  :-D

• I am so freaking excited to play this game and the set up looks awesome, but I am getting sick of all those history buffs who say the set-up isn’t historical. I want a set up that is fun to play, which is what Larry is providing. If they made this game historical then the allies would win every time. Gamers seriously stop the whining.

• @cressman8064:

I am so freaking excited to play this game and the set up looks awesome, but I am getting sick of all those history buffs who say the set-up isn’t historical. I want a set up that is fun to play, which is what Larry is providing. If they made this game historical then the allies would win every time. Gamers seriously stop the whining.

make me  :x

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@cressman8064:

I am so freaking excited to play this game and the set up looks awesome, but I am getting sick of all those history buffs who say the set-up isn’t historical. I want a set up that is fun to play, which is what Larry is providing. If they made this game historical then the allies would win every time. Gamers seriously stop the whining.

Much of the “whining” is going on because we are skeptical of game balance, not simply because it may not be historical.

While the game should be as historically accurate as possible, I think most of us would welcome tweaking with unit placements/amounts to even out the matchup in the long run. Otherwise it might not usually be “fun to play”, as you put it.

• From the looks of things this game will be very balanced with a slight edge to the Allies.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m