• If I can chime in….

There are keys that were briefly mentioned but not taken into account:
    1). Russias buy
    2). The amount of russians left alive in West Russia and Ukraine.
    3). Russias non-combat on R1

If Russia is pressuring the Germans out east, a fleet may not even be an option.
    How good is the Russian player?  Does he recognize that the German fleet buy on G1 causes Germany to be ground unit poor, and now Russia can/should be willing to throw units at Gemany (even at a loss) to begin to bleed Germany dry.

When Germany buys a navy, you are not really forcing the allies to do all that much differently.  Axis game plans that force the allies to react usually work better.  The allies are going to build an Atlantic navy regardless.  But now Germany is not buying what she needs/usually will buy: ground units.

This is a tricky dance Germany is attempting… my experience has been that unless the allies mis-play their reaction to the German navy, or Russia is weak in the eastern theatre, then this is a poor long term game plan.

• Your comments are welcome and its great that you have taken some time to post.

The original idea is russia took belo and lost 1-2 infantry, and took west russia and lost 2-3 infantry. The russians probably bought 8 infantry or 3/3 or even 4 inf or 3 artillery.

The russian player and the allies have the idea of KGF and the bid was 3-5. The russian sub was/is with the allied fleet at SZ#6 for the block.

No NA’s are being played.

the options were:

1. attempt a link up with the medd fleet
    2. sealion
    3. keep the fleet in baltic as a threat and shuck infantry/art to russia with 4 trannys

I maintain only #3 is a plausible idea and option #1 is pretty much a huge gamble.

All of this is an attempt to make sence of the german buys on G1.

the choices so far:

1. CV and 3 Tranny
    2. CV 8 infantry or (mix of art and infantry)
    3. one DD, balance land units
    4. all land units ( whatever combination of inf,art,and tanks)
    5. rockets and bomber ( morrison games)
    6. Buy tranny for medd, balance land
    7. 1 CV and 3 subs
    8. land and air units combo
  • 2007 AAR League

I’m not sure on that assumption on the Russian sub. If it moves to SZ 6 by itself, it’s a pretty nice target of opportunity for Germany in G1. I’d kill it with air (ftr/bom) and then there would be less Allied ships to interfere with the possible dash on G2.

Then, if the UK still moves into SZ 6, I wouldn’t attempt unification in G2. I MIGHT strafe to sink a few TRNs but that would be about it. Then as fleets move around during the game I might sneak down to SZ7 if the opportunity arose.

My whole strategy is based around not getting my units killed. I like to make my victory omelet with as few of my eggs as possible, though I don’t mind using the other guy’s eggs.

• I would presume the Tranny moves first to SZ#2 and then on R2 to SZ#6. The German player would probably leave it alone.

But Floodster what do you think about just leaving the stuff in the baltic and shuffle 8 men to russia?

And additionally you keep the sealion threat open.

and provide real defence for Germany.

• 2007 AAR League

Are we talking about the tranny or the sub? Yeah, I guess it can move to block in SZ 6 in round 2.

I think the Baltic factory (if that’s what were calling it) is a good option, perhaps better than fleet unification. Of course, if it is, the allied player may NOT want to block unification just for the sake of allowing the German player to move if they want to.

• 2007 AAR League

@U-505:

Et Tu, jsp. My tourney partner. The wound cuts deep.  :lol:

Nothing personal, you’re just WRONG!  :evil:

Ya knows what’s missing from this whole debate is the WHY?  Why does Germany want to unify their fleet in SZ7 on G2?  I don’t see any strategic gain by doing so.

• Yes that is true. What i gather a few think the fleet will join up after all is said and done and move into the medd somehow.

The second idea they want to maintain is after the battle they claim the allied loses are so great that the German player has swindled them in a disadvantageous exchange.

I maintain the only halfway decent option is:

1. ignore the navy buys on G1
    2. buy enough just so planes alone dont sink the baltic fleet
    3. buy a carrier and trannys (either at once or by installments) and use it as threat ans shuck material to russia.
  • 2007 AAR League

Wow.  What a condescending post.  From a moderator, no less.

<shakes head=“”></shakes>

• Yea you probably correct … Ill edit.

• 2007 AAR League

@jsp4563:

Ya knows what’s missing from this whole debate is the WHY?  Why does Germany want to unify their fleet in SZ7 on G2?  I don’t see any strategic gain by doing so.

Well my “why” is to gain long-term control of the Mediterranean, to control Africa and really threaten Caucasus. If spending 16 IPC in the baltic allows me to eventually bring a 52 IPC navy to join the 40 IPC navy in the Mediterranean, that’s a good use of 16 IPCs.

I have yet to actually achieve this in a game though, so I’m just spitballing here.

And for the record, I have not advocated attacking the Allied fleet as being some kind of favourable exchange. As Germany is initially surrounded and outproduced, I don’t think simplification is as good plan for Germany - again, force conservation is my modus operandus.

• 2007 AAR League

@froodster:

@jsp4563:

Well my “why” is to gain long-term control of the Mediterranean, to control Africa and really threaten Caucasus. If spending 16 IPC in the baltic allows me to eventually bring a 52 IPC navy to join the 40 IPC navy in the Mediterranean, that’s a good use of 16 IPCs.

I have yet to actually achieve this in a game though, so I’m just spitballing here.

And for the record, I have not advocated attacking the Allied fleet as being some kind of favourable exchange. As Germany is initially surrounded and outproduced, I don’t think simplification is as good plan for Germany - again, force conservation is my modus operandus.

If long term control of the Med is the goal, the a G1 or G2 purchase of 1CV & 1tp is a better option.  Trying to unite the fleets in sz7 for a move to the med will result in heavy losses to the fleet before they can get back to the med.

• If you want (you meaning others who favor it) to link up the fleets why not just buy a damm carrier and 3 trannys in the medd and avoid all of this mess?

Then you got 4 trannys and 8 men per turn right into the caucasus and africa is protected. Eventually your baltic fleet is under attack but you cant win them all. The medd is more important anyway.

• 2007 AAR League

@Imperious:

If you want (you meaning others who favor it) to link up the fleets why not just buy a damm carrier and 3 trannys in the medd and avoid all of this mess?

Then you got 4 trannys and 8 men per turn right into the caucasus and africa is protected. Eventually your baltic fleet is under attack but you cant win them all. The medd is more important anyway.

I have to admit I’ve been leaning that way in the last bit too. That build might be a bit rich though, I’d do maybe 1 TRN 1 AC. If the Russian fighters are out of range, I’d skip the AC and do one or two TRNs.

One nice thing is that you can wait until after combat to decide where to place the naval units. If Egypt went exceptionally well, then maybe you’d consider putting the ships in the Baltic. If Africa will need help ASAP (prolly most of the time), then you can put it in the Med.

• 2007 AAR League

Surrender the BALTIC???  :-o :-o :-o

That 16 IPC worth of TRANny in the Baltic is definitely worth it.

• It is a deterrent against UK coming into the Baltic.
    • It is a bridge to NOR and KAR, both vital spaces to keeping the UK/US from joining up with the UK
    • It is a threat on UK that forces a garrison to prevent SeaLion
    • It is the “fodder” part an operational fleet that could be used in an open water conflict

That is why I build 2 TRAN in the BAL on G1 and what I expect of them.

I have not yet seen a game where it was a bad idea.  Even the most agressive USSR and KGF effort still is slowed down by this move.  If anything, I might advocate a 3 TRAN build on G1 to make sure all of those points are intact on G2 if faced with truly agressive USSR and UK players.  Anything less is not as much of a deterrent.

• 2007 AAR League

I still agree that a Baltic build can also be good - boy I’m all over the place here - and a Med build can also be good - but can Germany maintain two fleets - hence unification might be a good idea for overall survivability (if opportunity presents itself).

Building 2 TRN Baltic and 1 TRN 1 CV Med? That does mean NO land forces, but the naval presence helps protect the European shores too… If you were to spend all IPCS on navy, that would be the way to go I think. And then many many turns of purely Inf builds…

• @Imperious:

If you want (you meaning others who favor it) to link up the fleets why not just buy a damm carrier and 3 trannys in the medd and avoid all of this mess?

If a fleet is bought in the med, then a dd, trans and 2 subs (36 IPC) are wasted in the baltic. They will die to the UK’s air, at perhaps a 20 IPC loss.

Germany has 6 fighters. For a mere 16 IPC, that adds 11 defense to that fleet. UK/USA must spend more than that 16 IPC to destroy it.

Going to the med may be a good or bad idea, but it does nothing to take advantage of the 36 IPC you have in the baltic.

• 2007 AAR League

In my game vs Jsp he did a German opening of 2 ACs + 1 Trn and placed 1 AC in Baltic and 1 AC + 1 Trn in Med. Not far into the game but it will probably be interesting. Not far into the game but I will like to see how he intends to use it.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=8784.0

• If a fleet is bought in the med, then a dd, trans and 2 subs (36 IPC) are wasted in the baltic. They will die to the UK’s air, at perhaps a 20 IPC loss.

Germany has 6 fighters. For a mere 16 IPC, that adds 11 defense to that fleet. UK/USA must spend more than that 16 IPC to destroy it.

Going to the med may be a good or bad idea, but it does nothing to take advantage of the 36 IPC you have in the baltic.

Yes they are under direct threat of this, but you have to also accept that the allies will lose 2 fighters as well, which makes it 36 vs 20 ipcs lost and 16 net in germanys favor. Of course on uk 2 or uk 3 they may want to attack the baltic with fleet units.

Thus what about a carrier in baltic (and possible 1 tranny)?

and 2 tranny in medd.  So now you got 3 tranny in medd shucking and 2 tranny in baltic shucking.

that method wont overload the factories in germany and units can flow from both factories.

What does not make too much gains is the idea of germany attemps a link with the medd fleet. The threat is great but actually if the allies are totally determined and capable i dont see how it could be made to work given what has been presented from a G2 drop in sz#6 or 7.

Id rather no have a clash with UK and just have either one decent fleet or two active fleets moving slow land units to russia and protecting germany and the “soft underbelly of europe”

Id only venture out in some Jutland operation IF the allies had some nightmare and had to leave the atlantic or they were doing well at a KJF and Germany was also doing good in russia.The venture might make the allies run back to save england.

• @Imperious:

If a fleet is bought in the med, then a dd, trans and 2 subs (36 IPC) are wasted in the baltic. They will die to the UK’s air, at perhaps a 20 IPC loss.

Yes they are under direct threat of this, but you have to also accept that the allies will lose 2 fighters as well, which makes it 36 vs 20 ipcs lost and 16 net in germanys favor. Of course on uk 2 or uk 3 they may want to attack the baltic with fleet units.

Thus what about a carrier in baltic (and possible 1 tranny)?

and 2 tranny in medd.  So now you got 3 tranny in medd shucking and 2 tranny in baltic shucking.

that method wont overload the factories in germany and units can flow from both factories.

I dont like the idea of trading my 36 IPc for Uk’s 20. If I got the bomber, its a wash, but this result does not always happen.

If you build AC in Baltic, and 2 trans in the med, what do you do with Egypt. Since the BB will be left behind to protect the new transports. You are left only with your 3-5 bid + lybia + air (and perhaps down a fighter). Not everyone will attack Egypt in this situation, correct?? You still need the UK BB, perhaps the DD, etc.

• You attack in Round 1 as normal, then in G2 you smack the SNOT out of Egypt, and then raid Africa for keeps( at least for a few turns).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m