• '14 Customizer

For me its a limited number of chip count. Its easer to see a green chip from a distance than a stack of 3 grey to me. I wish the green chip was a different color because for standard poker chip value green is 25, red 5, white/grey 1, blue 10.

• Cyanight, you win :-D

I showed my wife and daughter the picture of the chips, told them how you made them, and my daughter told me I should make my own set… but her daddy isn’t that cool.

How long did it take you to make your set?

• Another useful accessory for long A&A games are the kind of stackable chips shown in the picture below.  They’re inexpensive and easily obtainable from local suppliers in most cities and towns.

Stackable Chips.jpg

• '14 Customizer

@Stalingradski:

Cyanight, you win :-D

I showed my wife and daughter the picture of the chips, told them how you made them, and my daughter told me I should make my own set… but her daddy isn’t that cool.

How long did it take you to make your set?

It took me a couple weeks. I used 3mm X 1mm Neodymium magnets. You can easily find them on Ebay for about 100 for around $5. You don’t need to use much glue and that is what I learned from doing many of the chips. Use a 3mm drill and secured the chip to be drilled with tape on a piece of cardboard or like surface. Slowly drill the hole all the way though the chip. It may crack a little in the center but if it doesn’t crack all the way through your glue will fix it. Then I just used those 10mm dot stickers that people use at garage sales to cover both sides of the chip.

This second pic shows my IPC board which is a small replica of the main board. Here the board can be tilted perpendicular and still hold a stack of 30 chips.

• Sponsor

@CWO:

Another useful accessory for long A&A games are the kind of stackable chips shown in the picture below.  They’re inexpensive and easily obtainable from local suppliers in most cities and towns.

LMAO… Awesome!

• '14 Customizer

@CWO:

Another useful accessory for long A&A games are the kind of stackable chips shown in the picture below.  They’re inexpensive and easily obtainable from local suppliers in most cities and towns.Â

I hear the come in various flavors too :)

• @cyanight:

I hear the come in various flavors too :)

And they don’t need to be magnetized, unless you have a serious need to add some iron to your diet.

• I personally prefer the 1942 2nd ed chips.  they have a smaller circumference but are thicker.  Thus taking up less space (vital) and a bit easier to count/pick up.  Was pretty disappointed when i opened up 1940 and found these huge thin chips.  Sometimes i am a bit disappointed when it comes to the quality of necessary accessories with this series of awesome games.

On a separate note, the Asia board on my 1940 pacific was a bit warped.  I have to place paper weights on it to make it flat. The air bases are poorly printed on pacific as well.  Off centered. Anyone else have issues with product quality?

• Sponsor

@drummerinheat:

I personally prefer the 1942 2nd ed chips.  they have a smaller circumference but are thicker.  Thus taking up less space (vital) and a bit easier to count/pick up.  Was pretty disappointed when i opened up 1940 and found these huge thin chips.  Sometimes i am a bit disappointed when it comes to the quality of necessary accessories with this series of awesome games.

On a separate note, the Asia board on my 1940 pacific was a bit warped.  I have to place paper weights on it to make it flat. The air bases are poorly printed on pacific as well.  Off centered. Anyone else have issues with product quality?

Product quality has always been an issue with axis and allies games with the exception of A&A 50th Anniversary Edition… that game was awesome, nice tokens, paper money, and compartmentalized unit trays… after that, things went down hill and that’s why big fans of the game customize their own materials. Along the same issue you brought up with the air and naval base tokens, the 1st edition 1940 Europe game has thick base tokens and the Pacific 1940 1st edition has very thin base tokens. Are the 2nd edition base tokens from both europe and pacific the same thickness?

• Product quality has always been an issue with axis and allies games with the exception of A&A 50th Anniversary Edition… that game was awesome, nice tokens, paper money, and compartmentalized unit trays… after that, things went down hill and that’s why big fans of the game customize their own materials. Along the same issue you brought up with the air and naval base tokens, the 1st edition 1940 Europe game has thick base tokens and the Pacific 1940 1st edition has very thin base tokens. Are the 2nd edition base tokens from both europe and pacific the same thickness?

the bases are all the same size.  Just crookedly printed on 1940 Pacific.  Here’s the board warping and crooked prints below.  the crooked prints doesn’t bother me as much as the warped board.  I don’t want to have to use 6 weights to keep the damn thing flat.  I can see why you guys custom make your own accessories.

20150223_161858.jpg
    20150223_162137.jpg

• Sponsor

Hey Drummer, your warped board has inspired me to make this video, I hope it helps… Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQCKQa6rCeQ

• '14 Customizer

That’s BRILLIANT! I think it will work perfect for my 2 board setup. I have been trying to think of a way to fasten it together with clamps but this is Perfect. My metal boards are thicker so I think that material whatever it is would be exactly what I need. Thank you so much! And pet the can-opener for me ;)

• Great video YG!  I don’t know what those grooved things are called either, but you can get something similar – and perhaps even better, because they fit more tightly – by going to an office supply store and buying a pack of side-grip report covers (of the type shown below).  I bought a five-pack of these things a couple of weeks ago for another purpose, so they come in quantities smaller than the 50-pack shown below.  The four G40 panels have a total of 6 joints (3 at the top edge, 3 at the bottom edge), so two 5-packs would give you more than enough of the sliding grips to anchor those joints.

An alternate (and more expensive) solution is to cover your G40 map with a custom-cut sheet of non-glare acrylic or plexiglass (about 1/16 inch thick), which is the setup I have on my table:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=32700.0

This not only keeps the four panels flat and lined up, it also eliminates the problem of the grooves located at the folding points of each panel.  It also (in my particular case) allowed me to customize the map with my own roundels while still keeping the playing surface completely smooth, and thus making it easy to tell the difference between the customized default territorial markers and the ones which get added during play to denote territorial ownership changes.

• Forgot to post the picture:

Report Covers.jpg

• '22 '16

@CWO:

Another useful accessory for long A&A games are the kind of stackable chips shown in the picture below.  They’re inexpensive and easily obtainable from local suppliers in most cities and towns.

Now you’re talking!  But my German stack always seems to have shrunk considerably by the time I reach Moscow. :? :? :?

• @majikforce:

Now you’re talking!  But my German stack always seems to have shrunk considerably by the time I reach Moscow.

Yes, it’s unfortunately true that stackable chips of this type have poor durability, in the sense that when you use them in the intended way you have to keep buying new ones for every game.

• '22 '16

@Young:

Hey Drummer, your warped board has inspired me to make this video, I hope it helps… Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQCKQa6rCeQ

Fantastic idea!  I believe that stuff is called j channel.  I know I’ve used it before when doing siding repair (much much larger pieces obviously)  I am totally going to home depot to see what sizes they have.  Great ideas everybody!  Uh oh my stomach grumbled, I’d better get some more of those stackable chips. Mmmmmm

• Sponsor

@drummerinheat:

Someone on YouTube just told me that they complained to wizards of the coast about their warped Europe 1940 boards, and they sent him new ones.

• @Young:

they sent him new ones

Hopefully at warp speed.

• Sponsor

@CWO:

@Young:

they sent him new ones

Hopefully at warp speed. Â

:lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users