• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Young:

There was a discussion earlier in this thread about the Fortresses name pertaining mostly to the particular theatre that each type participated in, so we came up with a name that encompasses both “Flying” (Europe) and “Super” (Pacific) fortresses. As for changing the name solely because of flying fortresses defensive capabilities Vs interceptors (which are pretty dam good) doesn’t seem necessary. Besides, Boeing fortresses is one of my favourite advantage titles, however, if CWO Marc (project historian) says that the title misrepresents the rule, and they are as you say “very different” from each other… then I will likely change it.

Understood. It isn’t a huge deal… more about historical accuracy than anything else. It is your rules version, so you can have it say whatever you want.

I believe I speak for Marc when I list off the following items which might change your mind:

The B-29 Superfortress was the ultimate bomber aircraft in the war. It could fly higher, farther and drop more bombs than any previous aircraft. It was also superbly armed for self defense with remote controlled turrets.

Not only this but it was a true wartime Advancement. The Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress was developed and existed before the war even started, while the B-29 did not enter service until late 1944. From Wikipedia:

In wartime, the B-29 was capable of flight at altitudes up to 31,850 feet (9,710 m), at speeds of up to 350 mph (560 km/h) (true airspeed). This was its best defense, because Japanese fighters could barely reach that altitude, and few could catch the B-29 even if they did attain that altitude. Only the heaviest of anti-aircraft weapons could reach it, and since the Axis forces did not have proximity fuzes, hitting or damaging the aircraft from the ground in combat proved difficult.

This cannot be said of the B-17 (which you have pictured on the card). Even though the B-29 flew almost exclusively in the Pacific theater, there is no reason that it could not be also used in Europe. The reason, I believe, they were not used against Germany was because the war was winding down in Europe (or over by 1944 and 1945) and the distances were not as long.

All of this fits both the timeline and capabilities that you describe in the advantage much better than the rather vague “Fortresses” term. For this reason I vote “Superfortresses”!

• Sponsor

Your research is good enough for me Hoffman,… Super Fortresses it is. Sorry for the bad quality, but here’s a pic of the new card.

photo-15.JPG

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Young:

Your research is good enough for me Hoffman,… Super Fortresses it is. Sorry for the bad quality, but here’s a pic of the new card.

That is AWESOME! Great job YG.  :mrgreen:

Need to get my deck.

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

That is AWESOME! Great job YG.   :mrgreen:

Need to get my deck.

NP, Thanks for the feedback, I will do everything I can to help players get their own deck, but it will take a while.

• Sponsor

Here are some more rough draft card designs…

• Sponsor

America - Essex Class Carriers

photo-19.JPG

• Sponsor

Germany - V-Rockets

photo-18.JPG

• Sponsor

Russia - Trans-Siberian Railway

photo-17.JPG

• Sponsor

United Kingdom - Around the Clock Bombing

photo-16.JPG

• '14 Customizer

Here is an interesting tech for Japan

I-400 Super Submarines

Attack: 3
    Defense: 2
    Move: 2
    Unit Characteristics : All the abilities of a submarine. Can carry 2 fighters or tactical bombers.

The IJN’s I-400 was the first real super submarine. It was 400 ft long and built to be an underwater aircraft carrier.  Japan had plans to build 18 of them but only 4 were built before the end of the war.

• Sponsor

@cyanight:

Here is an interesting tech for Japan

I-400 Super Submarines

Attack: 3
    Defense: 2
    Move: 2
    Unit Characteristics : All the abilities of a submarine. Can carry 2 fighters or tactical bombers.

The IJN’s I-400 was the first real super submarine. It was 400 ft long and built to be an underwater aircraft carrier.  Japan had plans to build 18 of them but only 4 were built before the end of the war.

Hey Cyanight,

That’s a good tech, I like the idea of a different sea unit carrying planes. However, Enigma for Germany is awfully close to this, and Exess Class Carriers for the US gets an extra plane, so I’m gonna stay with Long Lance torpedos, and Kaiten torpedos as advantages special to Japan.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Customizer

I was thinking about the Japan advantage of “Dug In Defenders” but I just took a look and saw that you must have removed that one in favor of something else. That would still be a good one for Japan on all those Pacific islands.
    What I was thinking about was a way to nullify that advantage by using flamethrower infantry from the HBG Marines set. Of course, flamethrowers would not be a national advantage but rather a special unit that the US player could purchase. I guess if you wanted the dug in defenders for Japan, that could also be a special unit, like the heavy MG infantry unit in the Japan Expansion set, rather than a national advantage for Japan.
    In fact, I think Coach suggested that in how to use the heavy MG infantry unit in a post about the new Japanese units on HBG’s Facebook page. They are cheaper than infantry units and have no attack ability, but a heightened defense value.

• Hi, I don’t have anything against your Russian cards, but just to have fun, an original Russian would read it: (- means there is no such letter in their alphabet.

Tyadi–-'/sigma/ya-di…

• '14 Customizer

If you limited the I-400’s to carry only one plane each then they are very close but not better than Essex CV’s. Although being able to submerge a CV can have many possible strategies other than and automatic hit of the Kaiten torpedos. In a game built on chance with dice I don’t like anything to be automatic unless we are playing Low Luck with everything.  I like having a random possibility for failure on any attack or defense.  Even the atom bomb should roll dice for IPC’s destroyed. It most likely will still destroy all of the IPCs in that territory but at least make it likely to fail as well.  Roll 4d6 or something to at least give the random possibility of failure.

I do very much like your variants you have created. It is going to be fun playing it.

• Sponsor

@mattsk:

Hi, I don’t have anything against your Russian cards, but just to have fun, an original Russian would read it: (- means there is no such letter in their alphabet.

Tyadi–-'/sigma/ya-di…

I have since changed the font, thanks.

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

I was thinking about the Japan advantage of “Dug In Defenders” but I just took a look and saw that you must have removed that one in favor of something else. That would still be a good one for Japan on all those Pacific islands.
    What I was thinking about was a way to nullify that advantage by using flamethrower infantry from the HBG Marines set. Of course, flamethrowers would not be a national advantage but rather a special unit that the US player could purchase. I guess if you wanted the dug in defenders for Japan, that could also be a special unit, like the heavy MG infantry unit in the Japan Expansion set, rather than a national advantage for Japan.
    In fact, I think Coach suggested that in how to use the heavy MG infantry unit in a post about the new Japanese units on HBG’s Facebook page. They are cheaper than infantry units and have no attack ability, but a heightened defense value.

Hey KNP,

The Dug-in Defenders advantage was not removed, but rather merged with Tokyo Express in order to balance the pairing. This works historically as well (at least in theory).

5B - Tokyo Express
    Each Japanese destroyer may now transport 1 infantry unit during their non combat phase, provided their cargo is unloaded onto a Japanese controlled Island. Also, all Japanese infantry units on Islands now defend @3 or less.

As for flame-throwers and HBG pieces, I’m trying hard to make a set that won’t require getting extra sculpts or game pieces of any kind, so that all a player would need is the card deck. However, more advanced players like yourself should feel free to house rule and modify Delta as you wish so to fit it into your own games.

• Sponsor

@cyanight:

If you limited the I-400’s to carry only one plane each then they are very close but not better than Essex CV’s. Although being able to submerge a CV can have many possible strategies other than and automatic hit of the Kaiten torpedos. In a game built on chance with dice I don’t like anything to be automatic unless we are playing Low Luck with everything.  I like having a random possibility for failure on any attack or defense.  Even the atom bomb should roll dice for IPC’s destroyed. It most likely will still destroy all of the IPCs in that territory but at least make it likely to fail as well.  Roll 4d6 or something to at least give the random possibility of failure.

I do very much like your variants you have created. It is going to be fun playing it.

These are all excellent points and I will definitely consider this, although a complete change of advantages is unlikely until I develop 2nd edition in a few months, I will make a note of this for review.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

If you add that ability to the Japanese submarine - which I do not have an issue with - then the price of the submarine should go up by at east 2 IPC, IMHO.  Also, you may want to indicate that a fighter may not be launched in defense of these submarines when they are on the defender side of the battle (assumption: they are submerged to avoid attack, cannot launch fighters under-water.)  This would have the added benefit of retaining some function for the surface carrier for the Japanese (fleet defense specifically.)

• Sponsor

Had a play test today and got a lot of great feedback which I won’t get into details tonight, however, the group did have issues with the R9 pairing, therefore, I’ve decided to change the advantages for japan (R9) based on the suggestion made by Cyanight earlier. Heres the new pairing for R9…

9A - Banzai Attack
    All Japanese Infantry units now attack @2 or less (no longer supported by artillery), and the defense value of each allied infantry unit matched against each attacking Japanese infantry unit is now @1.

or

9B - 1-400 Submarines
    Each Japanese Submarine may now carry 1 fighter (all aircraft carrier rules apply)

I’m really trying to minimize changes, but I felt this one was necessary.

• Customizer

@Cmdr:

If you add that ability to the Japanese submarine - which I do not have an issue with - then the price of the submarine should go up by at east 2 IPC, IMHO.  Also, you may want to indicate that a fighter may not be launched in defense of these submarines when they are on the defender side of the battle (assumption: they are submerged to avoid attack, cannot launch fighters under-water.)  This would have the added benefit of retaining some function for the surface carrier for the Japanese (fleet defense specifically.)

I would agree with you on not allowing the fighters on I-400 subs to participate in defense. It would be a good way to not make them overly strong and your logic seems sound to me.
    However, you shouldn’t increase the price. These are national advantages that each nation has to work toward. They shouldn’t have to pay extra on top of that.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m