• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Good.  So they could do a three pronged attack on Moscow and if Japan or Italy are the winners, Germany still gets the objective.  Nice…glad that was an error!

• Just finished a game in which there was some dispute over what an “operational” facility meant in original Global rules. Situation was UK builds a naval base on their turn in British Columbia which the US uses immediately on their turn to move to Japan and destroy about 50% of the Japanese fleet. Newly built factories are unable to produce units on the turn they are built, they only become operational at the beginning of the building player’s next turn. Would think the same logic would apply to a naval base or air base. Searched the rules and forums and couldn’t find any answers. Thanks for the help.

• @FiveAces:

Just finished a game in which there was some dispute over what an “operational” facility meant in original Global rules. Situation was UK builds a naval base on their turn in British Columbia which the US uses immediately on their turn to move to Japan and destroy about 50% of the Japanese fleet. Newly built factories are unable to produce units on the turn they are built, they only become operational at the beginning of the building player’s next turn. Would think the same logic would apply to a naval base or air base. Searched the rules and forums and couldn’t find any answers. Thanks for the help.

I was under the impression that they became operational after that turn - they just can’t be used the turn they’re built (but can be used by other powers on their turns because it’s after the initial nonoperational turn).

• If Japan invades Amur from Manchuria activating Mongolia, can I immediately attack into Mongolian territories that are now Russian in the same combat movement phase?

• @shadowguidex:

If Japan invades Amur from Manchuria activating Mongolia, can I immediately attack into Mongolian territories that are now Russian in the same combat movement phase?

You mean, without turning all of the true neutrals in the world against you.  Great question!  You’ll need a Krieghund answer because it was not clearly specified in Alpha 3 rules (which is why you thought of the question!).

I predict that the answer is yes, because the wording says the Mongolian territories IMMEDIATELY turn to Soviet and Soviet control markers are placed on the territory.  So you would not be guilty of invading a true neutral, even if you attacked Mongolia in the same combat movement phase as attacking Amur.  But this is only an “educated” guess.

I believe Krieg already answered this in the FAQ thread.  Perhaps it was on Larry’s site (http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=6149) but the answer is no.  If you attack Mongolia the same round as attacking Amur, then all neutrals of the world (except those pro-Axis) turn against you.  So you cannot, for instance, attack Amur, Olgiy, Dzavhan, Ulaanbaatar and Buyant-Uhaa simultaniously to kill off all the Russian and soon to be Russian units.  You would have to wait for Japan’s next round.

My question is, if you take Amur by sea with absolutely NO UNITS from Korea or Manchuria.  On your next game turn, can you reinforce from Korea/Manchuria without making Mongolia go red?  Since it is not being attacked from Manchuria and Korea, I would think you can, but it could still be seen as “flanking” Mongolia so maybe you cannot.

Page 41 on Larry’s site states that the Non-Aggression rule is going to be changed too:

Soviet/Japanese Non Aggression Pact:
    If the Japanese attack any Soviet territory that is adjacent to any Mongolian territory, all Mongolian territories (Olgiy, Dzavhan, Tsagaan-Olom, Central Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, and Buyant-Uhaa) are placed under the control of the Soviet Union at the end of the Japanese Combat Move phase, in the same manner as though the Soviet Union had moved land units into a friendly neutral territory. These territories have Soviet control markers placed on them, and their standing army units are placed on the board and are controlled by the Soviet Union player from then on. This occurs regardless of the state of relations between the Soviet Union and Japan at the time of the attack, with one exception. If the Soviet Union attacks any Japanese-controlled territory bordering these Mongolian territories while Mongolia is still neutral, Mongolia will remain neutral and not ally itself with the Soviet Union.

Keep it in mind!  Adjust your tactics if you need too.

• Question:

Turn 2: Japan declares war on the United states, attacks their fleet in sea zone 47 (coast of New Guinea).
    The United States is now no longer neutral, however, UK and Anzac have not declared war yet and are neutral, can I land surviving air units in z47 onto New Guinea?

The US can not normally land in New Guinea because they are a neutral power normally on turn 2. Since the war status is immediate, can I land survivors on New Guinea?

Or are the UK and Anzac considered neutrals, and as such, the US is not allowed to land in a neutral territory?

The only work around I see, is for India and Anzac to declare war on turn 1.

What if it was turn 3 when Japan attacks-UK/Anzac Neutral, and the territory was Dutch New Guinea sea zone 45?

New Guinea is dutch.  Holland is not an ally of Japan, so no.  You can take it, however. (Still cannot land there, due to just taking it this round.)

• Official Q&A

Being at war, the US can land surviving air units in UK, ANZAC, or Dutch territories.  UK and ANZAC are not neutral, as they are at war with Germany and Italy, so they do not suffer the restrictions of neutral powers.

• @Cmdr:

New Guinea is dutch.  Holland is not an ally of Japan, so no.  You can take it, however. (Still cannot land there, due to just taking it this round.)

Actually, US cannot take Dutch possessions unless “liberating” them from Japan then they can own them I believe. Dutch territories are allied spaces, like French Indo China is, or any Pro-allied neutral that survives a failed axis attack(Yugoslavia or Greece for example). Any ally can land there non combat if I understand correctly.

There is a special rule for UK/Anzac to “take” their Dutch allies IPCs as there own through a “special” rulebook defined “non-combat” move. Allied planes can land on Dutch zones, while they are still Dutch as well I believe.

Thanks Kevin and Jen, I was just checking for a new idea I had. My crazy ideas are now available for review in the play by forum and tournament threads.

• '12

Soviet/Japanese Non Aggression Pact:
    If the Japanese attack any Soviet territory that is adjacent to any Mongolian territory, all Mongolian territories (Olgiy, Dzavhan, Tsagaan-Olom, Central Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, and Buyant-Uhaa) are placed under the control of the Soviet Union at the end of the Japanese Combat Move phase, in the same manner as though the Soviet Union had moved land units into a friendly neutral territory. These territories have Soviet control markers placed on them, and their standing army units are placed on the board and are controlled by the Soviet Union player from then on. This occurs regardless of the state of relations between the Soviet Union and Japan at the time of the attack, with one exception. If the Soviet Union attacks any Japanese-controlled territory bordering these Mongolian territories while Mongolia is still neutral, Mongolia will remain neutral and not ally itself with the Soviet Union.

I’m slightly confused by this.  I think it is meant to say that if Russia attacks Japan in the bordering territories first, Mongolia will not activate in the game at all.  But then there is that “regardless of the state of relations between the Soviet Union and Japan at the time of the attack” bit, which can be interpreted to mean that Japan can retake its lost territories, but pushing into Russia will still activate Mongolia, even if Russia attacked first.

Or…does it mean if the Russians attack Japan first, but not near Mongolia, that Mongolia will still activate if Japan counter attacks in one of the Russian territories next to Mongolia?

@JamesAleman:

@Cmdr:

New Guinea is dutch.  Holland is not an ally of Japan, so no.  You can take it, however. (Still cannot land there, due to just taking it this round.)

Actually, US cannot take Dutch possessions unless “liberating” them from Japan then they can own them I believe. Dutch territories are allied spaces, like French Indo China is, or any Pro-allied neutral that survives a failed axis attack(Yugoslavia or Greece for example). Any ally can land there non combat if I understand correctly.

There is a special rule for UK/Anzac to “take” their Dutch allies IPCs as there own through a “special” rulebook defined “non-combat” move. Allied planes can land on Dutch zones, while they are still Dutch as well I believe.

Thanks Kevin and Jen, I was just checking for a new idea I had. My crazy ideas are now available for review in the play by forum and tournament threads.

Little hard since your game is over. lol

• Official Q&A

@moralecheck:

Or…does it mean if the Russians attack Japan first, but not near Mongolia, that Mongolia will still activate if Japan counter attacks in one of the Russian territories next to Mongolia?

That’s what it means.

• '12

Perfect thanks.  So if Russia attacks Japan from a territory border mongolia, then mongolia will not activate at all, even if Japan pushes back into Russia.

• Can Japan build a major IC in Chinese territory they originally controlled at the start of the game?

• Just found this…

@Krieghund:

Territories with Chinese symbols printed on them are original Chinese territories, so Japan may not build major ICs on them.

@Tyzoq:

Can Japan build a major IC in Chinese territory they originally controlled at the start of the game?

No, as you found.  Japan can ONLY build a major complex in Korea or upgrade the complex in Japan to a major complex should they liberate their homeland.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

It is my understanding that you cannot load your transport if it starts in a sea zone with enemy ships.

Does that include SUBS?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Also,

Can you ATTACK your own pro-blank neutrals?  And yes there is a reason to do this and it’s important…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m