• Customizer

My two cents:

I agree that it’s still too early to tell whether it’s easier for Axis to win in 42 than 41.  My own test grouping is way too small to tell, and even beyond that - time makes the difference.

• @Viracocha:

My two cents:

I agree that it’s still too early to tell whether it’s easier for Axis to win in 42 than 41.  My own test grouping is way too small to tell, and even beyond that - time makes the difference.

Yeah.  I would just say too, that when I start a game of '42 with someone, there’s no argument about who takes what side.  If we both want the same side, we bid, and the bids have always been less than 10.  So if everyone I’ve played with, including myself, feel we’ve got a pretty much equal shot at winning with either side, and our decision has more to do with which side we feel like playing than whether we will win at all, then I think that’s more evidence that a huge advantage does not exist.

Like I said, I don’t play much '41 (I know this is under the '41 thread - sorry) but when I did play one recently, I noticed how much more difficult it is for Russia.  It’s so much easier in '42 when Russia goes right before Germany, and UK and US go after Germany.  The big NO is much, much easier to get in 1942.  Also, in '42 the Germans create can openers for the Italians.  In '41 the Italians and Japs create them for the Germans.  Big difference.  Very big difference.

• Hi, all!

Thanks to BigDog for great thinking outside of the box.

I had what was propably the best game so far yesterday. I wanted to apply this strategy, and did so with the US. Unfortunately, my co-player (UK & Russia) wanted to go a little more extreme into India, buying a factory and later 2 Battleships and 1Carrier. Ferrying the 2Fighters from London via Moscow to land on the Carrier. The Japanese player did not se this coming… He did manage the usual and occupy the entire Pacific, but being too spread out caught between the UK and US fleet he had  to retreat towards the mainland for naval reinforcements. Japan did not contribute towards capturing Moscow. The UK fleet was destroyed, with India being captured. But this allowed the US to retake all of the Islands and capture all Jap islands as well. Japan mainland was taken, and the fleet utterly destroyed when racing back to liberate Japan. The best naval battle ever!!  :mrgreen:
    Unfortunately this led to Italy and Germany sharing Africa and the Russian territories after Italy had an income of 44 on its peak (34+2 nat obj) and Germany scoring around 60 - objectives included.
    This led to a combined effort on London, I believe we held out 4 assaults before Germany finally succeded in occupying London.

So in retrospect i believe that this was a bit too much of an “all out” in the Pacific. Containing Japan led to Italy reaching new heights, and I believe that it is much better for the Allies to secure Africa and contain Italy. Also leaving a strong fleet in the Atlantic to be able to support Russia if need be. Either directly on Russian soil, or maintaining a possibillity to invade France/Italy. The US was not able to liberate Australia, Borneo and East Indies before Africa was totally occupied, leaving UK with a few rounds of very little income. Holding Africa with the intent of liberating India later on seems to me like a stronger option.

Finding the right moment to strike at Japan still eludes me, and I am very much looking forward to the next game where I will certainly try something else than a KGF.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m