• I guess a morale tracker like that might work….but it’s going to tempt players to not make attacks…which WWI was about, in a grand sense, but not so much on the ground.
    We see pictures of men sitting in trenches and think it was a defensive war, but we know that those men charged out of those trenches frequently.

I would hate to see a game mechanic that punishes action.
    My idea is more of a war weariness shot clock that you are subject to if you are in a losing position.

• Customizer

I also have a universal morale reducer after each year of war.

-1 at the end of year one

-2 at the end of year two, and so on.

In the end, nearly every county should be just hanging on.

• That being the case, would countries suffer penalties as their morale score falls down the ladder?

For instance, lose a die roll of IPCs per turn if your morale falls below 20
    Lose d6 infantry if your morale falls below 30
    So on and so forth.

These penalties could stack all the way up to…70 maybe, when you have a revolution on your hands.

Each power, instead of having NO’s might have a list of nation specific morale penalties, such as

United Kingdom: Automatically lose 10 Morale if you have no surface warships on the board at the end of your turn
    France: Automatically lose 10 Morale if you hold no overseas colonies
    Germany: Automatically lose 10 morale if you have no naval units

So on and so forth.

• Customizer

I have 2 stages - disorder & revolution

In disorder you have to make a mutiny roll for every army ordered to move/attack

In revolution you are effectively out of the game, unless you manage to wipe out red units and restore the ancient regime.

• @Flashman:

I also have a universal morale reducer after each year of war.

-1 at the end of year one

-2 at the end of year two, and so on.

In the end, nearly every county should be just hanging on.

I dont think the real world works that way. Some nations just keep on fighting to the bitter end, while others just surrender for nothing. I figure it has something to do with the current leaders. Kaizer Wilhelm surrendered easily when Hitler would fight to the dead. Halifax wanted to surrender, but Churchill would fight to the dead. The same people, the same nation, but different leaders. Look at Vietnam before 1945, always a slave to others. Then they got Ho Chi Ming, and he told people to fight, so they kicked out the French, then the Americans, and then the Japs, etc But how to make this a game mechanic that works, only Larry know how, man

• Customizer

Larry big man. He knows everything. He designed the game. Smart.

But I maintain that by 1918 everyone had had enough. The Kaizer really had no choice, Germany was falling apart. The navy refused to sail, the people were starving, their Allies had all dropped out.

It was game over Hans, despite the fact that Germany was unoccupied and in fact held 200% more tt than it started with, and that their enemies were further away from Berlin than when they started.

The fact that Halifax wanted to do a deal with Hitler is precisely why he didn’t become PM - the country wouldn’t have tolerated it.

• With neutrals invadable, it will be interesting to see the western front develope, as everything from Holland, Switzerland and even Denmark are suddenly possible battle grounds.

• Customizer

This is as far as I can take the map without more info.

Cleaned up some of the area names to correct anachronisms, but keeping those we know are in the official game such as Belarus.

Mexico probably isn’t in there; Montenegro might be, but it doesn’t look like it.

Might be another SZ in the north (Arctic), but wouldn’t really effect much.

Southern Russia looks silly whatever I do, we’ll just have to accept this given the capital rules Larry has described.

Just as we’ll have to live with the Topkapi tank factory, and US fighters flying across the Atlantic, something that no powered aircraft managed until after the war. And no Anzacs.  :cry:

Oh well.

Axis&Allies1914FullMapSquare.PNG

• I think India and Anzac will be represented as English units mobilized in Bombay. What other reason could there be for the map stretching over to India. There must be some kind of mechanic for English ground units to enter through Bombay. Could just be an inf or two each round, but the UK will need to have ground units enter the game from that edge of the map to resupply, and not get over run. I also think the Canadians will be able to offer some inf too. I see it as a special rule for the English Empire getting support from the Commonwealth in some form.

BTW thanks for taking a stab at how the map may look Flash.  I know it would be a lot of work going through Larry’s posts, counting the inf stacks from the pro-mo pic (blowing it up), and try to see some of the boundaries and sz’s  etc….

• Customizer

Let me know if you see any errors.

Another concern I had was that the war in Africa will just fizzle out if you cannot recruit more native troops; nobody will bother shipping units down there.

We’ll have to see what the German report brings in.

• Yep his reports are pretty cool and answer some questions. Also looking forward to the Germans, then France and UK go back to back I believe.

• '12

Oh my. Flashman, that “Dogs of War” postcard at the bottom left of your imagined map is hilarious. Nice touch!

Yrs.,
    R.

• Africa just looks like it’s there for the Germans to take away some of Great Britians income for a turn or two. There is no way Germany can last longer than two turns, but they’ll get the chance to take away some of GB and France’s income for a turn or two. I don’t see it fizziling out, the Allies definetly have enough units to finish off the germans after a turn or two.

• Customizer

Some more tinkering: lots of new Icons, IL will love this!

Reading between the lines, I’m guessing that L. has given East Prussia to Poland a whole 30 years too early. This looks terrible, is completely wrong historically, and might just cost him a sale to this customer.

Added the 3 Submarine Interdiction zones (I think in the right SZs).

Added mine symbols to what I’m guessing are the appropriate SZs, leaving out those south of Suez.

Added 4 flags for each power, representing simplified National Objectives. These consist of 3 coveted land tts and 1 vital SZ each. The exception is America, which  has no NOs as such other than protecting trade and hunting down Pancho Villa.

These could be used to provide IPC bonuses as per previous NOs, or as morale boosters for the folks back home.

Axis&Allies1914FullMapNBs.PNG

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Wow, that’s an extensively accurate detail of Madagascar.

Thank you! LOL…

(Great job Flash)

• Customizer

With Africa so distorted I thought square lines would be good enough…

Wait 'till we see IL’s new map; I’ll be all over that.

• My map is a normal view of Europe. Not 45 degree angle thing.

Also, it covers only the top of Africa, so no Madagascar.

I developed an add on map along time ago, but this is really another game.

• Customizer

I look forward to seeing it.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

If Russia is that open, I will be disappointed.

In my heart of hearts I was hoping it would be based on hexagons…. ah, well, one can only wish.

• You know i did make two other Great War games with hexes. Not a good experience combining hexes with pieces. Inspiration was the game Guns of August

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m