• How do you guys keep your pieces organized?

I just bought A&A 1942 and now I see that each nation’s pieces are just mixed together in bag–nothing with compartments to separate battleships from destroyers from infantry etc.

Do you guys just keep everything mixed together, or have you come up with some means by which to keep the different unit types separate?

• '12

I went to a local dollar store and got 6 small plastic boxes with clear lids, 5 for the 5 countries and 1 (perhaps a bit larger) for AA/IC units and chip markers and maybe dice.  I have about 50 dice with 4-5 colours available, its nice to be able to roll your 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s all at once, just no fist fights cause you swore you said green dice were highs!  Just ensure they are small enough that all will fit inside the original game box.  You will probably want extra white/red/blue chips, we always seem to need more than what came with the game.  I have a few versions of AA so am flush with chips and extra units when required.

• I use a simple fishing tackle box.  It’s got a lot of different sub-compartments.

The elaborate sort take up a lot of room, but if you shop around, you can get one without all the bulky handles and stuff, but WITH removable dividers; that’s what I use.

• '12

I have paper money for IPCs from other versions, the small ‘Tupperware’ boxes I use also are just big enough to get the paper money inside and snap the top on, the bills curve but don’t fold.  For the allies in particular it works well as the 3 country ‘boxes’ stack neatly giving room to roll dice.  Our house rules state ‘No dice shall be leaning on an angle nor have any part on anything other than either the table or the map board’.  So no dice landing on a scrap of paper with notes or bank notes.  Perhaps a bit anal-retentive but it avoids arguments and has been a rule for a couple of decades.  The drawback is you really need free space to roll a battle.

It’s also nice to get your builds laid out in advance while your opponent is doing his turn, placing them behind those little containers out of his eyesight won’t tip him off to an unanticipated build!

• I have custom divided wood boxes for mine.

Of course, there’s also this option … http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=19009.0

• @Bunnies:

I use a simple fishing tackle box.  It’s got a lot of different sub-compartments.

Holy @##$%. And I thought I was the only genius to use a fisherman’s box! Gratz Bunny!
    Yup, these boxes are perfect, because they have a lot of compartments, of different sizes.

• I use Flambeau Zerust Tuff-Tainer 5004 plastic storage boxes with movable dividers to store my A&A pieces (from all the games, arranged in groups by countries).  I store the boxes in a row of assemble-them-yourself wooden shelving units, which I keep under my gaming table.  If you go here…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20658.0

…and check out the first picture (“Overall View.JPG”), you’ll get a partial view of the shelving units and plastic storage boxes under the table.

• '16 Customizer

I’ve handpainted my pieces, so they need a little bit more protection. Thus, I’ve created (am creating) boxes lined with felt with dividers for each individual unit’s size (ex: a compartment for ACs, for infantry, etc.) Then I paint or contact paper some roundels on top of the box, depending on which nations are contained. Voila!

• A little bit of varnish goes a long way, either with a brush or sprayed on.  If you haven’t tried varnish already, try some on the pieces that you consider relatively not-so-well painted.

• I think it is a good idea of painting so easy to use.

• '16 Customizer

Yes, right now my pieces have a satin enamel sprayed on… I find that it goes a long way towards protecting them, but every once in a while they chip. Plus, the containers look snazzy and professional- it’s sort of a “project” I decided to take on.  :-)

• i found these boxes in the back of an office max, they were perfect from the moment i saw them, they are also made in the UK. GO ENGLAND.

• '16 Customizer

To sum it all up for you speusippus, I think it’s up to you. There’s definently some boxes out there that will work to divide your pieces…go check you local crafts store. If you what a little nicer, make your own like me or rorschach. Do what you want!

• Yup, its all a matter of how hard you want to look. For me i just checked out the local office supplies and hobby stores until i found a set of boxes that worked fine

• '13

zip lock bags……;)

• The only problem with ziplock bags is that they don’t look nice  :mrgreen:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m