• @kilroynothere:

French IPC question

First, my apologies if something like this has already been discussed. A situation occurred in my last game that I’d like clarification on if anyone can shed some light.

US player takes Normandy. German and Italy could not take it back on their turn. Britain reinforces on their turn. On the next US turn, it is assumed that the US player can build 3 at the minor IC in Normandy as France is still under German control. Here’s the issue, US attacks France and wins. At that point, France is liberated and the Normandy IC can no longer be considered US and therefore cannot be built out of. Is that correct?

And now it even gets more confusing. The Germans take back France their next turn (even with the 4 extra french INF) which then reverts Normandy back to US. But, there are now only UK troops in Normandy. Who gets Normandy and could UK or US then build out of it on their turn after Germany has taken France back?

I realize this is complicated, but someone must have been through this scenario before.

Thanks for your time.

If Germany retakes France, Normandy remains French, just like Madagascar remains French once France is taken on G1.

As for the 1st question, I think you can’t build, and I believe that’s the only situation where you’d build more than you have slots available

• '22 '21 '19 '18 '17 '16

Thanks Calvin. Still a little confused though. If UK is currently occupying Normandy when France is taken back by Germany, would that allow UK to build there?  They have been occupying for a full turn.

• @kilroynothere:

Thanks Calvin. Still a little confused though. If UK is currently occupying Normandy when France is taken back by Germany, would that allow UK to build there?  They have been occupying for a full turn.

Calvin’s right, first of all.

No, UK couldn’t build there.

Here’s the deal.  You can only control a territory (and build there) that was originally one of your Ally’s when YOU TAKE IT OVER WHEN the capital is currently under enemy control.  If Germany takes Paris back, the French territories STAY FRENCH.  It’s when the Allies liberate Paris that all French original territories pop back to being French again, and the Allies can no longer build on those factories (that are on original French ground).

• '22 '21 '19 '18 '17 '16

Now I think I understand!  Because France was liberated, Normandy is now French and until an Axis takes the territory it will remain French. Therefore, although UK is there, they do not get the IPCs.

I guess the moral of the story is when you do liberate France, you better make sure you can hold it for a bunch of reasons.

Thanks to you both.

• Quick question on aircraft overflight: can planes overfly an enemy country’s territory before war is declared during either combat moves or noncombat moves? E.g. can a Japanese plane overfly a British territory before these two countries are at war or does the overflight trigger/require a declaration of war? Thanks!

• @Jmite:

Quick question on aircraft overflight: can planes overfly an enemy country’s territory before war is declared during either combat moves or noncombat moves? E.g. can a Japanese plane overfly a British territory before these two countries are at war or does the overflight trigger/require a declaration of war? Thanks!

No. [Edit: see official response a few posts down]

See page 15 AA Europe rulebook blue side box labeled “Powers That Begin the Game Neutral”, second paragraph, second sentence “…, nor can another power move land or air units into its territories or onto its ships…”

• @JamesAleman:

@Jmite:

Quick question on aircraft overflight: can planes overfly an enemy country’s territory before war is declared during either combat moves or noncombat moves? E.g. can a Japanese plane overfly a British territory before these two countries are at war or does the overflight trigger/require a declaration of war? Thanks!

No.

See page 15 AA Europe rulebook blue side box labeled “Powers That Begin the Game Neutral”, second paragraph, second sentence “…, nor can another power move land or air units into its territories or onto its ships…”

Well, he’s asking about flying over a territory, which I think you can do, but I’m not certain

• Official Q&A

Foreign air units, friendly or otherwise, may not fly over the territories or land on the carriers of a power that is neutral (not at war with anyone).  A neutral power’s air units may not fly over territories or land on carriers that do not belong to it.  Allied air units belonging to powers not at war with Japan may not fly over original Chinese territories (regardless of who currently controls them).  No air units may fly over neutral territories, unless it is to attack them.  Any other movement of air units is allowed.

To answer Jmite’s specific question, a Japanese plane may fly over a UK territory (and vice versa) in either combat or noncombat movement before they’re at war with each other, because neither Japan nor UK is neutral.  Japan is at war with (at least) China, and UK is at war with Germany and Italy.

• @Krieghund:

Foreign air units, friendly or otherwise, may not fly over the territories or land on the carriers of a power that is neutral (not at war with anyone).  A neutral power’s air units may not fly over territories or land on carriers that do not belong to it.

Wow.  Thanks for asking the question, Jmite, I hadn’t thought about this situation yet.

In summary, the only powers that start the game neutral are USSR and USA.  So these powers can not fly over any non-USSR or USA territories until at war with an Axis power, and Allies cannot fly over USSR or USA territories until USSR or USA is at war with an Axis power.

• @gamerman01:

@Krieghund:

Foreign air units, friendly or otherwise, may not fly over the territories or land on the carriers of a power that is neutral (not at war with anyone).  A neutral power’s air units may not fly over territories or land on carriers that do not belong to it.

Wow.  Thanks for asking the question, Jmite, I hadn’t thought about this situation yet.

In summary, the only powers that start the game neutral are USSR and USA.  So these powers can not fly over any non-USSR or USA territories until at war with an Axis power, and Allies cannot fly over USSR or USA territories until USSR or USA is at war with an Axis power.

You forgot China

• Sorry about that, I believed UK was neutral to Japan until a declaration of war. So in Global they can because they are at war with an ally who is at war with them. I guess they can’t in just Pacific since they are neutral in that version?

• Official Q&A

It’s the same in Pacific.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

You forgot China

Calvin, you nitpicker.  What do you mean I forgot China?  China starts at war with Japan.

• @Krieghund:

It’s the same in Pacific.

Yeah, UK and ANZAC are still at war with Germany.  Just because you’re only playing half of the war does not change that fact.

• @gamerman01:

@calvinhobbesliker:

You forgot China

Calvin, you nitpicker.  What do you mean I forgot China?  China starts at war with Japan.

UK can’t fly units over China until at war with Japan

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@gamerman01:

@calvinhobbesliker:

You forgot China

Why not?  China is not neutral.  UK is not neutral.

• @gamerman01:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@gamerman01:

@calvinhobbesliker:

You forgot China

The special China rules. Just like how UK can’t enter China until at war with Japan, even though both powers are at war

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@gamerman01:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@gamerman01:

@calvinhobbesliker:

You forgot China

The special China rules. Just like how UK can’t enter China until at war with Japan, even though both powers are at war

But a flyover isn’t the same as entering, is it? (And can you possibly think of an example when the UK would ever fly over Chinese territory when not at war with Japan?  That’s why I call it nitpicking)

• @gamerman01:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@gamerman01:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@gamerman01:

@calvinhobbesliker:

You forgot China

But a flyover isn’t the same as entering, is it? (And can you possibly think of an example when the UK would ever fly over Chinese territory when not at war with Japan?  That’s why I call it nitpicking)

They would do it to enter Russia or Hong Kong

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Yes, UK entering China is considered an act of war by Japan.  But what is the definition of “entering”?  I wouldn’t think a fly-over is “entering”.  Is this clarified in the P40 FAQ?  Point me to the exact statement on a page number in the manual or a specific Q&A on the FAQ.  I have never seen anything that specifically states a fly-over over China is an act of war or is unallowed by the UK.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m