• @shadowhawk I think it absolutely is a game of skill. Otherwise, it would be a game of luck, which it partially is due to the dice. But mostly, it takes strategy.

• @Nuts said in Is there a world champion for this game?:

@shadowhawk I think it absolutely is a game of skill. Otherwise, it would be a game of luck, which it partially is due to the dice. But mostly, it takes strategy.

It takes both, some battles you can have bad luck and recover, others if you get diced you lose the game.
    Especialy naval battles if your opponent gambles and wins your screwed because the costs of the fleet.
    Ofcourse if you make 2 many mistakes you also lose even with good dice, but bad dice can make a difference in every game regardless or skill.

• @shadowhawk

That’s why Iike low luck. More predictable. Perhaps that would be the way to go for a hypothetical world championship.

• @SuperbattleshipYamato said in Is there a world champion for this game?:

@shadowhawk

That’s why Iike low luck. More predictable. Perhaps that would be the way to go for a hypothetical world championship.

True but then that does not test a players skill to addapt to changing situations.
    If all combat is pre-determined you never have unplanned situations.

• @shadowhawk I’m with you here. Low luck takes out all ability to have unplanned combat and surprise the enemy.

• @shadowhawk I think categorizing A&A as “as much a game of luck as a game of skill” is selling the system short, especially at the highest levels of play that you’re discussing here. It’s possible to lose because of bad dice, of course, but swingy-outcomes decrease with sample size, and so the “luck” factor in A&A decreases when:

• skill level is high and therefore battles are more often one-sided
    • experience level is high and therefore odds calculations and expectations are much more accurate (this is more about ‘perceived’ luck)
    • battles are larger (more rolls = less swing)
    • within each game as the battles pile up
    • over the course of a whole tournament where multiple games are played

Gary’s videos that @phd_angel linked above are great examples of all of these factors.

While there will always be cases of great players knocked out early in a tournament due to bad dice, this will still usually require being matched up with a similarly skilled player getting good dice, because it will require a skilled player to capitalize quickly on those advantages before the good player can adjust.

I think players with differing skill levels will be sorted out over the course of any tournament involving multiple games & rounds, especially if isn’t single elimination (like this year’s world championships at Gen Con). Requiring players to play two games (one from each side) with identical bids can be a good way to mitigate the effects of luck. In any tournament, whether it’s chess or ping pong, you’ll see a great team or two knocked out early and a mediocre team or two going father than they should on paper… but if you look at quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals you’ll almost always find highly skilled teams duking it out.

• @vodot

Agreed.

• @vodot That is absolutely true. Perhaps the idea of an international tournament with a world champion isn’t so far fetched. Though there should probably be a prize pool and pay to enter. Maybe a full set of every A&A game released or the title of head playtester for new games. Also, I imagine a tournament every 4 years would make sense, as it would give time for practice.

• @Nuts

Great idea!

@vodot That is absolutely true. Perhaps the idea of an international tournament with a world champion isn’t so far fetched. Though there should probably be a prize pool and pay to enter. Maybe a full set of every A&A game released or the title of head playtester for new games. Also, I imagine a tournament every 4 years would make sense, as it would give time for practice.

International Tournamen? Sure lets do it in Europe as this is where we played this game IRL for 5 years right. There are some huge boardgame fairs in europe ( biggest 1 in the world ).
    But really its not a game that many people would watch as a sports. Its pretty slow going and with dice there is a pretty decent luck element involved.
    Every sports event is based on pure skill games so far, chess, e-sports, olympics, snooker. Big spectator sports dont have a chance element in them, and dont take 10-12 hours for a game :P

So who would organize or even sponsor this? The people that would come and watch are people that already play the game, hardly no new people will be attracted if any, merchandise is also not big for these kind of things either.

• @shadowhawk

Let’s just hope some multi billionaire picks up this game.

@shadowhawk

Let’s just hope some multi billionaire picks up this game.

Still how many people would fly for 10 hours to play in a boardgame tournament?
    The costs far outweigh the price.
    And the game takes 10-16 hours each, so its going to be a long tournament.

There are not many sports that have world tournaments anyway.
    Olympics and soccer are the big tournaments and they are mostly state sponsored.

• PantherP Panther moved this topic from Axis & Allies Global 1940 on

• @shadowhawk

If people do it for chess, surely at least some people would do it for Axis and Allies.

And I feel like online play would be sufficient. Just need to schedule and arrange all the players.

• True. However, to some, the feel and movement of the real game is proffered by some.

@shadowhawk

If people do it for chess, surely at least some people would do it for Axis and Allies.

And I feel like online play would be sufficient. Just need to schedule and arrange all the players.

Its also a question of who would like to watch these games.

If nobody is watching then there will be no world championship because nobody would sponsor it.

Chess hardly gets any press coverage and dont even think they got regular world championships. And lets be honest, chess is a pretty well known game where A&A brand is pretty obscure. Its like what arthouse movies are to boardgames.
    Good quality but small audience.

• @shadowhawk

I agree. Nothing we can do, I guess.

• @SuperbattleshipYamato sad but true. If renegade sponsored an official tournament, however, we could host a set of prelims at game conventions around the world, leading to continental tournaments, leading up to a championship game. This is different to chess, however, where they have multiple tournaments.

@SuperbattleshipYamato sad but true. If renegade sponsored an official tournament, however, we could host a set of prelims at game conventions around the world, leading to continental tournaments, leading up to a championship game. This is different to chess, however, where they have multiple tournaments.

The problem is who is we? Im pretty sure there are many players that dont even know of this site or use it.
    I didnt go looking but im sure there will be other websites with either a part of their site/forum or just completely based on 1 or multiple A&A games.
    You also have the playerbase on steam that might only look there.

• @Nuts

👍👍

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m