Allied Playbook - G40 Collection of Essays - Compiled by jacobgeo24 Nov 18-19 2023

• @SuperbattleshipYamato I think he’s already answered it. When the timing is right, if ever.

• @AndrewAAGamer Ah thank you so much, this is really helpful!

• I have done more research on Allied Strategy by reading, watching videos, ect. and I have seen some differentiation when it comes to managing Russia. Some play an aggressive, counterattacking Russia, such as GHG said in his Russia Strategy Video, while others like to preserve units and tactically retreat to bring the Germans farther away from their capitol in the direction of Moscow. Should we build more aggressive and push north to Norway or let the US and UK do that? What is the best role of Russia as a member of the game? This differs from person to person the way I have seen it done.

I would like to know from whoever is reading this, what if your preferred Russia Strat, to be aggressive, neutral, or conservative when it comes to playing, and what is a good general purpose buy for Russia for different German openings, such as G1 Barbarossa, Sealion, or an anticipated G3 or I2 attack.

I know some it’s all infantry, all tanks, a mix of inf and art, tactical bomber, I want to know what you all think.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Yeah, I have seen/read some of the advice to be more aggressive. That doesn’t work against a solid player. All the top players build infantry, lots of it.

Until you know Germany is going for Sealion or building a fleet to contest the Atlantic Russia should build either 12 infantry, save 1 (12, 12, 13) conservative, OR 11 infantry + 1 artillery moderate, OR 7 infantry, 4 artillery aggressive.

This is the most aggressive you should be till you know if Germany is coming after Moscow heavy or not.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

Obviously, I concur with Andrew. I would say that the position of those units depends on the Germans. If they drop a navy first turn or build all air to counter Gibastion, that must be punished. If the Russian player is turtling while England is suffering or even being booted out of the game, the German is playing you for a fool and turtling back to Moscow is just waiting to die.

In a recent BBR game I made E Poland radioactive by pushing everything to the front. In very rare cases, I (not a championship player) would replace the artillery with mechs placed in Ukraine and Nov and planes in Moscow. This is very rare. The German player was doing what I call adventuring in the Atlantic and the N Africa.

• @crockett36

Sorry, didn’t notice that. 👍

• @AndrewAAGamer

Thank you for the advice! I didn’t really know what were the best opening buys for the Soviets.

• @AndrewAAGamer Thank you for the advice, I got an G40 tournament on the 8th and my friend is taking command of USSR so I want to get him the best advice on what to open on, he has never successfully taken control of Russia in a game before, he has lost Moscow all times he has been Russia, and he is confident he can hold this time and I know this advice will help! Thank you and thank you @crockett36

• Hi @jacobgeo24

Would you share some info on the tournament ? :)

• @barnee Sure, it is a local tournament at my neighbors house which we are playing on 3 Friday’s the 8th, 15th, and 22nd. It is a bunch of us High School kids getting together to play G40 and those Fridays are the ones that have worked for everyone. I and another friend will be taking the Allies for the game on Dec 8th and the rest of the games are to be determined

• A main reason for creating this thread and making the Allied Playbook PDF was to prepare for this tournament as I haven’t played the Allies in so long and I had seen so many contrasting and conflicting strategies from so many different people, so I decided to create a playbook of all these ideas so I could look at them and go over them much more easily and hopefully develop my own strategy for G40 as the allies since I have the Axis down pretty well.

• @jacobgeo24 Awesome :) Would be cool if you do another thread with a Game reports of how it all goes.

Where are you guys located ?

• @barnee Sure I’ll try to do a game report, we are in CT so kind of far from a lot of the Axis and Allies Action in the North West and British Columbia which is where I hear alot of AandA people live

• @jacobgeo24 heh heh mostly N America and Europe but there everywhere :)

Have Fun Gaming :)

• @barnee Thanks!

• @jacobgeo24

May I bounce in with my two cents… You get a hard time playing Allies OOB without bid. IMO they are even further handicapped more than Axis by playing it as physical multi-player boardgame because of the lack of a battle calculator (I assume so) needed for solid defense setup and because coordination is much more crucial for Allies. Thus my advices are

• focus on fun and fellowship even more than victory

• don’t let someone bore out by playing only Russia

• Allies should keep it simple, do only overwhelming attacks and shift/seek their aggressiveness into/in smart strong positioning. Overall secure London, then Moscow, then India and Iraq - be both flexible and focused. Don’t lose Gibraltar or Egypt. Have Western Allies’ planes in Europe that can be also at Moscow in time. And going more into detail: Consider if it counters Axis’ moves and serves your purpose well when you go with planes defending on the route (a) London (b/c) Gib (d) sz99 [Crete] (e) Moscow. btw UK planes can fly to Moscow within two turns if they land on US carriers in sz92 (Western to Gibs) or sz97 which then move to sz99

• Have transports with ground units with your fleets just for creating threats!!

• I personally indeed found for playing the physical boardgame without usual bidding that a great but easy tweak is starting the game with French Turn Zero! Allowedly this severely impacts German opening and default strategies, but is adding a nice portion of balance in both odds and initiative.

• Last but not least I like tech on when casually playing face to face. This is offering an interesting way to deal with different levels of skills, too: Agree on a number of free tech rolls granted to the supposedly weaker player(s)

• @pacifiersboard said in Allied Playbook - G40 Collection of Essays - Compiled by jacobgeo24 Nov 18-19 2023:

I personally indeed found for playing the physical boardgame without usual bidding that a great but easy tweak is starting the game with French Turn Zero! Allowedly this severely impacts German opening and default strategies, but is adding a nice portion of balance in both odds and initiative.

Nice ! I think I’ll add it as a triplea option for those that play digitally. At least I think I can :)

• @pacifiersboard

Thank you for the mentions. That is a great thread and a lot of big names chimed in on my whattsapp. I believe I read that thread on my youtube channel. I have several games of France goes first on my channel as well. It is fun, though by the third time, the Axis players were ready for it and neutralized the advantage by turn 2. Still by that time, Japan had spent itself on a gambit and was on its way down down down.

I also have a Russia for dummies, which is a basic turtle. I believe you end up with around 93 to 100 troops in Moscow. I forget who the genius who said, “Don’t lose Moscow…cheaply!”

I really appreciate your comments to these young men on how to enjoy this game. Technology is definitely an undiscovered country for many here, and it does add soooooo much to the game from variety to historicity. But I digress into an old rant. As in life, we need new blood and this hobby is actually a “good” hobby, grounding the next generation in the courage of the greatest generation. I fear they may need it.

• @crockett36 https://youtu.be/ctpBvxkps2k? si=gIZKutZ3J3rd77DU

I did a video and showed the videos mentioned above sans my technology videos.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m