Frood AACalc Dicey / Sim / Odds Calculator: Updates and Opinions

• 2007 AAR League

Hey Dan!

If you are looking for another opportunity to rant at someone….  :-D

I know you are just sitting around with nothing to do besides listen to whining from ungrateful users so I thought I would give you something to do. :-D

I like both the text box entry format and the individual unit boxes but as I use each method I realize that what I am doing is mousing then keyboarding, mousing then keyboarding.  It would be really nice if I could add or delete units just by mousing, especially when I’m using your awesome website :mrgreen: to examine the odds of potential attacks.

Is it possible to have the text entry blank and the individual boxes on the same page and have increment/decrement buttons next to each unit type?

This would allow a cut and paste text string entry to then be modified by a series of “what if I brought an extra tank, fighter, battleship” clicks.

So, uh, since you are just sitting around doing nothing but waiting for my brilliant ideas, I was wondering if you would have this up and running by Friday?

:evil: :evil: :evil:

• 2007 AAR League

CURSE YOU! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!

Just kidding.  :-D :-D :-D

I have thought of something like that in the past. Two problems:

• It would require javascript, which I know nothing about and don’t have time to learn
    • It would make the form really really “busy” and I am trying to clean it up.

The single text entry line was actually designed to eliminate all the switching between mousing and keyboarding - you could edit everything just with the keyboard. It also greatly shortens the URL as the form does not pass variables for each unit type for each side.

If someone can design in a paint program an image of a nice slick interface that somehow incorporates what you are talking about, I’d consider trying to implement it.

I’m actually feeling more inclined again to just have the single text line. People will figure it out. The individual unit entry boxes create a bit of a barrier for adding national advantage units yet too.

But I don’t know when I’ll have much time to work on it again.

• 2007 AAR League

WHAT!!???

How dare you say that to ME?  :-D

Anyway…  I can see how needing javascript would slow things down.

I guess I will just have to live with this inferior product… <sigh>:wink:

Keep up the good work and if I come up with any more boneheaded ideas I’ll be certain to demand you implement them immediatelly.  :-D</sigh>

• 2007 AAR League

I tried running 1 sub vs 1 sub in AACalc 2.0 and it would allow combat to occur.

I tried various combinations of abbreviations (as per the example) with no success.  I verified no check boxes were checked (not chicken subs).

Any ideas?

• 2007 AAR League

@Baghdaddy:

I tried running 1 sub vs 1 sub in AACalc 2.0 and it would allow combat to occur.

I tried various combinations of abbreviations (as per the example) with no success.  I verified no check boxes were checked (not chicken subs).

Any ideas?

Not sure what the problem is. Subs can fight subs, no?

• 2007 AAR League

Hmmm.  I left out the key word “not” in that first sentence.

I was running a sim of 1 sub 1 bmb v 3 tran and AACalc 2.0 was not recognizing the existance of the sub.  I added one to the defender side and still no subs.  I removed everything except the subs and still no subs (no combat).

I shifted to AACalc 1.0 and the subs were recognized just fine.

If it happens again I will book mark it.

• 2007 AAR League

I’ve now had several requests for the ability to do attacker only / defender only attacks - should be easy to do. I’ll also add Game ID to e-mail subject lines, which was a request of the DAAK crowd. Hopefully next week sometime. Multi-group OOL may be pushed off a while though… we’ll see.

• I could prolly write up a thingy in JavaScript.  Someday.  Lol.

• 2007 AAR League

Ok I’ve added the Game ID to the e-mail subject line, and I believe you can already roll the dice for one side at a time…

• 2007 AAR League

Well my week off was pretty busy.

The only update is this - you can now enter up to 999 of each unit type, instead of 99.

That is all.

• Thanks Dan.

We have actually had a few games that were approaching the 99 unit limit on some large scale battles.  I doubt we will ever need to be worried about 999 being a limit.

• 2007 AAR League

Cross-posted:

Okay, I have made a change that I think will make some people happy.

If using a game ID when rolling combat, you can add additional e-mail addresses to the form and they should all receive the results. It will however always add in the saved e-mail addresses as well, you can just add extra ones now if you want.

• 2007 AAR League

All righty, I have fixed a glitch were e-mails were not displaying properly.

• '19 Moderator

Let’s all vote, should Ender change his name back to Frood?

I vote yes…

• I second that motion…

All in favor?

• 2007 AAR League

Otay. But only if you give me good karma :wink:

I’m not going to be back significantly, I was just checking in because I was notified of a glitch in AACalc that I’ve now fixed.

Anyone here play Battle for Wesnoth?

• @frood:

Otay. But only if you give me good karma :wink:

I’m not going to be back significantly, I was just checking in because I was notified of a glitch in AACalc that I’ve now fixed.

Anyone here play Battle for Wesnoth?

Are you tired of Revised, Dan?  If so, you should check out our miniatures forum.  Mot has done an awesome job adapting his Mapview program to play AAM by forum.  Miniatures play relies more on tactical considerations such as line-of-sight, maneuverability, range, etc. rather than raw strategic/economic factors as tends to be the case with Revised.  It is great fun trying out different army builds and pulvering your enemies’ Panzers (or Shermans or T-70s or whatever . . .). :lol:

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I vote Nae.

:P

• 2007 AAR League

@Gamer:

Are you tired of Revised, Dan?  If so, you should check out our miniatures forum.  Mot has done an awesome job adapting his Mapview program to play AAM by forum.  Miniatures play relies more on tactical considerations such as line-of-sight, maneuverability, range, etc. rather than raw strategic/economic factors as tends to be the case with Revised.  It is great fun trying out different army builds and pulvering your enemies’ Panzers (or Shermans or T-70s or whatever . . .). :lol:

I still like the game. It’s just that when I PBEM, I get obsessed and it takes over my life. Plus I kept getting my ass kicked by Gargantua and his wacky tactics, it just took some of the fun out of it.

But it’s not the game, it’s the time… esp. with a baby on the way and me having to keep my job to support a family now.

• 2007 AAR League

What’s with Frood’s site… It seems to be down?

As for Bidding: the only other place or tool I know for bidding is DAAK. Do you guys know any other site for bidding?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m