• How could running back to port be worse than being sunk?

• I also think that the island base unfortunately may promote super stacks. Think about it. Japan starts toward the US with a rather large fleet. The US has a medium size fleet it moves to Hawaii. Japan also brings in a secondary fleet to help from the Solomons. The US builds 3 or 4 fighters on west coast. Japan inches closer for the kill. US flies its fighters to Hawaii (island base) Now your at a stand off as neither power has an advantage. Before you had to have multiple carriers to protect your fleet, now you can just move to safety and bring in more planes. I don’t know does an air base have a limit to how many air units it can hold. Its just like trying to take Moscow and those damn Brits keep flying fighters over.

• What advantage does an airbase give you in the game? We were already allowed to land anywhere.

• @Brain:

How could running back to port be worse than being sunk?

I didn’t say it would be worse then getting sunk. I’m saying if you choose to take the hit it will limit your defenses and most likely force you to retreat. This would surely hamper your mobility. It could also cost you plane.
    @Brain:

What advantage does an airbase give you in the game? We were already allowed to land anywhere.

Now if you land on an island w/airbase any of the ftr & tac bmr on that island can def the surrounding sz just like they were on a carrier.

• Thanks for the answer on the airbase a +1 to you.

But a mobility problem is better than no ship because it is sunk.

• I still don’t think super stacks will be viable. If Japan takes all of her ships over to the Hawaiian islands then that will leave room for ANZAC to come from the South. I really think the board will be too big for a stalemate to occur.

• Lulz…Anzac only makes 9 IPC in this game to start out with! Thats ONE destroyer a turn! If I was japan I wouldnt feel threatened by such a small force.

• @Brain:

Thanks for the answer on the airbase a +1 to you.
    But a mobility problem is better than no ship because it is sunk.

I agree but I just wanted to point out that it will be bitter/sweet

@maverick_76:

I still don’t think super stacks will be viable. If Japan takes all of her ships over to the Hawaiian islands then that will leave room for ANZAC to come from the South. I really think the board will be too big for a stalemate to occur.

I think your right, there will be many more smaller sea battles at the same time because of the larger spaces and more nations. I also think you have the potential for smaller fleets and a lot of air units coming together at these island bases to set up def as the enemy converges its many resources to the same area. Hopefully NO’s and convoy’s will help keep fleets a little spread out. After all its all about the green$$$

• There arent any NO’s in this game…just the global game

• More sea zones also means it will take more turns to cross the ocean.

• Good, the Pacific is a massive beast.

• can you put dive bombers on carriers?

• yes

• awesome! its they get a bonus when fighting with fighters or tanks? if its both then naval combat is going to rock!
    (dive bombers get to chose what casualties are chosen!)

• The whole game is going to rock

• Customizer

k, so what about this?

1-1-2-16 carrier unit with 2 hitpoints

or

0-0-2-14 carrier unit with 2 hitpoints

i would almost rather have the second version… but i think either would be great

• 0-0-1-16 2 hitpoints planes cant land on them after the first point, until they are repaired. idk guys carries (without planes) dont have any guns. so WHY give them any defensive value? or offensive value either? They arent EVER used for attack, they sit in the back and let the planes to that.

• '10

There arent any NO’s in this game…just the global game

Per LH

No tech, but there will be NOs. Actually – there well be tech but it will only be used in what I’m calling the “Global game”.

• I think 1-1-2-16 sounds good. Carriers did have defenses against planes but not really against other ships, that is why I think the original 3 defense was whack. I think the best solution should be 0-1-2-15, either that or what I mentioned above.

• Thanks jonnymarr, I have never been happy to be wrong. But this time…its actually cool. I love the NOs in AA50.glad they will be in AAP40

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m