• 2007 AAR League

P90 = Coolest gun ever

• 2007 AAR League

@cyan:

i know the names of like 5 guns ak-47, berta, uzi and now the saw. pretty sad.

What’s even sadder is your math skillz - that’s 4 guns, dude  :-D  :lol:

• @froodster:

@cyan:

i know the names of like 5 guns ak-47, berta, uzi and now the saw. pretty sad.

What’s even sadder is your math skillz - that’s 4 guns, dude  :-D  :lol:

5 sounds better  8-)

• what’s a berta?

• 2007 AAR League

I wondered too, but looking at it now my guess is “beretta”

• that’s what i assumed as well, i was just poking fun at our local linguistic expert  8-)

• '19 Moderator

@Jermofoot:

I know this is old news, but it’s interesting to see what people look like beyond their avatars and posting content.  It looks like a lot of fun.

I’m just surprised that I could essentially identify every weapon there, and I kinda abhor guns (for what they do, but yes, they also wow me).

Have any WW2 weaponry, Dezrt?

Yeah, I’ve got an M1 Garand, A Kar98 (1941) and a Carcano (1942).  I used to have a P38, but it was stole years ago.  I am not actively looking, but I would like to eventualy pick up a decient Mosin Nagant and an enfield to make a good european theater set, I supose I could pick up and arisaka and have the axis and allies grand slam…

• you should get a MG42 they have a demo of it firing on you tube.

• @dezrtfish:

Yeah, I’ve got an M1 Garand, A Kar98 (1941) and a Carcano (1942).  I used to have a P38, but it was stole years ago.  I am not actively looking, but I would like to eventualy pick up a decient Mosin Nagant and an enfield to make a good european theater set, I supose I could pick up and arisaka and have the axis and allies grand slam…

Awesome.  Which do you like the best?  And is the Carcano the Italian rifle?
    I’d be looking for a BAR or a Thompson, myself, but I like your idea of the rifle collection (probably be easy to keep up  with as well).

• '19 Moderator

I’ve fired an MG-42 is awesome, the most fun full-auto I’ve fired and I’ve fired a few.  It burns though belts.

The Carcano is the Italian rifle.  It’s in great shape, “Only dropped Once”. :)

Auto’s are a pain to own because of the paper work and licencing fees.  I would love to have a BAR other wise, that’s one of the WWII weapons I haven’t fired.

I have Fired  the MG-42, MG-34, MP40, Sterling(I actualy fired this one in Iraq, we had a captured one that we took to the range), Thompson and the PPsh, Russian Submachine gun.  That’s the list of WWII all though I guess the Browning M2 counts even though we still use it.

• @dezrtfish:

I have Fired  the MG-42, MG-34, MP40, Sterling(I actualy fired this one in Iraq, we had a captured one that we took to the range), Thompson and the PPsh, Russian Submachine gun.  That’s the list of WWII all though I guess the Browning M2 counts even though we still use it.

I’m not familiar with the Sterling…do you mean the Sten?

And which PPsh was it?

• '19 Moderator

The sterling replaced the STEN, I don’t know much about it, I had assumed it was WWII era, but I guess they didn’t start fielding them until the 50s.  It’s simmilar to a STEN, stripped down to only the essential parts.

I’m pretty sure the PPSh was a 41.

• @dezrtfish:

The sterling replaced the STEN, I don’t know much about it, I had assumed it was WWII era, but I guess they didn’t start fielding them until the 50s.  It’s simmilar to a STEN, stripped down to only the essential parts.

Well, that’s amazing because I thought the Sten was about as barebones as you could go: cheap, easy to produce, fairly reliable as well.

I’m pretty sure the PPSh was a 41.

That would be 32 or 71(72?) rounds of goodness?

• '19 Moderator

It was the stick, the drums are pretty rare from what I understand.

• 2007 AAR League

is the k98 the mauser '98 used by germany as standard issue?  what’s the gun used by germnay, their assualt rifle that the russians copied. i forgot its name.  sturmgievvere or something?

• 2007 AAR League

Sturmgewehr would be German for assault rifle (literally “Storming armament”)

• @balungaloaf:

is the k98 the mauser '98 used by germany as standard issue?

I believe that is right.

Also, you may know the assault rifle as a STG44.  Sometimes also called an MP44, but I think that is a misnomer.

• '19 Moderator

It was originally named the MP44, because Hitler would not authorize the development of a fully automatic infantry rifle.  He believed that the production of a new type of ammunition would not be worth the logistic problems.

So, it was classified as a “Machine Pistol” to disguise it’s development as an upgrade of the MP40.  It was tested in the field and when the demand for more of the “new rifle” reached Hitler he learned about its existence and tested it himself.  He was thoroughly impressed and renamed it the Stg44 Sturmgewehr, I believe translated it’s “Storm Rifle”.

• @dezrtfish:

It was originally named the MP44, because Hitler would not authorize the development of a fully automatic infantry rifle.  He believed that the production of a new type of ammunition would not be worth the logistic problems.

So, it was classified as a “Machine Pistol” to disguise it’s development as an upgrade of the MP40.  It was tested in the field and when the demand for more of the “new rifle” reached Hitler he learned about its existence and tested it himself.  He was thoroughly impressed and renamed it the Stg44 Sturmgewehr, I believe translated it’s “Storm Rifle”.

Ah yes, there’s more to the story.  And I think for English speakers, assault rifle makes more sense than storm rifle.

• '19 Moderator

By the way I’ve held one, but never fire it.  If you could find one for sale it would probably run between $8k to $10k.  I will probably never own one… :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m