• Hello all!

I wanted to share a whacky yet simple change to Global 1940 I’ve had some fun experimenting with recently. I cannot take credit for the idea nor can I recall who should – I only remember it mentioned in passing by another user somewhere on this forum. In any case, it has certainly been an interesting twist in my playgroup and I thought I’d share a few thoughts since trying it out.

Basically, the change is just about the alliances:

Axis:
    Germany
    Russia
    Italy
    France

Allies:
    Japan
    US
    UKE/UKP
    ANZAC

(No change to turn order)

China is a bit of a wildcard in the handful of times we’ve played this change. We began by keeping China on the Allied side, but maintained the rule limiting movement to within China territories & Burma. However, a Russian invasion of China in this situation is incredibly difficult. Bolstering fast-growing stacks of Chinese infantry with piles of Japanese planes proved an insurmountable problem for the Russian player. It also allowed the Japanese to strike Russian stacks from behind a formidable stack of Chinese defenders, turning bordering Russian territories into deadzones. We figured lifting the no-leaving-China rule would just break the scenario altogether.

The previous two games, however, have placed China as a strict neutral. It’s a little more awkward but definitely more enjoyable. Setup is the same and China will continue to collect income until its final defeat. Purchased infantry are placed in Szechuan or, after it falls, any other territory. It’s not a situation that will last long, not between the invading Russians and Japanese.

Other changes:

All nations begin at war against those of the opposite alliance. There are no National Objectives.

We play this version with all neutrals (strict and friendlies) as strict neutrals. However, neutrals can be invaded individually without triggering the whole bloc. In effect, there is no friendly neutrals ever and all neutrals can be invaded willy-nilly. The DEI are a complication. The chance Axis forces will ever reach them is not good so they are a serious boon to the Allies. We house rule this by reducing their value to 1 IPC each. A bone thrown mostly for ANZAC to boost its otherwise perpetually-low income.

The setup is the same except obviously those French and British jointly-held zones. Our preference is to place the French cruiser in 110 with the rest of the fleet in SZ93 (we have also moved the DD from SZ72 to 93 as well, but thoughts differ on that change). The French fighter and infantry in the UK are moved to France. The British artillery and tank in France is moved to the UK.

And basically that’s it.

To wrap up, I just want to share a few reflections from this simple change. First off, it’s great to finally get to use all those blue pieces. Very fun to see a loaded French carrier staging off of Gibraltar for an offensive against South America.

The Axis are at an economic disadvantage under this scenario but can focus on Africa and neutrals for quick income boosts. Using the nearly same setup as G40 means there’s a lot of positioning in the first few rounds but lots of little battles on the peripheries.

Strategies are vastly different, particularly for the Axis: Russia must now look east and south; Germany quickly becomes a naval power; Italy can focus entirely on Africa; and France can help defend the Med while adding to German naval power in the Atlantic and forays into the Middle East. The Allies are fun, too: the vast majority of the Japanese Navy can spread out to menace the Atlantic and Indian Oceans; America can focus solely eastwards; the UK can consider amphibious assaults on northern Russia, invasions through the Caucasus and Persia; and ANZAC can do, well, whatever it wants.

We also like how different areas of the map come into play. With the free-for-all neutral rule, South America becomes an enticing goal for both alliances. Central America with its canal is hotly contested – we’ve seen the Axis stage a masterful takeover to prevent the Japanese navy from passing through it. Sub-Saharan Africa is also a more active region. And China becomes a meatgrinder of Japanese and Russian forces. We’ve seen India fall to Italy and Russian fleets in the Pacific while UK pours into Southern Russia from the Caucasus and France captures South Africa. Quite different each time we play!

If you’re looking for a G40 scenario that is easy to implement and a big change, I’d suggest giving this one a try. Besides IRL, I’ve played this a couple of times on TripleA using an edited .xml file and the computer alone provides a fun challenge.

Let me know if you’ve tried anything like this before, or feel free to tell me this is all just silly LOL!

• PantherP Panther moved this topic from House Rules on
  • 2024 2023 '22

@plasticknight

This is a cool scenario.

I came up with an idea called “Armies vs Navies”.

The Axis (or Armies) are China, France, the Soviet Union, and Germany.

The Allies (or Navies) are Japan, ANZAC, US, UK, and Italy.

I’ll tell you more if I can find the thread I suggested it on.

• @plasticknight is there a way to play this on TripleA?

• @theveteran

You can change political relationships using edit mode.

No national objectives can be changed to my knowledge however.

Also keep in mind that you can’t use AI when playing such a “switcheroo” as it would keep messing the sides up.

• @superbattleshipyamato lets play one

• 2024 2023 '22

@theveteran

Really? This version? Or a regular one?

• @plasticknight

What are the victory conditions?

• @plasticknight

Also, does the Mongolia rule still apply?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m