šŸ‘‹ Introduce or Re-Introduce Yourself (Current)

• Hello Fellow A&A Enthusiasts!

My name is Tim MacPherson. Iā€™m from Albany, New York (well a suburb thereof).

I started playing A&A in college circa 1998. A buddy of mind introduced me to the original game complete with the styrophoam unit well that came in the box. I was pretty much hooked instantly. We all played a lot of risk with our friends and room mates. When i saw A&A for the first time my mind was blown!

I remember going to a book store, maybe it was Barnes & Nobles back in the earlyish 2000ā€™s and seeing A&A Europe (the original version). So youā€™re telling me Russia has land zones that are circular in shape? And Germany starts with HOW MANY SUBMARINES??? Mind blown! By this time it was really just me and my soon-to-be dentist friend who played hard core. We had some friends who still played, but not like we did.

It was in this game that my buddy first came up with a submarine screen against me. Brilliant! I can only attack at most two, if i divide my navy and then heā€™s just going to swarm me from every angle with subs i canā€™t even reach on my attack moveā€¦ Why didnā€™t i think of that? I use to work in bio-pharmaceutical process sciences and later went to law school (early mid-life crisis), now iā€™m an Admin. Law Judge for the Department of Environmental Conservation. Soā€¦ I think iā€™m pretty smart, but i will admit, the bloody dentist is probably a bit smarter than me (a bit - and donā€™t tell him i said that).

It was a few years later that i went to the mall and was looking through a board game store when I saw the pacific version. I couldnā€™t believe it! Insta buy! We tried like heck to figure out how to merge the two games. Made up all kinds of silly stuff to try to make it work. Our prayers were eventually answered when G40 came out.

Anyway, we played most of the A&A games. Guadalcanal eluded us and was just too pricey when out of print to buy. Thanks to Renegade i just got my copy a few days ago. That one was a decade in the making and we canā€™t wait to play it. Exceptā€¦ Yeah weā€™re going to play N. Africa the next time we get together. 100%

But the one i always wanted was Anniversary Edition. It was easily $500+ and that was used. I finally found a lightly used copy in 2012 for $300. And i bought it. Imbalanced though it may be, it is still a great version of the game. When the reprint happened, i bought three copies. One for me, one for my dentist friend and one to never open!

Anyway, in the DIY/crafts department, iā€™m working on making some fighter/bomber stands using nails, washers, mini magnets and gorilla glue. I figure iā€™ll put magnets on the aircraft carriers as well. If anyone has any helpful DIY tips on that end iā€™d love to see a video or read something about it.

We are all married with children at this point so we really only get to play about twice a year when we do our semi-annual college boys get together. Stillā€¦ love the heck out of these games.

And i canā€™t wait for N. Africa! a couple more weeks and i get to play against myself. Then against my bud in January. It looks absolutely fantastic and we both love that Renegade has added new mechanics rather than just giving us a new map to play with the same rules. We are insanely excited to play it!

Cheers and glad to be a part of the forum.

-Tim

• @MacFierce17
    Welcome to the forum !

• @MacFierce17
    WELCOME!!!
    Always great to hear another A&A enthusiasts story.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m