USA play for Advanced players (help)

• Sponsor

To balance our games, we use house rules over bids, bids I feel are better suited for the online forum games rather than table top gatherings. I do find it interesting how most bids are used against the Italians who in my opinion are the weakest threat out of all three Axis, but I do see how 1 or 2 units won’t mater early enough in the Pacific.

• @Young:

To balance our games, we use house rules over bids, bids I feel are better suited for the online forum games rather than table top gatherings. I do find it interesting how most bids are used against the Italians who in my opinion are the weakest threat out of all three Axis, but I do see how 1 or 2 units won’t mater early enough in the Pacific.

Yea, it makes sense to go after the weakest power because they are the most vulnerable.  The gains you can make after the first round are much higher than if the bid was more focused against a stronger power.

• Sponsor

@ghr2:

@Young:

Yea, it makes sense to go after the weakest power because they are the most vulnerable.  The gains you can make after the first round are much higher than if the bid was more focused against an stronger power.

Good point!

• ghr2 the wise

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@Young:

@McX:

Slacking? Maybe. We certainly don’t author pages of moves in notation. But I don’t think so, I play with (and have taught) a few people, intellectual types, chess players almost all of them, who are good at this sort of thing. This game is really not that complicated mechanics/strategy-wise, it’s just big - but I like that, the idea that what you do on one side of the planet affects the other. I know my explanation was probably simplistic to many of you, but I was just reporting the success I’ve had playing as the US and watching. I’m mostly here for rules clarifications :)

Sorry if we came across the wrong way, your explanation was excellent and what we meant to say was… stories of the Allies winning most games seems old to us, we now believe the situation to be the opposite because of some well tested strategies by the Axis that the Allies have not yet been able to counter. We had games where the Allies were winning all the time and then someone showed me a strong Axis strategy that someone showed them, etc…

I think I’m over 40ish games this year alone in the league with about 8 in progress now, and I can say what YG is saying is true.  Axis play is getting very hard to counter, particularly the use of the German air force as a can opener to the Middle East.  Keeping Egypt usually only happens by chance

The standard bid for the allies used to be 6 or 9, but is now creeping up to 12 and 18, depending.

The problem for the allies is that raised by this thread: it takes the US too long to get engaged with any amount of strength.  Japan can conquer the pacific before the US can even hope to threaten it navally.  You charge against Europe and Japan becomes unstoppable.

• Sponsor

I’m currently play testing a house rule that would disallow the purchase of Industrial Complexes, and only allow minor complexes to be placed on territories that have victory cities. So Germany won’t be able to build in Romania, Finland, or Norway, Japan will only have Shanghai, Hong Kong and the Philippines as eligible territories for minor complexes, and the US can pretty much only build a factory on Honolulu. This should slow down the German and Japanese advances while allowing the US to support and advance their navy in the Pacific a lot quicker.

• @Young:

I’m currently play testing a house rule that would disallow the purchase of Industrial Complexes, and only allow minor complexes to be placed on territories that have victory cities. So Germany won’t be able to build in Romania, Finland, or Norway, Japan will only have Shanghai, Hong Kong and the Philippines as eligible territories for minor complexes, and the US can pretty much only build a factory on Honolulu. This should slow down the German and Japanese advances while allowing the US to support and advance their navy in the Pacific a lot quicker.

Well, it hurts Japan, but I would think that it gives germany and edge since there can’t be a persia factory, which is huge!

• Sponsor

@ghr2:

@Young:

Well, it hurts Japan, but I would think that it gives germany and edge since there can’t be a persia factory, which is huge!

There’s actually more to it than what I mentioned above, you can learn more by visiting my YouTube video explanation…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNX81DAQc6I

Or by visiting the thread in the house rules forum…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=34493.0

• If I read the league standings correctly (but only looking at tier1),
    Axis wins (Allied losses) total 63% and Allied wins (Axis losses) total 37%. Now this is from only 197 tier1 league games played, but still it should give us some clue about how difficult hardcore strategists find playing the allies and thus, to a certain extend ofc, America.

I find it hard to give advice on the USA because it depends very extremely on what the axis powers do.
    1 thing stands out though: it looks like Europe cannot receive too much IPC-love from the USA anymore because otherwise Japan will grab a 6VC win. No more ‘Normandy’…

• @Young:

@ghr2:

@Young:

There’s actually more to it than what I mentioned above, you can learn more by visiting my YouTube video explanation…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNX81DAQc6I

Or by visiting the thread in the house rules forum…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=34493.0

Nice video YG.  How much have you play-tested the complex change?

• '20 '18 '17 '15

You can’t place a factory on the Philippines; it’s an island.

And it’s rare that I see a factory in Norway or Sweden, not as a part of a winning Axis strategy, anyway.

• I think, the problem is Canada.
    When I play the Allies, the problem I usually get is, that I fail on Logistic.
    I can allways ONLY focus on weapons OR personals and trannys on one turn.
    But we know from history that Canada was a vital manufactorer of weapons and armour for the allies.
    Maybe a HR will fix this problem by:

When the U.S. is at war Canada contributes some portions to the allies as for the us in the Atlantic one DD and a bmbr for the uk.
    And for pacific US one DD.
    Each round!
    For the pacific, Australia must be allied controlled.
    As for the atl. .Canada must be allied controll for the DD.
    UK must be allied controlled for the bmbr.

What you think??

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m