• Yeah it does make the Paris battle just a bit harder and riskier to planes.

@Axisplaya:

Still great for Japan against India, but that’s about all.

Agreed, an India crush is a little bit easier now, but other than that this change is pretty pro-Allies.

• @Axisplaya:

@gamerman01:

Pardon my ignorance, but I didn’t see the changes that take away Sealion.  Please explain.

Now Russian can attack Germany on R3 if Sealion is successful. That leaves Germany VERY out of positon for at least 2 rounds… This is very discouraging for Germany.

I overlooked that.  When I saw that rule, I was thinking USA and that it was no change, but it’s Russia.  Jeez.  This is why I posted - thanks, Axis

• @Alsch91:

Yeah it does make the Paris battle just a bit harder and riskier to planes.

@Axisplaya:

Still great for Japan against India, but that’s about all.

Agreed, an India crush is a little bit easier now, but other than that this change is pretty pro-Allies.

He could have taken an infantry away from Paris.  Jeez.  The Axis needed help, not further roadblocks…

• Customizer

@gamerman01:

Pardon my ignorance, but I didn’t see the changes that take away Sealion.  Please explain.

The 4 AAs on London can now be taken as casualties.  Odds of success are now below 50% for Sealion.

• @Alsch91:

It’s the fact that London gets 4 free soak hits that kills Sealion.

Yeah, I see he didn’t take anything away, either.  That does severely hamper Sealion, which opens up a lot of options for UK, which, yes, I agree is going the wrong direction as far as balance….  I guess we’ll just be bidding high for Axis to compensate.

• @jim010:

@gamerman01:

The 4 AAs on London can now be taken as casualties.  Odds of success are now below 50% for Sealion.

Yeah, thanks Jim, the other guys beat you to the punch.  I understand now - see previous post  :-)

• Gotta like the improvement to mech infantry for tech, though, right?  Just upping the attack to 2 from 1 when paired with a tank was a joke.  At least now they can blitz alone.

• '10

@gamerman01:

Gotta like the improvement to mech infantry for tech, though, right?  Just upping the attack to 2 from 1 when paired with a tank was a joke.  At least now they can blitz alone.

yup, that’s nice !

And about the 4 AAguns in UK, i guess, on top of the others Axis problems, we will now see much more scrambling on G1 in sz110 and 111.

• Really, is there any good reason for letting the AA guns take hits?  Cause if he thinks 5 IPC’s is too much for an AA gun that’s lost on capture, he could lower it to 4.  This is, of course, the wrong venue to get change, but not the wrong venue to vent.

• Customizer

@Alsch91:

It’s the fact that London gets 4 free soak hits that kills Sealion.
    4 AA guns can now shoot at 12 planes - more than Germany has - so the Luftwaffe is in just as much danger in a Sealion attack as before.

Didn’t see that this was answered already.

• Hmmm AA guns as casualties……

Now we have ground based soak off hits to take into consideration.  They shoot their load against the planes and then can be taken as casualties without losing any defensive pips to the defender.

One change this will bring is that it makes strafing attacks into AA fire more likely.  Now, as the defender, you have to consider your OOL and if you really do want to lose a 0 defense AA gun or keep it in case your opponent retreats.  I know I strafe every opportunity I get and it would be sweet if my opponent chooses to lose his aa gun when I was going to retreat anyways.

• Russia and the US enter the war if London falls.

Let the baiting of Sealion begin!  To hell with 9 inf and 1 art.  I’m buying naval on UK 1!

• Crap, with the AA rules, 1940 is becoming more different from AA50.  I for one will have difficulty playing them both at the same time, when AA gun rules are now so different.  It’s a little like the transports going from hit soakers to “big bonus at the end for winning the fleet battle”….  :|  As far as being difficult to switch back and forth between 2 versions of A&A…

• @gsh34:

Russia and the US enter the war if London falls.

Let the baiting of Sealion begin!  To hell with 9 inf and 1 art.  I’m buying naval on UK 1!

Naval or air, what with the airbases becoming super-fortresses.  :-P
    Yeah, it might be a decent strategy to leave London nearly empty after UK1, if Russia and USA get to enter the war on round 2……

Trying… hard… not to … commit A&A blasphemy by criticizing Larry Harris… must control…

• I can’t do it.

Once again, with the development of P40, E40, and all the changes after it, I question Larry’s ability to understand all the ramifications of the rules he establishes or changes he makes.  Exhibit A: Unlimited scrambling from airbases.  Exhibit B: The debacle of deciding what boats Italy has in the Med.

And now this.  Wow.  Does he have any idea what he has done to the game with his AA changes, etc etc.  I doubt it.  I pointed out to him that AA guns were over-priced after he made them destroyed upon capture.  Oh yeah, he says, I guess I should lower the cost to 5. <shudder>He says this version is pretty much final and will be published.  He said that about Alpha 2…
    Wake me up when this game is truly finalized.  I think you guys are right - this Alpha 3 ain’t gonna cut it.  Nice try… no cigar.</shudder>

• Well, I can’t wait to try it out, but I’m also very depressed at the results.  The shining light is an attempt to address the Russian/Japanese war.  I like that Russia gets Mongolia if Japan attacks them. (like in my house rules) but there also needs to be a reason for Russia not to attack Japan, right?

I also thought there was a reason no aa gun was ever placed in France.  Wild random air casualties G1 would greatly skew results, so taking it out means the developer can control to an extent German losses on these required attacks.(Paris)  Really dislike this addition.  I also don’t like his aa gun idea.  For some reason it is impossible to scrap the idea entirely and use the cardboard pieces as a new unit!  They are static aa gun emplacements!!!

Too early to get frustrated, but I think that hurricane scrambled more than New England…

• @jim010:

Am I the only one who thinks Alpha 3 is a step backwards?

Nope.

I feel (just feel, never played yet) Allies gets even better in alpha3. Why :
    1. Russia can rigth after London falls… which means Germany can’t have a turn (or 2) to turn around and still have initiative against Russia.
    2. London gets 4 more hit points free. (AA’s can now take a hit, after they fired)
    3. Paris can now down planes and gets an extra hit point (new AA)
    4. Interceptors get downed before now (logical, but favors allies IMO)

Just 1 (kinna) help to Axis. Japan can now easily attack Russia without giving any candy to allies.

All other changes are somewhat minor, certainly not a game changer.

I say Alpha 3 is less balanced than alpha 2. OOB gives not a single chance for Axis to win. Alpha 3 is hard… only alpha2 gives a fair chance for Axis (say 40%, as major error for Axis is fatal, while still possible for Allies to win with major error)

• '22 '21 '16 '15

guys if I read this, I have to consider that all of you have years of experience with Alpha+3.
    Play first, judge later  :mrgreen:

• I don’t see how any change benefits the Axis, who seemed to need the assistance.  I don’t see how this levels the KJF strategy.  I don’t see how this makes the game more balanced or better.  The AA gun rules are horrible.  I am not impressed one bit; moreover, I’m truly saddened to have gotten my hopes up for a nice balanced version.  So sad.

• I agree with you guys! I’m kinda disappointed.

I will play it, but IMO it doesn’t look good for the Axis.

The only advantages for the Axis is that the Brits probably won’t get to Gibraltar and that India is less protected.

Sealion is dead, a Japanese attack on Russia is suicide, France is all the harder to get and Russia is as strong as ever.

I don’t see how this is more balanced.

Nevertheless I’m looking forward to play-test it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m