• Official Q&A

Yes.

• @94Canuck:

Question on Russia.  I read the global political situation and it says USSR cannot wage war against a European force until the 4th turn.  It would seem that they can declare war on Japan anytime they wish then, is that correct?

They can declare war on Germany and Italy as soon as Italy or Germany declares war on Russia.  Thus, Russia could declare war on Germany on R1 if attacked on G1.

• '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Krieghund:

Yes, but the transports would not be automatically sunk.  Since they can retreat, they are not defenseless.  The fighter would get one shot against the transports before they could retreat.  Of course, if they choose not to retreat, the fighter will sink them all eventually.  Either way, there will be no amphibious assault.

I have a question along similar lines.  The last game that I played my opponent tried an amphibious assault that required us to resolve the naval battle before but he was unsuccessful in sinking all of the defending ships, because of unlucky or lucky dice rolls depending upon how you look at it.  We were wondering if the transport is immediately sunk or if it can retreat?  And if it can retreat can does it get fired upon before?  I don’t think we’ve had a situation like this arise before in all of the games of AA50 and AA40 that we’ve played…  We had the transport just get sunk, but in hindsight I think he should have been able to retreat it.

• Official Q&A

When the attacking warships and/or planes are all destroyed, any remaining defender hits are applied to the transports.  At the end of the round, the surviving transports can retreat normally.  If for some reason they can’t retreat, they are destroyed.

• '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Thank you!

• Can a single unit kill unlimited numbers of unprotected transports?

• Official Q&A

Yes.  Think of it as attacking the transports and rolling to hit for round after round until they are all sunk.

• TripleA

This is new to me.

So if a Transport is alone in a sea zone, and a ship or fighter comes in.  Attack rolls and misses, the transport can retreat and end the sea zone combat?  I always thought it was an auto kill, did no know about the retreat option.

• Only the attacker got the option to retreat.

• Yes, so transports can retreat when they are with an attack force.

• My english isnt very well, but i hope you understand me!  :-)

Okay, let us imagine that i have a aircraft carrier with one tactical bomber on it and i have two fighters which are able to reach this aircraft carrier.
    Now my question: can i move in the non combat move my tatical bomber from the carrier to a friendly territory and simultaneously land the other 2 fighters on this carrier?! :?

and my second question:

if i play ussr and attack japan in t1 i can also capture neutral territorys. Also Pro-Axis territorys? or only pro allies?

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Zorrodog!  Your English is fine.

1. Yes.

2. Once USSR declares war, it can immediately attack unfriendly or strict neutral territories and claim friendly neutral territories.

• correct me if I am wrong but i thought carriers were limited to 2 airplanes

• @Henz:

correct me if I am wrong but i thought carriers were limited to 2 airplanes

At the end of the turn.  The third one landed elsewhere.

Basically, 1 carrier can service 4 planes.  2 take off and land on land.  2 start from land and end on the carrier.

A lot of players make the mistake of having a carrier per 2 fighters.  That’s best for maximizing defense, but for maximizing strike capability and offense, you want 4 fighters per carrier.

• Official Q&A

@gamerman01:

@Henz:

Not just at the end of the turn, but at any given point in time.  Zorrodog’s example is OK because one plane left at the same time that two others were arriving.

• @Krieghund:

@gamerman01:

@Henz:

Not just at the end of the turn, but at any given point in time.  Zorrodog’s example is OK because one plane left at the same time that two others were arriving.

Carriers are limited to carrying 2 planes at the end of a turn.  Carriers don’t actually carry planes at any other time during the owning power’s turn, so I’m confused by your distinction.

All he was asking is whether he can swap out planes on a carrier during noncombat, which of course you can.

• Official Q&A

I made the distinction simply because a carrier can provide a potential landing space for only two planes, limiting the number of planes that may rely on one for a landing space after combat.  While Zorrodog’s example was limited to a noncombat swap, Henz’s statement was potentially much broader.  I just didn’t want anyone to read into your answer that they could “juggle planes in the air” as long as there were only two per carrier at the end of the turn, after combat losses.

• yeah my main thought was taking extra planes into a combat expecting to lose some but land the remaining ones after

• @Henz:

yeah my main thought was taking extra planes into a combat expecting to lose some but land the remaining ones after

All planes need to have a legal landing space following the assumption that you will lose nothing and your opponent will lose everything.  After combat, all planes MUST land IF they can.  So you cannot send 4 planes assuming 2 will die and only having a landing space for 2.

Following the assumption that you will win every battle with zero losses, it is possible to send planes into a fight and in a seperate seazone send a single unit to clear out a massive stack which would (if you were to win) clear the way for carriers to move in noncombat to provide a space.  In that instance, the sub would likely die, and the planes would also likely die as they no longer have a legal landing space in the noncombat phase.  That’s the only way to legally send planes on a one way mission.

• TripleA

Reading the rule book, a bit confused on this one.  If Japan attacks UK/Anzac pre-USA 3, can the USA opt to come in the game early?  Or only if they are attacked themselves pre-USA3.

Also, USA gets the boost at collect income USA 3 or once at war if before correct?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m